New Spells: Crystal Blade, Crystal Wand of Power(Edited)

Merlion

First Post
Alrighty, some more crystal spells.
With the blade, the obvious comparison is to Mordenkainen's Sword. My spell is never subject to spell resistance, and can be used by others..and it has a greater threat range. But it has much lower damage and attack bonus, strikes as a weapon not a spell, and lacks the benefits of being a force effect.
The wand is pretty hard to compare against. It may be too much at 4th, but it does have a risk factor.

Crystal Blade
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 0
Effect: Crystal blade
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell summons a blade composed of iridescent crystal. The blade may be wielded proficiently by anyone proficient with the longsword, or shortsword, or the caster may command it to attack on its own. The blade has a hardness of 10, and 1 hit point per caster level (max 20).
The blade deals 1d8 slashing damage with a threat range of 18-20, and has an enhancement bonus of +1 per five caster levels. Additionally, it deals another 1d6 magical damage per attack. At 13th level this damage increases to 2d6.
If the caster commands the blade to attack on its own, it must stay within Close range of the caster (25 ft +5 ft/2 levels) and may attack only a single target at a time. The caster may change targets as a move action on his turn. When attacking in this manner the blade uses the casters base attack bonus + his Charisma or Intelligence bonus (for sorcerers or wizards respectively) + one-fourth the casters cast level (rounded down) + its enhancement bonus. It may make multiple attacks if the casters base attack bonus allows. The blade may only attack on its own for a total number of rounds equal to your caster level. You may only ever have one Crystal Blade in existence at any one time.

Crystal Wand of Power
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: 0
Effect: Crystal Wand
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell conjures a glowing crystal wand that can be used as a focus for spells. Casting a spell with the wand requires the caster to have both hands free.
Spells cast with the wand gain the following benefits:
+2 to saving throw DC
+2 caster level to overcome spell resistance
+1 damage per die.
The wand may only be used to enhance spells of 6th level or lower. Only the caster may use the wand, and no caster may have more than one wand in existence at a time.
XP Cost: 100 XP

Last edited:

nameless

First Post
Both spells are pretty interesting. I think Crystal Sword is a little too weak for its level, and Crystal Wand is a little too powerful.

If I were to remake the sword, I'd raise the duration to 10 minutes per level. I'd also give the caster automatic proficiency in the blade's (but no other longsword or shortsword) use. It's not doing much that a wizard wouldn't easily have access to mundanely at that level, so it might as well last for the better part of a dungeon.

The wand is little more problematic, just because it ramps up DCs and such with no drawback. First of all, I say you should give it a material or XP component. 100 gp material or 100 xp, depending on the flavor you want. I'd also make the casting time 1 minute, and have it last for 1 minute per level. Finally, I'd tinker with the +1 per 4 levels (max +5), since most level 4 spells should hit their caps around caster level 12-15. +1 per 3 levels sounds good to me there.

And I might make a Greater Crystal Wand spell that pumps up low level stuff even more, and works on higher level spells. =]

But this is just one man's opinion, of course.

Merlion

First Post
If I were to remake the sword, I'd raise the duration to 10 minutes per level. I'd also give the caster automatic proficiency in the blade's (but no other longsword or shortsword) use. It's not doing much that a wizard wouldn't easily have access to mundanely at that level, so it might as well last for the better part of a dungeon

Bumping the duration's probably not a bad idea. Giving the caster regular profciency doesnt really do a lot of good tho as he's not going to want to enter melee.

The wand is little more problematic, just because it ramps up DCs and such with no drawback

It does have a drawback. You dont know how many spell levels of use it has in it, and if you try to overuse it, it may blow up in your face.

The wand is little more problematic, just because it ramps up DCs and such with no drawback. First of all, I say you should give it a material or XP component. 100 gp material or 100 xp, depending on the flavor you want. I'd also make the casting time 1 minute, and have it last for 1 minute per level. Finally, I'd tinker with the +1 per 4 levels (max +5), since most level 4 spells should hit their caps around caster level 12-15. +1 per 3 levels sounds good to me there

Although its unusualy for me, in many ways with this spell I'd rather just bump it up to 5th level. Although adding an XP cost might be interesting...

Merlion

First Post
Ok I gave Crystal Blade a slight damage increase later on, and upped its independent attack bonus slightly.

I added an XP cost and a duration to Crystal Wand of Power and removed the limit on spell levels.

Merlion

First Post
Greater Versions

And here we have the greater versions

Greater Crystal Blade
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 8

As Crystal Blade accept as follows: the blade has a hardness of 12 and 2 hit points per level (max 25). It deals 1d10 base damage, and 3d6 energy damage per attack. This increases to 4d6 at 19th level. When attacking independently its attack bonus is your base attack bonus + your Charisma or Intelligence modifier (for Sorcerers and Wizards respectively) + half your caster level + enhancement bonus. Additionally, the blade has the Defending property, and you may make use of it even when it is attacking independently.

Crystal Wand of Greater Power
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 6

As Crystal Wand of Power accept as follows: spells of 5th level and below receive the following benefits: +3 saving throw DC, +3 caster level checks to overcome spell resistance +2 damage per die. Spells of 6th level and above are enhanced as per Crystal Wand of Power.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases