Phantom Fungus

S'mon

Legend
I've hardly used any of the 'new' 3e monsters. They have a designed-by-committee feel. I use a lot of conversions fr 1e/2e.

The_Gneech

Explorer
Monte At Home said:
Other than in the initial playtests, I can't remember ever seeing a phantom fungus in play. I can't remember ever seeing it in a product. I know as a designer and as a DM, I have never used it.

It's not that it's a bad monster. The illustration doesn't thrill me, but that's just personal taste--it's a fine illo. But something about it just says "don't use me, keep on looking..." whenever I'm looking through the MM for a monster to use. I don't know why for sure.

I can tell you why the monster exists...

Well, I think you may be pointing at the problem right there: the creature was created to fill a metagame need. The phantom fungus is not a "neat" monster, nor is it iconic in any way, nor does it really have any particular storytelling appeal. It's there to teach low-level characters about invisibility.

I could see it as one of many critters populating Zuggtmoy's lair or some such place, but at that level all a phantom fungus is good for is fireball-fodder.

-The Gneech :cool:

Psion

Adventurer
I have used it. It was in a published adventure in dungeon though. (The one that used the maps from the DMG. Monastery of the Fire Opal or somesuch.)

Never deliberately placed one.

The_Gneech said:
Well, I think you may be pointing at the problem right there: the creature was created to fill a metagame need.

I think herr Gneech hit it right on the head.

When I am designing monsters, I only very occasionally think about "filling a niche of a low level invisible monster." In short, you have designed to a criteria that I don't *typcially use.

When I design adventures, I think more of themes and logic within the game. I might use the Phantom Fungus if I had a plant-themed adventure, or had a fungus covered cavern, but that's about it. I would almost never have the goal of "this low level party needs to face an invisible creature." (If I were to have a plant of fungus themed adventure locale, it would be a nice, flavorful addition to the same. But to date, I have no desire to do so. Though I guess whoever wrote the "plant consipiracy" section in Touched by the Gods thinks it's a worthwhile theme.)

My upcoming games will feature dragon-worshipping sorcerers and flesh-shaping mind flayers. All of the follow on encounters, other than random encounters in transit, will be built around what sorts of creatures would associate with, serve, or be found around such creatures.

* - I say typically, because on occasion, I like to give specific characters a chance to shine. Like a paladin/sorcerer in one game who I perceived as weak, had true strike plus his normal combat abilities as a schtick. It wasn't a great tactic, but I conceived a situation where hitting a high AC -- in this case, an amulet on an otherwise invulnerable villain -- was important.

Last edited:

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
There's one in one of the Co-something Dungeons that Trainz started. It's a ghost, too. Personally I've never used one, but I've only run a single campaign so far.

EDIT: Done. Sorry, piratecat.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Admin note: John, your sig is cool but way too big. In general, it's bad form to have a sig that is longer than your post. Please change it or tweak the formatting. Thanks!

Last edited:

Talmun

First Post
I used it once in the first 3.0 campaign I ran, although I have absolutely no memory of the fight itself, which probably says something.

I think it might be a cool creature to trot out when you just want something odd to freak-out the party, but as has been mentioned, it's not really tough enough as written to threaten even a third level party IMO.

I wonder if pairing it with a tougher, visible monster might make it more effective/compelling...

Last edited:

Wombat

First Post
Ah, the all-dreaded Mecha-Mushroom.

Nope, never used it in my games, but there are a lot of critters in the MM I haven't used for a variety of reasons. And, yes, a lot of the non-used creatures are because the monsters seem to be created around the rules, rather than monsters that seem to fit a mythological feeling.

For all that and all that, I have not used the Phantom Fungus, nor have I seen it used by anyone in any of the campaigns I have been in over the last three years.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Hmmm... I've never used a phantom fungus, though I have used an ethereal filcher. Mostly it was to see how desperate the players were. I had it steal something, then essentially taunt them while popping in and out of existance, all the while drawing closer and closer to the beholder's lair... They really hated that thing.

And actually, one of my groups has a flumph NPC which they all adore. Gorf, the "mighty wizard."

Sundog

First Post
*Some very minor RTTTOEE spoilers below*

Funnily enough, I have used one, albeit a modifed version. One of my players mentioned that he thought it was a really silly monster and that he couldn't ever see it being used.

So I placed it in the Crater Ridge Mines (Return the the Temple of Elemental Evil, Monte, you may be familiar with this product). I dropped it into the cavern with the evil druid and his bear companion. I modifed the creature - made it more of a Phase Fungus. It was visible only out of the corner of your eye - if you looked straight at it, it would disappear. The druid, of course, denied that it even existed...

Remove ads