Expedition to the Barrier Peaks: Androids, Robots, Assorted Flora and Fauna

VorpalBunny

Explorer
The more I look at it, the more I like 1d10/1d10 too. CR of the plant is tenatively bumped back to 7, and the sap's gp value seems right at 2,500 gp.

Thanks, PC.

the Jester

Legend
VorpalBunny, once you're done, I'd love a copy of the conversion you're working on too! :D

I have the original somewhere, and occasionally mull over running it again.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
the Jester said:
VorpalBunny, once you're done, I'd love a copy of the conversion you're working on too! :D

I have the original somewhere, and occasionally mull over running it again.

When it's done, I'm planning on submitting it to the conversion library so anyone that want's it will have free access to the conversion. :)

VorpalBunny

Explorer
The tri-flower frond. This is a direct conversion from the AD&D 2e Monstrous Compendium. It seems kind of underpowered as is for this adventure, so I have an 8 HD/CR 6 version I'm playing around with also. I'm undecided whether to advance the plant for the adventure or stick in the 8-HD version.

TRI-FLOWER FROND

Medium Plant
Hit Dice: 3d8+3 (16 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 0 ft.
Armor Class: 12 (+2 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: Tendril +2 melee (pollen)
Full Attack: 5 tendrils +2 melee (pollen)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Enzyme, tubules
Special Qualities: Plant, tremorsense 5 ft.
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int –, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: Temperate and warm forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or stand (3-10)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 4-7 HD (Medium), 8-12 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

The deep green stalks of this plant are topped by trumpet-shaped flowers of vivid orange, bright yellows, and intense red; other color combinations are possible, but rare.
Combat
Each flower has its own function. The orange one shoots 5 pollen-covered tendrils, each 5 feet long; any creature struck must make a successful Fortitude save or fall into a coma for 1d3 hours. The plant's sensitive rootlets tell the yellow blossom where to find the slumbering victim; the yellow bloom bends over and shakes down a shower of sticky enzyme that will begin digesting the victim. The red blossom extends tendrils into the helpless victim, draining body fluids and sucking up digested material.
Pollen (Ex): Creatures struck by the orange flower’s tendrils must succeed at a DC 12 Fort save or fall into a comatose slumber. Sleeping creatures must make another DC 12 Fortitude one minute later or sleep for 1d3 hours. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Enzyme (Ex): After a victim falls unconscious, the plant’s tremorsense ability allows the yellow bloom to bend over and shake down a shower of sticky enzyme that causes 2d4 points of damage per round until washed off (damage is reduced by 1 point per flask of water; complete immersion in water removes the sap in one round).
Tubules (Ex): As the yellow bloom’s enzyme begins digesting the victim, the red blossom extends tendrils into the helpless victim, draining body fluids at a rate of 1d6 points of damage per round, then sucking up the residual matter after the enzyme has dissolved the victim’s body.

Tuzenbach

First Post
Nice work, VB! When I first found this website back in January, one of the initial things I did was to find this "conversion" forum and dare to ask the question "What, no conversion for Barrier Peaks?!"

You're easing much of my dissatisfaction!

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Tuzenbach said:
Nice work, VB! When I first found this website back in January, one of the initial things I did was to find this "conversion" forum and dare to ask the question "What, no conversion for Barrier Peaks?!"

You're easing much of my dissatisfaction!

Thanks. Now all I have to do is finish it. ;)

VorpalBunny

Explorer
The "horrid plant" up for feedback.

HORRID PLANT

Medium Plant
Hit Dice: 10d8+23 (hp 68)
Initiative: +5
Armor Class: 14 (+1 Dex, +3 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+8
Attack: Stalk +9 melee (1d6+1)
Full Attack: Stalk +9 melee (1d6+1)
Special Attacks: Spell-like ability
Special Qualities: Plant, blindsight 30 ft., telepathy
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +7
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 15
Skills: Bluff +10, Concentration +12, Diplomacy +15, Hide +12, Knowledge (local) +6, Knowledge (nature) +9, Sense Motive +8, Spot +10
Feats: Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Toughness, Weapon Focus (stalk)
Environment: Unique to the Barrier Peaks
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 8
Alignment: Neutral good
Advancement: -

The leprous yellow-gray and ugly scarlet colors of this intelligent plant belie its peaceful and inoffensive nature, as do its spike leaves, bloated bottle-like stems, twitching tendrils and writhing roots. If any intelligent creature comes within 5 feet of this creature, thinking questioning thoughts, the plant will communicate telepathically. Range is 5 feet.
Spell-Like Ability: 4/day – lightning bolt (DC 15). Caster level 10th. The save is Charisma-based.
Telepathy (Su): The horrid plant can communicate telepathically with any creature in a 5-foot radius that has a language.

Last edited:

VorpalBunny

Explorer
The globe palm.

GLOBE PALM

Medium Plant
Hit Dice: 8d8+8 (44 hp)
Initiative: +2
Armor Class: 9 (-5 Dex, +4 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 9
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+1
Attack: Globe +1 ranged touch (special)
Full Attack: 6 globes +1 ranged touch (special)
Special Attacks: Nausea
Special Qualities: Plant, tremorsense 5 ft.
Saves: Fort +7, Ref -3, Will -2
Abilities: Str –, Dex –, Con 13, Int –, Wis 2, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: Warm forest
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 2
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 9 HD (Medium), 10-12 HD (Large)

These tall slender trees are topped with coconut-sized fruits of varying colors. Walking under one of these palms will cause the plant to release fruit. The skin of the fruit is taught, and when it hits an object (usuall a creature or the ground) it will burst, spraying its contents in a 5-foot radius (as a grenade-like weapon).
Nausea (Ex): If liquid contents of a globe hit a creature, the victim must succeed at a DC 14 Fortitude save or become nauseated (DMG p. 301) for 1 hour. The save is Constitution-based. Additionally, the incredibly offensive smell of the liquid allows creatures to detect the affected character as if they had the scent special ability at double range. The liquid can be washed away with at least one gallon of alcohol, otherwise it will persist for 1d3 hours.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Hmmm. Apparently the Squealer is one bad mammajamma when it's converted over to third edition... ;)

SQUEALER

Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 12d8+48 (102 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 30 ft., climb 15 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+19
Attack: Bite +14 melee (1d8+6)
Full Attack: Bite +14 melee (1d8+6), 3 claws +12 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, rake (1d6+3)
Special Qualities: Sound imitation, darkvision 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +9
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 4, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills: Climb +9, Hide +4, Listen +6, Spot +6
Feats: Alertness, Cleave, Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Power Attack
Environment: Temperate plains, hills, mountains and forests
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 13-17 HD (Large)

Sound Imitation (Ex): Squealers can imitate the death shrieks and cries of various animals to attract prey. Listeners must succeed at a DC 16 Willpower save to detect the ruse.
Improved Grab (Ex): If a squealer hits a Medium or smaller creature with a claw attack, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. No initial touch attack is required. A grappling squealer can attempt to rake its opponent.
Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +12 melee, damage 1d6+3. The squealer can use all three of its claws in a rake attack.
Skills: Due to their coloration, squealers receive a +8 racial bonus to Hide checks when hiding in foliage and trees.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases