Glassteel for those who miss it.

ElectricDragon

Explorer
Please excuse this if it has already been done.

Glassteel
Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, M, F, XP
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Touch
Effect: One metallic item
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
By means of this spell, the caster transforms a quantity of non-magical glass or crystal into a metallic object. The caster must have the proper craft skill in order to form the glass into its new shape (Craft (glassblowing) can substitute for any metallic craft skill). Difficulty checks are dependent on the quality of the object. Most objects need to be of at least masterwork quality. See Materials below for details on the material. Items made of glassteel are neither magnetic nor subject to rust. Magical glass items can not be affected by this spell.
Material Components: A substantial quantity of glass (double the amount needed for the item) and a small piece of steel.
Focus Component: A miniature glass sculpture of the item to be crafted.
XP Component: 50 xp/pound (or portion thereof) of glassteel to be created.

Material Type: Glassteel
Hardness: 15
Hit Points/Inch: 30
Weight: As steel
Item----------------Market Price Modifier
Light Armor-------------------+2,000 gp
Medium Armor-----------------+5,000 gp
Heavy Armor------------------+10,000 gp
Shield-------------------------+500 gp
Weapon Damage up to 1d3-----+500 gp
Weapon Damage 1d4 or 1d6----+1,500 gp
Weapon Damage Other---------+2,500 gp
Other Items-------------------+500 gp/pound

Special Abilities: Created by the spell, glassteel. Requires a Craft (armorsmithing), Craft (weaponsmithing), Craft (blacksmithing), or Craft (glassblowing) check appropriate to the type of item (see the craft skill description in the SRD). Finished products must be masterwork quality if possible. The resulting material is transparent and colorless; appearing much like clear volcanic glass. The weight of the item is as normal for an item of that type. Items made of this material are not subject to being dispelled. This material is subject to neither magnetism nor rust.

Ciao
Dave

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
When I got 3.0 edition (long ago), I was disappointed to see that Glasteel had disappeared. So, thanks for converting it to d20. Now, the writing could me more clear (sorry for my harsh critic):

the caster transforms a quantity of non-magical glass or crystal into a metallic object

This doesn't explain that the glass-item becomes a glass item (so still transparent) with the physical properties of metal, but seems to state that the item is changed from glass to steel (thus is no more transparent).

The caster must have the proper craft skill in order to form the glass into its new shape (Craft (glassblowing) can substitute for any metallic craft skill).

I really don't understand this. The original spell did just give the physical properties (resilience, hardness, etc.) of metal to a glass item, nothing more, nothing else. This phrases seems to suggest that it is like a Stone Shape spell in which the item's shape is altered. And now it also requires to have a specific craft skill... all of this is confusing.

Turanil

First Post
I suggest a plain basic conversion of the spell:

GLASSTEEL

Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, M, XP
Effect: One glass item of up to 10 pounds per caster level.
Duration: Instantaneous

By means of this spell, the caster modifies the physical properties of a glass item, so now while still looking the same (shape, transparency, color, etc.), it has got the resilience and hardness of steel. That is, the hardness and hit-points of the item is no more that of normal glass, but that of metal (see SRD Substance Hardness and Hit Points table). For mundane glass items, they are now treated as if Iron, and for masterwork quality glass items they are now treated as if Mithral. Note that glass magical items cannot be affected by this spell.

Material Components: A small piece of glass and a small piece of steel.
XP Component: 50 xp/pound (or portion thereof) of glassteel to be created.

:cool:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Weird; I had thought the spell made a metal item transparent, while keeping its metal nature. I'll have to go back and look.

In any case, there's no reason that this spell should be 8th level.

Seravin

Explorer
Piratecat said:
Weird; I had thought the spell made a metal item transparent, while keeping its metal nature. I'll have to go back and look.

I think that was Glassee... 6th level - 1st ed.
Of course I'm just going off of memory here...

Turanil

First Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaGabe
Correct me if I'm wrong, but... wasn't Glassteel in Races of Faerun?

Maybe, but I don't know. I abhor FR and don't want to have anything to do with FR products...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratecat

As it's just a plain conversion (with text rewritten to not infringe copyrights, but describing the same spell effects), it has remained 8th level as in the original 2e spell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seravin
I think that was Glassee... 6th level - 1st ed.
Of course I'm just going off of memory here...

Congratulations for your keen memory. I had forgotten entirely about this spell. Fortunately, I still have my whole 1st ed colection at hand. Indeed, there is a 6th level wizard spell called Glassee that renders metal, stone, or wood as transparent as glass. Maybe we should also convert this one? Okay lets go:

GLASSEE

Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M
Effect: See text
Duration: 1 round per level

By means of this spell, the caster renders a piece of metal, stone, or wood, as transparent as glass for duration of the spell. The area affected is a 3x3 feet square, of up to 4 inches thick if metal, 6 inches thick if stone, or 20 inches thick if wood. The caster can make the spell works either one of these two ways (determined upon casting the spell): (1) The caster creates a sort of one-way window through which all those on one side will be able to see what's on the other side, while on the other side there is no transparency effect at all. (2) The caster makes the area transparent only for himself, and can apply the effect once per round to a different area.

Note that certain metals (adamantite, lead, gold, or platinum) and magical items cannot be affected by this spell.

Material Components: A small piece of glass or crystal.

Note: Although the text is rewritten to not infringe copyrights, it's the exact effects of Glassee. If you think it makes for a weird spell, we could perhaps modify it?

ElectricDragon

Explorer
This doesn't explain that the glass-item becomes a glass item (so still transparent) with the physical properties of metal, but seems to state that the item is changed from glass to steel (thus is no more transparent).

But it does. Look down at the material description. In 3.5e a description of the material is necessary. Else how does the DM price such items?

The second conversion muddies the material by making it equal to two different types of material depending upon use (iron or mithril). This IMO complicates things unnecessarily.

I really don't understand this. The original spell did just give the physical properties (resilience, hardness, etc.) of metal to a glass item, nothing more, nothing else. This phrases seems to suggest that it is like a Stone Shape spell in which the item's shape is altered. And now it also requires to have a specific craft skill... all of this is confusing.

Again, read the material description. This is fully explained there. Yes, the caster has to make the item; why else have all those nifty Craft skills?

Most armorsmiths cannot make glass armor. They work with metal mostly.
This spell allows the caster to make the glass item using whichever Craft skill he has of the allowed ones.

If all you want to do is make a glass goblet unbreakable; the second version is fine. My players, on the other hand; often make weapons, armors, or shields out of the material. Glassblowers are not competant to make wearable armor out of glass; it is not in their job description.

I need to add that blurb about glass magical items not being affected by the spell to my version.

I suggest you add something about magnetism and rust to your version.

Ciao
Dave

P.S. I like the conversion of Glassee, good work.

Turanil

First Post
If all you want to do is make a glass goblet unbreakable; the second version is fine. My players, on the other hand; often make weapons, armors, or shields out of the material. Glassblowers are not competant to make wearable armor out of glass; it is not in their job description.

I think I understand much better what you want to do with this spell. I opted for a plain conversion since I only saw Glasteel useful to create unbreakable windows. Now, to create stylish transparent armors and weapons, your version is more appropriate. However, can it be really considered a "conversion" of the 2e Glasteel spell? Why not simply a new spell with a new name?

Just my 2 cents.

ElectricDragon

Explorer
IMC glassteel was used that way in 2e. Why should it change to another spell for 3.?e just because of unbreakable windows and glassware?

As I said before, the second version is fine for some people.

For my campaign, I think a fuller appreciation of what the spell can do needs to be apparent. Currently, I have a PC who is busy trying to develop a glassteel golem. He wants it to be more powerful than an iron golem (it is steel, sort of, after all). In order to make this construct; I needed to have a version of glassteel that incorporated the specifics of the newly created material; not just "look at this material or that material". The immunity to rust and magnetics is just as important as the transparency. Cost-wise; this golem is going to destroy my player's bankroll and put him in debt. He'll have to call in favors, spend a lot of xp (both for making the material and making the golem), trade useful magic items, and maybe even sign over his soul to complete his task.

Of course, I make my players work for anything their characters really want; and they consider it a part of the fun of role-playing. Being given things on a silver platter usually makes my players examine what the're getting more closely to determine what is wrong. Anything that comes easy usually has a hidden price or "nuthin's free" as my players say. I encourage my players to think outside the box and surprise me. It makes the game more fun for all. It keeps me on my toes and lets them do the things they want to do, for a price. I try to make the price fit the want. Anything that is given to players without a cost is IMHO "monte hall" and often leads to destabilization of the campaign. Yes, the players are supposed to be heroes; but what hero wants to be able to snap his fingers to get an important quest done? If there is no conflict; there is no hero.

Ciao
Dave

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases