The Mésalliance. Part 2. (Updated 11/28)

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
New years Eve BUMP.

Seppy, I really thought you might have something to finish off 2004 with but you've gone and let us all down you miser!!! ;)

Now hurry up and give us something for, EARLY, 2005..........please.

Babel

First Post
Y'know, I'm not convinced that Sep isn't some sort of imp in the service of the Powers Below. He posts works of fantastic brilliance just often enough to keep everyone reading but leaves great gulfs of sad silence in-between, during which weak souls turn to drink, opium and general debauchery to fill the void left by the lack of Sep Story Hour greatness. Slowly, surely, the corruption spreads, while his diabolic masters cackle and grind their mandibles...

But hey, that's just a theory - as well as a roundabout way of begging for an update. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must return to the debauchery which is my only way of escaping the absence of more Sep Story Hour greatness.

Last edited:

Lazybones

Adventurer
I don't remember if I've commented on this before, but if I have it's probably six threads and 1000 posts back.

I just got done rereading Jack Vance's Rhialto the Marvellous, and the influences of that story upon this tale are striking. In particular, the community of wizards in Wyre (and environs), the nature of magic (of course, Vancian magic inspired a lot of D&D's system, so that's not that surprising), the presence of a magician's code and a powerful, neutral enforcer (the Claviger), and to some extent the richness of language. I don't mean this in a negative/plagiaristic sort of way at all; in fact I think most writers are inspired by certain writers, and Sep is able to improve upon Vance in a number of ways IMHO. In particular, Sep surpasses Vance in his introduction of strong female characters into his narrative, and in the whole Eadric/spiritualist arc that started as an integral part of the story and developed into the mind-blowing philosophical debate that so many have commented on already.

On the other hand, I think we're going to have to organize a kidnapping party to secure Sep and situate him in some hidden location to finish the story for us.

ajanders

Explorer
Lela said:
So the winner could highly depend on inititive, unsurprisingly. Sleet Storm, on the side of the Winterwight, would be a powerful force capable of hurting the party a lot.

Can't argue there. However, the use of sleet storm may have a detrimental effect on they're ability to attack the party. Which may not matter, depending on how weak they are to begin with.

I have to disagree here.
Mostin's packing spells capable of ripping the plane apart. I very much doubt a sleet storm will noticeably slow him. A reality maelstrom doesn't give a fig for line of sight or miss chances.

GneralTsao

First Post
fafhrd said:
Hey Sepulchrave, can we get another provisional plan? :)

Yeah and this time we promise to heed the word provisional and not complain if it's a bit later (although it might be a bit earlier maybe perhaps...)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases