When was Tharizdun demoted?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Shouldn't he be a Greater God? Why is he an intermediate god now? After all if it took all the gods together to stop him I would think he'd be a heavy hitter.

Kamard

First Post
Cthulhu said:
Eh. Trust me, he's overrated.

Psh. Tentacle envy.

At least he's got the cool extradimensional prison. You're just stuck in an oversized bathtub.

And he's master of force AND madness. Far as I can tell all you've got is eating sailors and sending Arabs crazy dreams.

Psh. Some elder god you a-

*chomp*

GreyOne

Explorer
Maybe he's a lesser god now because few know of his existence anymore, or do not worship him. I would have thought of him being a Greater God too.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
The original idea behind his demotion, which came with the invention of "intermediate" gods in the 2nd Edition "From the Ashes" era, must have been that since Tharizdun was defeated and locked away by a consortium of several dozen gods, his power has waned, somewhat. Perhaps he's manifestly weaker. Perhaps, as I prefer to look at it, he can call upon only a fraction of his true power, which was sort of the purpose of the prison in the first place. Were he to be released, he would undoubtedly re-assume the greater god status that once was his.

Hell, he might very well transcend it.

--Erik Mona

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Shouldn't he be a Greater God? Why is he an intermediate god now? After all if it took all the gods together to stop him I would think he'd be a heavy hitter.

I agree with you there. Tharizdun was originally like Cthulhu and other creatures from the Far Realm in that he was pretty much beyond the abilities of other gods and beings. I think much like those who say stats for Cthluhu lessened him, that this is the case here.

Remove ads