What are the important ingredients of a good adventure?

nikolai

First Post
What are the important ingredients of a good adventure? Of the best of the "classic" adventures out there, what makes them so good. I'm interested because we often get long threads recomending good modules, but little is said about what sets them apart from the crowd.

Crothian

First Post
There's a difference between what's important for an adventure and what makes a good module.

A good module has a good story, but not an over abundance of one. It has a variety of encounters that mix it up and has the possibility to supriser the PCs. It can make a player think and have fun.

Steverooo

First Post
Variety
New Technology/Magic
Chances to Use Different Area-Related Skills
Novelty
Problems/Puzzles
Conflict
The Possibility for Gain
The Possibility of Loss
A Chance to Use Skills
Memorable NPCs

Wormwood

Adventurer
nikolai said:
What are the important ingredients of a good adventure?
1. I don't have to change anything*.
2. The boxed text** is good.
3. The other text*** is good.

* That's why I paid you, moduleboy.
** "Read this aloud to the players". Well, I'm gonna read it as-is, so please don't make me sound like a dork.
***The stuff like hit points and what's in the chest. Please don't ruin my campaign.

Last edited:

Altalazar

First Post
It has to stir the imagination - and have some "high concept" bit to it that is memorable.

It has to have that certain quality such that certain obstacles, as they are overcome (or not) end up being gaming table legends to be told again and again - and compared with others who have run the same module.

Those are what really set apart the best modules. Hard to define exactly how to get there, though.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Classic adventures are flexible enough that almost any campaign world can handle them. Yet they are distinctive enough that when a player says to another player "we played Sinister secret of Saltmarsh" everyone knows what that entails. That first module was MARVELOUS. I still use the town of Saltmarsh in my campaign world. And when new players see it on the map, they immediately start telling others about their experience.

Another point they have to have is mood. The mood in "Keep on the Borderlands" was very different from that of the Ravenloft adventure, but each was definitive and memorable.

Gilladian

Steverooo

First Post
johnsemlak said:
Nice list. Short but succinct :)

Thanks, John... If you're interested in the verbose, explicated version, go here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ad2300/goodadve.htm

PS: This version is slanted more towards Sci-Fi, since it's on my 2300AD Web site, but replace "technology" with "magic", and it's much the same. I also have a Fantasy version of this article around here, somewhere... I'll see if I can find it, if there's any interest...?

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
A good adventure has a personal touch. Not just "The king hires you because you're available, and the price was right", but something that gives the PCs are more personal attachment to whatever it is they are doing.

Walter_J

First Post
Background, Setting, Antagonist(s), Mystery (including surpises and new "stuff"), Versitility, and the Rational which ties it all together.

Some classic examples, off the top of my head:
The Steading of the Hill Giant Chief. I've used that adventure dozens of times over the years as a setting for anything from rescue missions, escape scenarios, even a "random encounter" where the PC's encountered a band of hill giants and tracked them back to their lair.

Keep on the Borderlands, for similar reasons. Tons of NPC's between the Keep and Caves and a wide variety of things that can happen, including murder and political intrigue.

I think one of the important keys to a good adventure module is that you should be able to remove the author's "story" and still make full use of the adventure.

Remove ads