Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Victory

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Virtue

Votes: 7 18.9%

Felon

First Post
Simplicity said:
Brine Justice is an Electricity Blast/Electricity Manipulation character. He's certainly not underpowered... Buildup + Zapp = virtually free xp.

Well, that statement's a bit deceptive. Pretty much every build gets a damage buff like Buildup & a sniper attack like Zapp, don't they?. They just get more out of it if they're consistently getting the benefit of slowing their foes or knocking them down, whereas the END drain is having negligible effect. Fought my first boss, and it became clear that END is all-or-nothing deal. If you don't tap'em completely, you pretty much had no effect.

Greywarden

Explorer
Arcadian Hunter had his first Task Force (Synapse TF) experience over the weekend (at L20), he looks back on it with mixed emotions. We did not beat the final mission... but this is only because of our original 7 heroes, the other Scrapper lost connection and three other jerks (Tanker, Controller, and Defender) quit at the end of the second to last mission. This left 1 Scrapper (me), 1 Defender, and 1 Controller to finish the TF... We got to the end of the last mission, but could not beat the CW King... We did conquer the surprise at the end of the next to last mission, which ain't too bad for a Scrapper/Controller/Defender trio.

Maybe I'll get a rematch before I hit 22.

Greywarden

Explorer
OK so no rematch with the CW King, I leveled before anyone was able to put a TF together. Maybe the next level Task Force will go better... expect to find out this weekend. At least I managed to get a solid working relationship going with the Defender from the last TF. Having a good defender at you back can really make a Scrapper's day.

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
I bought CoH... It's my first MMORPG since I quit EQ in late 2000.

Honestly playing a MMORPG again is bringing back all kinds of bad feelings and stress for me. Particularly in CoH, heroes seem to be very customizable. On the surface there are only five major archetypes, but there are the primary and secondary powersets, all the tertiary powersets available to anyone, and then on top of that you have to pick which of your powers to specialize in and "slot". It seems to me there is just too much that can go wrong and cause you to gimp your character. It stresses me out. There also seems to be a lot of ongoing fluxuation, things are getting nerfted left and right still. That stresses me out as well when trying to plan a character.

Any advice?

Farganger

First Post
Cordo said:
I bought CoH... It's my first MMORPG since I quit EQ in late 2000.

Honestly playing a MMORPG again is bringing back all kinds of bad feelings and stress for me. Particularly in CoH, heroes seem to be very customizable. On the surface there are only five major archetypes, but there are the primary and secondary powersets, all the tertiary powersets available to anyone, and then on top of that you have to pick which of your powers to specialize in and "slot". It seems to me there is just too much that can go wrong and cause you to gimp your character. It stresses me out. There also seems to be a lot of ongoing fluxuation, things are getting nerfted left and right still. That stresses me out as well when trying to plan a character.

Any advice?

As you say, there has been and will continue to be a lot of rebalancing and people intent on having a very efficient build get pretty worked up (at least on the CoH boards). A lot really depends on how you define "gimped". If all it takes is witnessing a few other PCs outdamaging or outlevelling you for you to feel gimped, I don't think you'll have much fun with this game, or many MMORPGs, but your EQ experience probably already suggests as much,

Believe me, I know how you feel, but I have gotten better at not worrying about it!

Greywarden

Explorer
Admittedly, I had no prior MMORPG experiences to biass my views of CoH, but my secret to enjoying the game is to play my characters and not worry about the rebalancing/nerfing that everyone else is spending so much time worrying about... curiously enough this is a fair assesment of how I handle PnP games as well.

Last edited:

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Farganger said:
If all it takes is witnessing a few other PCs outdamaging or outlevelling you for you to feel gimped, I don't think you'll have much fun with this game, or many MMORPGs, but your EQ experience probably already suggests as much
Actually I quit EQ just as it wasn't "casual gamer" friendly. After my daughter was born I couldn't afford to put in the time required. I've heard good things about CoH along those lines.

GodPhoenix

First Post
new roll call

So I was looking through this thread to find other players on the justice server...but it's really hard to tell what's up to date and what isn't.

Is anyone willing to host a website where people can submit:

Server name
Character name
character type
level (even though this will obviously change with time)

...pls ;)

ps - Justice - Mentacles - Controller/Radiant Emitter - L 11

Remove ads