Deep horizon

gfunk

First Post
Spoilers ahead!

Our DM is currently running us through Deep Horizon so let me offer a few comments as a player:

1) IMO, Skip Williams did a poor job with this one. There is (it seems) little to stop players from teleporting all around and try to kill the "leaders" of this adventure.

2) Our party teleported outside the Salamander lair and went in. Our idea was to parlay with the head Salamanders to see why there was a sudden drop in relations with the Bat-people (the name escapes me at the moment). We ended up getting ambushed by the NPCs who tried to kill Bandar. The encounter was too much for us, we made some significant kills but in the end, only two party members (of 5) escaped alive.

3) The bottom line, it seems, is to make sure that your players run this adventure in a strictly linear fashion. Make up whatever lame excuse or mechanistic reasons you want. This way, they can build up some levels before facing the more powerful foes. Otherwise, they'll wind up being TPKed.

Last edited:

Brainburn

First Post
I was geting worried.
I do like the premise of the adventure but it just seemed too damned hard. I really play "the bad guys" to their potential and I think if I did with this one I would wipe the PCs out.

I hate fudging rolls and encounters.
Crap!

Brainburn

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Spoilers!!

Derulbaskul said:
Actually, I would ditch Deep Horizon and replace it with Queen of Lies, a far, far superior adventure.

This is true.

That being said, I can explain why this may seem to be the case. My impression is that Skip Williams expects PCs to be *really* optimized. I ran Deep Horizon at GenCon, and the 13th lvl PCs were one level less than the recommended... and despite this, had little trouble holding their own. How is this possible, you ask? Here's the equipment and min-maxing level expected by the author, using Regdar's magic items as an example:

Belt of Giant Strength +4
Quiver w/20 m-work arrows
Greatsword+5
Full plate+3
Gloves of Dexterity +2
Mighty comp lbow+1
4 pots of cure moderate wounds
Cloak of Resistance +3
Amulet of Natural Armor +2
Ring of Protection +2

That's 109,995 gp worth, right under the mark.

If I were running it, I'd keep the first encounter the same, keep most of the slave situation the same (nerfing a bunch of the extraneous monsters by completely removing them), keeping the post-Desmodu village fight the same, and removing about a third of the monsters at the volcano.

Running it I had a blast, but we had two or three PCs die in the final fight... and those were really min-maxed!

Incidentally, gfunk, how did you teleport to somewhere you had never seen? That's generally impossible, even with tport w/o error.

gfunk

First Post
Piratecat said:
Incidentally, gfunk, how did you teleport to somewhere you had never seen? That's generally impossible, even with tport w/o error.

You can Teleport w/o Error if you have a reliable description. We talked to a lot of the Bat-people about the location of the Salamander lair, and were able to figure out its general location. We had no information about what was inside, mind you, just where it was.

Remove ads