Curtains #1 - A Crossing of Paths

Rybaer

First Post
The dark alley behind Moose's Pub, Downtown, Coast City
April 16
21:09

The lead thug spins and gets an excellent view of Granite's fist as it lands squarely under his jaw, lifting him in the air. The thug crumples to the ground and his pistol clatters harmlessly away. (Roll, 13+7+1=21, hit (16S); dmg save 19, fail, unconscious)

Granite's fist continues its motion while he spins and plants it firmly into another thug's chest. He, too, collapses to the sound of cracking ribs. (Roll, 6+7+1=14, hit (16S); dmg save 9, fail, unconscious. Takedown Attack, only one additional foe within 5' reach.)

Lawrence begins to move toward the lead thug, only to watch the other metahuman send him and another flying. He changes his path slightly and leaps at a surprised thug's gun. Lawrence twists the gun until it is forcibly removed from his hand and clatters to the ground. (Opposed melee - Lawrence roll, 8+13+2=23, vs thug 18, successful disarm)

The thug, not willing to risk picking up the pistol with Lawrence standing there, instead decides to try to grapple him. In spite of Lawrence's incredible agility, the thug manages to get his arms wrapped around his neck. (Attack roll 21, hit; opposed grapple - thug (nat 20) vs Lawrence (8+3=11), success; damage (1S) - save roll (11+2=13), miss by 4 - 1 stun hit)

The other three remaining thugs turn their pistols on Granite and open fire. One's gun jams, another's shot goes wide, but the third shoots true - right into the chest. The bullet flattens harmlessly against Granite's stony skin and leaves only a hole in his shirt. (Attack rolls of (nat 1, 9, and 21 - one hit); dmg (4L) - auto save from Protection)

The thugs, now that they've gotten a good look at Granite and saw how ineffectual their guns were, are starting to look really worried.

(ooc - hopefully I got the numbers right...my first time running M&M and there's lots of stuff on the character sheets that can be overlooked. BTW, Lawrence had to make a charge attack to reach his target, hence the changes to his attack/defense. I took the liberty of not spending your HP's as in each case your net bonuses were so overwhelming that even with a mediocre roll you were fine.)

Velmont

First Post
Rybaer said:
ooc - I took the liberty of not spending your HP's as in each case your net bonuses were so overwhelming that even with a mediocre roll you were fine.

OOC: Thanks, anyway, as I said, I didn't wanted to spend a HP against a goon, only against the boss who had his gun pointed on Gus.

Lawrence try to get rid of teh grapple, using his natural flexibility (Escape Artist: +16). If he is successfull, he will shoot at a goon who is shooting at the granite guy. (Dodge against all, All-Out attack: +3, Ranged: +10, Defence: 24)

Rybaer

First Post
Velmont said:
Lawrence try to get rid of teh grapple, using his natural flexibility (Escape Artist: +16). If he is successfull, he will shoot at a goon who is shooting at the granite guy. (Dodge against all, All-Out attack: +3, Ranged: +10, Defence: 24)

ooc - Shoot with what? You don't have a ranged attack or weapon. The gun that you disarmed from the thug is on the ground, which would provoke an attack of opportunity if you try to pick it up (not that you're too likely to get hit again).

Velmont

First Post
Rybaer said:
ooc - Shoot with what? You don't have a ranged attack or weapon. The gun that you disarmed from the thug is on the ground, which would provoke an attack of opportunity if you try to pick it up (not that you're too likely to get hit again).

OOC: Look at the disarm rules. If you try a disarm unarmed, you end with the wepaon in your hand, so I was supposing that I had the gun in my hand. Ifr I don't have it, I punch the guy who is grappling me.

Rybaer

First Post
Velmont said:
OOC: Look at the disarm rules. If you try a disarm unarmed, you end with the wepaon in your hand, so I was supposing that I had the gun in my hand. Ifr I don't have it, I punch the guy who is grappling me.

Gotcha - missed that. Yes, you have the gun now.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Hightower Convention Center, Downtown, Coast City
April 16
19:48

I really don’t mind speaking at these engagements, Steven thought, but the dinners are something to be avoided. He again smiled at the woman that was dominating the conversation. He appreciated that she had gotten so much from his seminar, Steven had just thought that perhaps she could have taken some of the tips about listening and group interactions more to heart. And Maggie, she wasn’t helping at all, except for the occasional ‘knowing smile’ that she cast his way now and again.

Steven wasn’t angry or even agitated with the woman, she obviously had issues and he wanted to be the sympathetic ear to her discussions. Plus, it wouldn’t help to allow negativity to enter into his mind just prior to his speech on meta-humans in the workplace and group dynamics.

He was concerned for Sandra Poynter, and had some suspicions about her story or perhaps there was something missing. He was also concerned for her health or condition but decided against asking about it when she came to him and nothing appeared wrong.

Sandra said:
Sandra turns and walks up to Steven, looking much better now. "Dr. Faturius," she says, "you'll be on in about fifteen minutes. I'll give a short introduction and then the stage is yours. Don't run too long or I'll have to get one of those long, hooked canes to pull you off." This last she says with a wry smile.

Steven nodded to her in understanding and politely excused himself. He went to the restroom to make certain everything was in place and any immediate needs were taken care of, then returned to the ballroom to await his queue.

Mimic

First Post
Rybaer said:
The other three remaining thugs turn their pistols on Granite and open fire. One's gun jams, another's shot goes wide, but the third shoots true - right into the chest. The bullet flattens harmlessly against Granite's stony skin and leaves only a hole in his shirt.

Thomas looks down at the hole in his shirt and then looks up at the remaining men. Damn it, this was my favorite shirt. Now I'm pissed.

Thomas will move up to the man that shot him and attempt to hit him.

<ooc numbers look good to me>

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
The dark alley behind Moose's Pub, Downtown, Coast City
April 16
21:09

Out of the corner of his eye, Granite notes that the bold young man has disarmed one thug, but the two are now tangled. He figures they can take care of themselves for a moment and he goes after the guy who put a hole in his shirt. He plants a solid fist into the side of the man's head, knocking him unconscious before he hits the ground. (Attack roll 9+7+1=17, hit (12S); dmg save 8, fail, unconscious)

Lawrence twists his neck and easily slips out of the thugs grasp. (Opposed grapple Lawrence 29 vs thug 8) He briefly ignores the unarmed man and fires the procured pistol at one of the gun-wielders. The bullet takes under the arm and he cries out in pain. He drops his gun and tries to staunch the bloodflow with his hand. (Attack roll 18+10=28, hit (3L); dmg save 5, fail, disabled)

Only two of the thugs remain standing, and only one of those still has his gun. Both decide to flee, running in opposite directions.

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
April 16
19:35

Radiant said:
"Became a lot better back here about five seconds ago. I'd take a coke but that would probably mean you will go away to get it. Don't like that idea."
He looks at her understanding at her uniform. He isn't big for appearances but for a goth this must be as close to hell as you can get.

She giggles. "I'll be right back with your drink," she says and runs off.

True to her word, she returns a few minutes later with a coke. She hands it to Jorgi and snaps her hand back as a jolt passes through the beads of sweat on the glass. Jorgi is quick enough to catch the drink before it falls to the floor. She looks a little nervous, particularly once she looks into Jorgi's eyes up close.

"Whoa," she says. "Didn't expect that. You're one of those...affected by that energy thing?"

Rybaer

First Post
April 16
20:12

Sandra Poynter takes the podium and gets everyone's attention. Projection graphics with the conference logos light up on screens on either side of her.

"Welcome ladies and gentlement to the Metahumans@Work conference. Since the first curtains of energy passed over us last November, the world has become a changed place. Some of you, many you know, have been changed in ways we are only now beginning to understand and appreciate.

"We cannot face these changes with fear and trepidation. Rather, we must face these new times in the spirit of explorers visiting new horizons, bravely entering unchartered territory. We must look upon metahumans as every bit the same people they were before the change, and work to build on the unique gifts they can offer.

"To get this conference off to a inspirational start, it is my great privilege to introduce Dr. Steven Faturius."

The audience applauds politely. Sandra steps down from the stage, pausing to shake Steven's hand as he walks up to the podium. She frowns for just a moment, hesitating as if she wishes to say something. Then she puts a somewhat forced smile back in place. "Knock 'em dead," she says with a wink.

(ooc - feel free to describe the speech, but please don't write it all out...this isn't fictional homework. :) The speech will go off without a hitch and the audience warms to Steven throughout, giving him genuinely solid applause at the conclusion.)

Last edited:

Remove ads