Infiltration?! (Your input desired...)

Alright, so here's the situation...

Our campaign, A Kingdom of Ashes, is full of 10-level fighter-types (and one bard)... a major city in the campiagn has just been taken over by dirty, disgutsting, evil draconids and a four white dragons supposedly looking for a ultron-magic sword/weapon of some sort... and our group is wondering what we can do about this...
We are in the process of attempting to rally an army (but because we're rebels fighting against the current king, it's a little difficult). So, we are sending out a call to all marginalized groups in the campaign world and hoping that we will have forced capable of taking the city back eventually... but, that isn't what I'm trying to get at...

Here is the information we have about the city--

-The city is situated on the edge of a cliff--at the bottom of that cliff is lots and lots of ocean.

-They draconids, with the help of undead labor, have cleared out a sort of "no man's land" on the three sides of the city--it's totally bare-- as to prevent people from "sneaking" into the city.

-The gaurds around the city—located every 80 yards—change positions independently every two hours so, at any given time, there is at least one "fresh" guard standing watch.

-Archers around the city seem as concerned with keeping people in, as keeping people out (they’re holding a bunch of people hostage and, our group assumes, they are turning them into undead slowly and painfully).

-This is what the DM has told us about the enemies in the city:

”There is Syvattagor (a giant beast of the half-dragon variety but, the group doesn’t actually know what he is--seems too smart to be a hill giant, too big for a fire giant...)
4 Huge (size category) White Dragons.
There are an estimated 1000 Ladonids (medium, lightly armored, camoflaged scout-type Draconids).
You are unsure how many Chameloids are in the city--you know that there are at least 250, but because of their shapeshifting ability, their numbers are hard to gauge.
There are 2000 Kerren infantry (small, heavily armed and armored Draconids)
There are 750 additional Kerren serving as aerial cavalry/scouts mounted on Wyverns.
There are 1000 Dahaka (Medium-Large, heavily armed and armored shock troops/marines).

In addition, there are at least 500 living humanoid-looking creatures serving as troops for the Draconids when you first scout them out...by week 4, that number has at least doubled. This number continues to grow, and in some cases you even see children joining their ranks.

There are also approximately 150 Vilewights, and 1000-2000 ghasts/ghouls/zombies. These numbers were growing quickly, but are now slowing a bit for an unknown reason. They certainly haven't run out of people, yet.

Most of the undead appear to now be serving as labor, working to strengthen the wall that has sprung up around Oceanus, and rebuilding the upper and lower docks that fell during the attack.”

There is the situation... a bunch of evil draconids have taken over a city full of innocent people and are making undead slaves out of them in order to find a super-magic sword.

If you were the heroes in this situation... what would you do?

Map...

Here is a map that might be useful... 'tis the city our group hopes to free... gives you a basic idea of the lay-out of the city.

Legend:
1) Docks, Upper and Lower
2) Navy Base (mostly demolished)
3) Amastacian Temple
4) City Watch (being used for holding cells/pens)
5) Centurion's Forest (clear cut)
6) Army Barracks - formerly used by refugees, now being used by Draconids. Unknown purpose.
7) Greyclaw Palace
8) Tower of the Red (Outer towers destroyed, main pyramid remains standing)
9) Apectan Cathedral
10) Centurion King Statue (being re-carved--ultimate shape as yet unknown)
11) Amastacia statue (also being modified)
12) Location (in Harbor) of great bone ship.

Thanks for your help, guys!

Attachments

• Map of Oceanus.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 471

jerichothebard

First Post
I hate to be a downer, but damn... you are in over your head. Write the city off and try to contain the damage.

I don't know - I mean, maybe the Universe expects you to take it over, but with that much firepower concentrated in one area, it really sounds like a plot device more than an actual challenge.

Plus, even though you are a rebel force, wouldn't the actual reigning king be expected to pull through some sort of counter-strike?

jtb

Xath

Moder-gator
Except for the fact that the reigning king is the one behind the evil undead/draconic army. He's a slimy creepy rat bastard. He removed all of the troops from the area right after the attack on Oceanus and sent them up north to attack the Bluestar (a really powerful evil, but a red herring who has nothing to do with the draconics/undead) The undead and draconic army are flying the flag of the Bluestar so that the king has a reason to send troops north to attack him, leaving the rest of the continent open for invasion from the draconics.

- Xath "the bard"

Black_Swan

First Post
Interesting

Ok...I couldn't get a good look at the map so I'm not sure of the layout.

I do remember that you said it's situated above a cliff. I'm figuring that the city is probably using that cliff to as a way to get rid of sewage. If you're lucky they probably have their sewage system exiting somewhere on the side of the cliff and spilling into the ocean below.

That's you entrance...hell of a climb to be sure but that's what hero's are for. It's not your job to reclaim the city. You can't. You will not be able take on a force of that size. In fact you shouldn't be trying to rally a new army when you already have the current kings army assembled and fighting someewhere else.

I say you enter the city from the sewers at night. Your mission is not to cause havoc or destabilize the kings hold on the city. Your mission is to extract a trust worthy member of the city. Perhaps a priest from the temple or someone who will be trusted by some of the kings army. If you have a chance take any other type of proof you can get your hands on. Don't go crazy though...it's not worth getting killed.

You then take this person and track down the kings current army. This is where the bard and all his charismatic charm comes to play. You then use this proof to sway as many of the kings men as you can. At the least maybe they'll send some riders to check out what you've found.

Atleast this way you've got a clear course of action. Try to gather some ragtag army and you'll be crushed. Why not use the kings own men to take back their homes?

Just my thoughts..

Talmun

First Post
jerichothebard said:
...1but with that much firepower concentrated in one area, it really sounds like a plot device more than an actual challenge.

I'd have to agree, it really sounds like hopeless odds. And this from the Dm who recently threw a band of 50 orcs at a 5 member 8th level party...

Black_Swan said:
Ok...I couldn't get a good look at the map so I'm not sure of the layout.

I do remember that you said it's situated above a cliff. I'm figuring that the city is probably using that cliff to as a way to get rid of sewage. If you're lucky they probably have their sewage system exiting somewhere on the side of the cliff and spilling into the ocean below.

That's you entrance...hell of a climb to be sure but that's what hero's are for. It's not your job to reclaim the city. You can't. You will not be able take on a force of that size. In fact you shouldn't be trying to rally a new army when you already have the current kings army assembled and fighting someewhere else.

I say you enter the city from the sewers at night. Your mission is not to cause havoc or destabilize the kings hold on the city. Your mission is to extract a trust worthy member of the city. Perhaps a priest from the temple or someone who will be trusted by some of the kings army. If you have a chance take any other type of proof you can get your hands on. Don't go crazy though...it's not worth getting killed.

You then take this person and track down the kings current army. This is where the bard and all his charismatic charm comes to play. You then use this proof to sway as many of the kings men as you can. At the least maybe they'll send some riders to check out what you've found.

Atleast this way you've got a clear course of action. Try to gather some ragtag army and you'll be crushed. Why not use the kings own men to take back their homes?

Just my thoughts..

The cliff is REALLY REALLY high-- it's actually a complicated system of levers and pullies that are utilized as a sort of elevator dock... you hook up your ship and then, it's pulled all the way up to the top of the cliff in order to actually "dock" if that makes any sense at all.

Moreover, it is highly guarded on all sides...

It does seem in many ways that we're up against something that is much too powerful for us-- however, in the same vein, we are building an army that will be--not of equal power-- but, I think, large enough to actually take back the city.
More importantly, within the walls of the city, lies one of the ultron-blades that our group sort of needs in order to keep it's power away from the big bad guys...

Your input is very appreciated, guys! Keep it coming, please!

kamosa

Explorer
Soft scout the city first

Does anyone ever cross the no mans land? Supplies? Reinforcements? Scouts?

Are there any caves under the city? How far would it be to dig into a building on the edge of the city? Can the bard turn a large group of you invisible?

At 80 yards per group of guards you have quite a bit of room to work with. Things like obscuring mist work on dark nights if you have 40 yards between you and the spotter. If you can quietly take out one set of guards, you have a whole 160 yards between spotters now.

What is the construction of the wall? How high is it? Does it run along the face of the cliff?

kamosa said:
Does anyone ever cross the no mans land? Supplies? Reinforcements? Scouts?

Are there any caves under the city? How far would it be to dig into a building on the edge of the city? Can the bard turn a large group of you invisible?

At 80 yards per group of guards you have quite a bit of room to work with. Things like obscuring mist work on dark nights if you have 40 yards between you and the spotter. If you can quietly take out one set of guards, you have a whole 160 yards between spotters now.

What is the construction of the wall? How high is it? Does it run along the face of the cliff?

Digging is totally out of the question-- we've got one dwarf... and it's MILES and MILES to dig...

Caves I'm unsure about...

The bard's invisibility only lasts 9 minutes.

The wall doesn't run around the cliff... however, the wall on the other three sides of the city is 30' Masonry wall...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases