Help me build a versatile Sorcerer

Pax

Banned
Banned
uzagi_akimbo said:
Firebrand is 5th level arcane, unfortunately,
Oh, yeah; I guess it shows that lately, I've been trying to build good nonspellcaster characters for the Exodus, as a change of pace. ^_^

but one of the best damage spells around - especially against large monsters. True, you can only hurt any target once per _spread_, and overlapping spreads from Firebrand do not give extra damage, but with creative targeting you can hit different squares occupied by one creature with several seperate spreads.....
Even if you can get something in ten different bursts, without overlapping them ... they do not take extra damage. That's covered in the FAQ/errata for Magic of Faerun. The spel deals up to 15d6 damage to every creature in one or more of the resultant bursts.

As for feats - with regard to metamagic I would recommend getting "Energy Substitution", "Silent Spell" and - very nice - "Transdimensional Spell" from Unapproachable East,
Yes, Transdimensional Spell is s nice metamagic. So, by the by, is Fortify Spell, from the same book (every level by which you increase the slot used for a spell, gives you a +2 bonus on spell penetration checks).

basically this feat turns any attack spell into a (force) effect one, and can be an absolute lifesaver.
Well, not really, since it doesn't add the [force] descriptor, nor remove any descriptor(s) already in place. A Transdimensional Fireball is still useless against a red dragon ... :eek:

Thanee said:
One thing, that is easily forgotten. Sorcerers need a source to learn spells not from the PHB (i.e. Firebrand), a scroll or a teacher or something.
Absolutely and unequivocably not true, Thanee. Sorcerors need an example of the spell to learn it, if it isnot on the Sorceror/Wizard class spell list. The spells I've been naming, are specifically ON that class list, unless the GM (a) doesn't allow material form that book at all, or (b) specifically and explicitly disallows that spell for sorcerors.

IOW, if the GM says "sure, anything from Magic of Faerun is okay" - then any spell which lists, (for example), "Sor/Wiz 5" in the "Level:" line most assuredly is on the Sorceror's Class Spell List.

Last edited:

uzagi_akimbo

First Post
Pax said:
Oh, yeah; I guess it shows that lately, I've been trying to build good nonspellcaster characters for the Exodus, as a change of pace. ^_^

Even if you can get something in ten different bursts, without overlapping them ... they do not take extra damage. That's covered in the FAQ/errata for Magic of Faerun. The spel deals up to 15d6 damage to every creature in one or more of the resultant bursts.

Yes, Transdimensional Spell is s nice metamagic. So, by the by, is Fortify Spell, from the same book (every level by which you increase the slot used for a spell, gives you a +2 bonus on spell penetration checks).

Well, not really, since it doesn't add the [force] descriptor, nor remove any descriptor(s) already in place. A Transdimensional Fireball is still useless against a red dragon ... :eek:

IOW, if the GM says "sure, anything from Magic of Faerun is okay" - then any spell which lists, (for example), "Sor/Wiz 5" in the "b]Level:[/b]" line most assuredly is on the Sorceror's Class Spell List.

Firebrand's multiple spreads : There was an errata on this for MoF ? gonna check WotC Website at once. Thankies for the info

Transdimensional Spell : when calling it making a spell effectively (force), I was meaning with regard to hitting incorporeal targets. mea culpa, I should have used " to make the figure of speech obvious.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Thanee said:
I really don't think so anymore. They are surely very good, but not must-haves.

Bye
Thanee

Um. Greater Shadow Evocation can be used to bring about any Sor/Wiz Evocation spell of 7th level or less. That is a LOT of versatility, right there. And a Greater Shadow Evocation: Fieball is still a 8th level spell, with 8th level saves, regardless of what spell level is being mimicked.

I suppose it also depends on wether or not the GM lets you miick metamagicked spells (i.e., a MAximised Fireball, which is normally a 6th level spell). IMC, I'd allow it, but you have to PERSONALLY KNOW the metamagic yourself in order to do so. So, you could GSE a Maximised Fireball only if you had actually taken the Maximise feat.

Just from the PHB, that includes: Forcecage (without the 1500gp component!), Contingency, Wall of Force, Fire Shield, Daylight, Continual Flame, and Tenser's Floating Disc - as well as the inevitable slew of attack spells the Evocation school contains.

And Greater Shadow Conjuration, at 7th level, can similarly be ANY Sor/Wiz conjuration of 6th or lower level. Any summon monster up to SM6, Planar binding, wall of iron, Acid Fog, Teleport, Wall of Stone, Dimension Door, Solid Fog, Leomund's Secure Shelter, Phantom Steed, Sleet Storm, Glitterdust, Acid Arrow, Web, Obscuring Mist, etc, etc.

THAT level of versatility should be enough to give any sorceror with half a brain wet dreams. :D

Thanee

First Post
Pax said:
Absolutely and unequivocably not true, Thanee. Sorcerors need an example of the spell to learn it, if it isnot on the Sorceror/Wizard class spell list. The spells I've been naming, are specifically ON that class list, unless the GM (a) doesn't allow material form that book at all, or (b) specifically and explicitly disallows that spell for sorcerors.

IOW, if the GM says "sure, anything from Magic of Faerun is okay" - then any spell which lists, (for example), "Sor/Wiz 5" in the "b]Level:[/b]" line most assuredly is on the Sorceror's Class Spell List.

Read the paragraph I posted up there thoroughly... unless it has been changed somewhere I am not aware of, it's like I said.

Bye
Thanee

Pax

Banned
Banned
It has never been that way, Thanee. EVER. 3.0 rules, and 3.5 rules as well, specifically allow sorcerors to learn arcane spells not on the sorceror's class list.

SRD "Classes II" said:
A sorcerer’s selection of spells is extremely limited. A sorcerer begins play knowing four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells of your choice. At each new sorcerer level, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a sorcerer knows is not affected by his Charisma score; the numbers on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known are fixed.) These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study. The sorcerer can’t use this method of spell acquisition to learn spells at a faster rate, however.
That is the relevant passage; nowhere does it limit the Sorceror to spells presented only in the PHB. It limits Sorcerors to Sorceror spells, except when the spell in question is an arcane spell, and the sorceror has "unusual understanding of".

Like I said, your claim that the sorceror needs a physical object to learn ANY spell outside the DMG is unequivocably wrong - because that's simply not in the rules. Sorry.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Study of the spell is only necessary for uncommon spells, all common spells (Sorc/Wiz spell list in PHB or for settings such as FR, all spells in the FR books, though this is up to your DM) require no study or examples of.

Last edited:

Pax

Banned
Banned
... and I've just figured out your misunderstanding, Thanee - the PHB gives a page number, so you thought that list was IT.

What you have to keep in mind is that books like Tome and Blood or Magic of Faerun add to that very table. The Sorceror/Wizard spells on them are supposed tobe treated as if they were ON the PHB tables.

Last edited:

Pyrex

First Post
You should definately consider Command Undead. Having a few extra troops around is always a good thing.

Given the number of will saves that will be coming towards your party I heartily recommend taking one of the Magic Circle spells.

Evards Black Tentacles makes for a great crowd-control spell.

Remove ads