Centaur-kins

Ferret

Explorer
Actually thinking about it, this mix seems counter productive. The doppelganger half can no longer infiltrate, unless it infiltrates tauric creatures. Whereas the Displacer beast is a one creature killing machine. Now if the creature gains the Displacer beast mentality but the others intelligence fine, but I don't thinks thats how it works.

So it needs a new 'program', perhaps killing out of spite?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Oh yeah, I have to agree that they are no longer what we think of as doppelgangers. That’s just fine! ;) they’re still plenty useful. Sure, they can’t infiltrate too many societies besides centaurs, wemics, and the like… but hell they can get around just about anywhere as a horse, or a big dog… (“quadruped” of course means anything that usually walks around on four legs…”)

And yes, killing out of spite might be a good idea too. :D

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Some other ideas:

- gnoll/howler
- minotaur/gorgon (I used this in an FR game set in the Labyrinth and simply called him the Iron Beast)
- marilith/huge monstrous spider (handmaiden of Lolth)
- medusa/constrictor snake
- frost giant/frost worm (with sorcerer levels)
- hobgoblin/hell hound (a few fighter levels and spirited charge and you have a scary critter)
- azer/manticore
- nymph/constrictor snake
- dwarf or gnome/badger

Ferret

Explorer
BOZ said:
Oh yeah, I have to agree that they are no longer what we think of as doppelgangers. That’s just fine! ;) they’re still plenty useful. Sure, they can’t infiltrate too many societies besides centaurs, wemics, and the like… but hell they can get around just about anywhere as a horse, or a big dog… (“quadruped” of course means anything that usually walks around on four legs…”)

And yes, killing out of spite might be a good idea too. :D

Out of spite like in Dean kootz's watchers (with all that eye plucking).

Thri-kreen/chull.

Have I said that enough times now?

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
well, i could do 15 of these at once, but i prefer one at a time. :p

tell you what, anyone want to start another thread and take cracks at some of the many ideas posted so far in this thread?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
How bout dat:
Spell-Like Abilities: At will – mirror image, suggestion (DC 14); 3/day – charm monster (DC 15), fear (DC 15). Caster level 10th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Now that we’ve decided on its powers, we can talk a bit about what this creature is like. Ferret suggested that it acts out of spite – well, a creature with that much hatred would seem to require a switch to an evil alignment (which is not out of the question). Or we could make them simple hunting carnivores like a displacer beast. Or, we could make them just plain deceitful like doppelgangers – the perfect spies and assassins, or just troublemakers who like to play with other creatures. Or we could combine some of these. Or make something entirely new up for them.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Spell-likes look good.

Since displacer beasts are already lawful evil, switching 'em to evil isn't too much of a stretch. I'd like to see a combination of spy/assassin and killing machine. :]

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
oddly enough, so would i. :D

but i don't like lawful evil though.

and you know, to be honest, i've always had a problem with dopplegangers being neutral...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases