Dungeon Crawl Classics #9

thundershot

Adventurer
According to PREVIEWS, DCC9 is totally different than the others... in that it's not an adventure... here's the text

DUNGEON CRAWL CLASSICS #9: DUNGEON GEOMORPHS
This d20 supplement features over 100 stand-alone modular map tiles that allow DM's to create dungeon layouts quickly and easily.

my thing is... why put this in the series of adventures? While I'm sure many people will find it useful, but why put it in the middle of a line of adventures? Couldn't it have been something separate? I buy all of the DCC books for their quality and ease of use, but it really hurts to have to skip one because I'll likely find no use in it (especially since I buy DCC so I don't HAVE to make my own adventures, and this book is to assist someone making their own)... I know it's probably too late for this to change, but I just wanted to express concern before this became common... keep the adventures rolling! :D

Chris

goodmangames

First Post
Well, it's too late to change, but thanks for the feedback. :) One of the reasons I opted to include it in the DCC series was because I got a lot of feedback from DCC fans who wanted geomorphs. So, seeing as how I've thrown you a curve, tell me what YOU want and I'll see what I can do!

coyote6

Adventurer
BTW, I bought the PDF version of Bloody Jack's Gold, and I quite like it. Good work, guys.

(We'll see how the PCs like it later. ;) )

thundershot

Adventurer
I WANT more adventures like Bloody Jack's Gold. So far, it's my favorite, but I enjoy all of them. First, I really enjoy the author's sense of humor in the text. It really added a lot to the initial read through before involving PC's. I like having some background that you can use as is, ignore, or adapt to fit your own setting. I like having open-ended adventures that spawn sequels, or even other plot ideas I can do myself. I love how the maps are done. I love having the creature stats right there without flipping through pages of other books.

Damn... I guess I just love how the DCC series is going, with Bloody Jack being one of the best (I haven't finished reading the Crow God, but it's gonna be fun too!). DCC books are a necessity for people like me who simply have no time to make their own adventures (my wife and I both work full time, and one of our gaming group is a college student living on campus, and we game out of my living room). So really, I appreciate the DCC series more than anything (and I need to know if there's another limited edition "point five" book coming out for a convention so I can have someone get it for me, since it's impossible for us to get to them).

Anyway... thanks!

Chris (heh.. in BJG last session, the 12th-13th level characters were HUMILIATED by mere CR 1/2 fiendish stirges! It was great!)

johnsemlak

First Post
Just out of curiousity, to the Dungeon Crawl classics work as an adventure path? I've noticed the character levels increasing...

thundershot

Adventurer
Ehh... not really. If you mix 'em up a bit, you probably can, though the Aerie of the Crow God is for a lower level than Bloody Jack's Gold. I split 'em up between the various groups I DM.

Chris

johnsemlak

First Post
Can someone post some comments on the other mods in the series?

I only have one, so I'll offer my comments on it.

#1: Idylls of the Rat king.

It's for character levels 1-3.

Spoilers The plot involves a wererat who has become the leader of a group of goblins, who are harrassing a local village. The Goblin's lair contains a deeper evil however.

I thought some the maps were unnecessarily complex and could lead to some extended walkling along passages that lead nowhere useful. In a PbP of this module I redrew the 1st level map. The plot was fairly cliche but there were some surprises.

thundershot

Adventurer
Oh, that reminds me (and I don't have the books in front of me to go over them all, sorry)... the one place in BJG... where the fiendish chuul is.. (I think it was a chuul).. I couldn't tell which way the water tunnels were supposed to lead into it.. then I realized (after reading it 12 times) that they went UNDER and the characters come out in the middle of the room.. at least that's how I played it out.. :D

Chris

goodmangames

First Post
thundershot said:
Oh, that reminds me (and I don't have the books in front of me to go over them all, sorry)... the one place in BJG... where the fiendish chuul is.. (I think it was a chuul).. I couldn't tell which way the water tunnels were supposed to lead into it.. then I realized (after reading it 12 times) that they went UNDER and the characters come out in the middle of the room.. at least that's how I played it out.. :D

Thanks for the feedback -- we included the cross-sections on B5 and D12-D13 but we should have included one on C3, too!

I'm not supposed to play favorites, but I have to admit that Bloody Jack's Gold is one of my favorite DCC's, too. Let's just say that I liked it enough to ask the author, Joe Crow, to work on a sequel.

As for use as adventure paths, the DCC's aren't designed as such. They're designed to be stand-alone and world-neutral. The idea is for an easy-to-integrate, low-preparation module that can fit into any world. The level range for the series will more-or-less rise as they go on, so it should be easy to integrate them into a continued campaign if you wanted to do that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases