Curtains #1 - A Crossing of Paths

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Dr. Steven Faturius (Professsor Fate) HPs: 0/4

The Hightower Convention Center Ballroom, Downtown, Coast City
April 16
21:52

Maggie said:
Maggie gives Steven a curious look. "What? Do you think someone had threatened her ahead of time or something? Wonder if she's ever had contact with one of these metahumans before through her organization."

"Could be . . . could be. Now is not the time though to question her about these things," Steven said. "After all the press, police, and dignitaries have left, I might be able to get some answers. Now I just want to relax, enjoy your wonderful company, and make the best of our enforced stay until we're released."

Mimic

First Post
April 16
21:52

Rybaer said:
The bartender, a guy of probably about the same age as Thomas, is already sliding him another drink. He gives him a knowing look.

"Looks like you're going to stretch that dude's hundred tonight," he says. "You know, if you're hard up, I could set you up with my cousin. She's halfway cute and might be into your type. Last guy she dated thought he was a vampire or something like that. Don't think she's seeing anyone right now."

Half way cute huh... sure why not, hook us up.

Velmont

First Post
Jack said:
"The gum, however, I can help you with." He tosses over the entire pack. "You can keep the change."

"Thanks again." and Lawrence start to search for an employee of the hotel, asking if he couldn't have access to a bathroom with a bath or a shower, and maybe, some cleam clothing.

Rybaer

First Post
April 16
22:26

Another half hour passes, during which the three criminals in custody are taken away - two under their own power and Pestilence in some manner of plastic containment unit.

Dr. Gull, no longer wearing his surgical mask, again takes the stage and calls for everyone's attention. This time he is flanked by a higher ranking police officer in uniform.

"I have good news," the doctor begins. "Certain information regarding the metahuman who referred to himself as Pestilence has been brought to our attention. We have strong reason to believe that the power he used on the people here is not a traditional disease, but something that triggered a physical reaction more akin to a severe allergy. It is not believed to be contagious. For this reason, the police have authorized an end to the quarantine. You are all welcome to leave. I do encourage any of you who were affected to still check in with your personal physician just to be sure everything is okay."

The weight of uncertainty is lifted from the room and the convention attendees collect their belongings and start to file out through the kitchen. Sandra Poynter makes a quick announcement that the balance of the Metahumans@Work conference will go on tomorrow as scheduled, though due to damage to the ballroom some room assignments will be changed.

The bartender gets Thomas' name and phone number and promises to check with his cousin about setting up a date between them.

Dr. Faturius manages to corner both Lawrence and Jorgi before the crowd is let out. He gives them more or less the same line that he gave Granite earlier.

Dr. Faturius said:
"I'm glad Professor Fate was able to show up and help out. In fact, he mentioned that the group of you worked rather well together. He thought it might be a good idea for me to get some numbers or some way to contact one another if there was any other trouble. To that end, here's my card - you can call my cell at anytime and I can make the call to Professor Fate."

Steven and Maggie return to the limo and make good time back to his apartment. Steven nods off during the ride and Maggie insists on making sure he gets up to his room okay while the driver waits for her.

"You did a good job tonight," she says. "It was interesting to see you in action like that...and I agree that you seemed to work well with the others. Might have gone badly for you if they weren't there.

"I'd invite myself to stay for coffee or something, but you look absolutely beat. Get some rest and I'll talk to you later."

She gives him a peck on the cheek and closes the apartment door behind her.

Lawrence pins down one of the Hightower employees, who in turn passes along his request to a manager. By the time the quarantine is lifted, the Hightower staff has arranged a complimentary room along with a line of credit for room service and laundry.

A manager personally delivers a room key to Lawrence. "With our sincere appreciation," she says. "The owners won't be too happy about the property damage, but the situation could have been far worse and lasted much longer. Just call the desk if there's anything else you need."

Marie only chats with Jorgi for a few minutes before she has to return to work.

"I'm busy through the weekend and have an exam Monday night, but if you want to do something Tuesday that'd be okay," she says. "Maybe something a little more low key."

She gives Jorgi her number and then disappears into the kitchen with a tray full of empty glasses.

Jack finds Jorgi a few minutes later.

"Hey man, feeling any better yet? Look, I've got some help for tomorrow already. Why don't you come by the office Monday morning around nine and we'll get you started with some of the equipment."

(All - please check the ooc thread.)

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
Excerpt from the Coast City Chronicle

Mutant Hostage Incident Foiled
by Arty Hagan
April 17

Shortly after the conclusion of dinner at the Metahumans@Work Conference last night, four metahumans took the entire assembly hostage. One, using the ability to conjure metal seemingly from nothingness, sealed off all the exits from the room. Pestilence, as the leader of the band stylized himself, threatened to kill everyone in the room by use of a fast-killing disease that he could create at will. This threat was given credence when he infected an attendee and just as easily removed the malady.

Pestilence demanded the sum of $100,000 per head to be delivered within a scant few hours. His cohorts, two men in armor and a woman-insect hybrid, patrolled the room while the hostages turned to their cell phones to both summon the police and make payment arrangements.

Fate had a twist in store for the would be extortionists, however. A metahuman who just happened to be working behind the scenes at the conference, decided to take a stand against the mutants. Using an ability to generate powerful electric currents, the metahuman levitated himself off the floor and began hurling powerful bolts of lightning across the room.

While highly distracting, the electrical discharges failed to take out any of the assailants. Fate again thumbed her nose at Pestilence and his cohorts when a metahuman of incredible strength and stony flesh broke through the metal-sealed door from the kitchen into the ballroom. Accompanying this Granite was another metahuman - a young man capable of turning himself into a swarm of lightning quick and poisonous spiders.

The two newcomers wasted no time engaging Pestilence's three minions in a pitched battle of strength, speed, and superhuman powers. The electrical metahuman, meanwhile, continued to launch bolt after bolt of electricity at Pestilence. The plague-powered mutant managed to infect him in return, but not sufficiently to knock him from the air.

Only a few seconds after the spider swarm and Granite entered the room, Professor Fate arrived on the scene. Professor Fate, an enigmatic costumed hero, is known to have assisted in dealing with a handful of small crimes in Coast City over the last few months. It was later learned the metahumans who came to the rescue, aside from the one who was already present, had seen the live television feed of the incident and hurried to the scene of their own volition.

<edited for brevity>

Chief of Police Burt Bransten has previously admitted that his police force may be ill equipped to deal with certain metahuman or otherwise Curtain-energy related issues. Given the nature of the powers displayed by the mutants at the Hightower, the Chief has been proven all too prophetic.

While Professor Fate has demonstrated a willingness to help the city time and again, can the same be said for the other heroes from this incident? Can metahumans be counted on to deal with their own? Does the city even have a way to seek help in a timely manner?

The concept of a team of superheroes defending a metropolis from harm may once have been the stuff of comic books and movies. Ever since the Curtains first swept over the Earth, however, the world has become a very different place. Perhaps we can learn a lesson from the works of fiction.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases