Help me build a versatile Sorcerer

Li Shenron

Legend
Thanee said:
Li, there's a pair of lenses, which grant darkvision in the DMG (goggles of night?). They are not overly expensive. That's what I meant somewhere above, when I said you can drop bought armor for Mage Armor and then buy an item of darkvision and in turn drop Darkvision, if you get Polymorph, which allows you to drop Disguise Self.

Browsing through the DMG I have found 3 wondrous items that grant darkvision. The goggles of night cost 12.000gp but look at the Belt of dwarvenkind!

Belt of Dwarvenkind: This belt gives the wearer a +4 competence bonus on Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks as they relate to dealing with dwarves, a +2 competence bonus on similar checks when dealing with gnomes and halflings, and a –2 competence penalty on similar checks when dealing with anyone else. The wearer can understand, speak, and read Dwarven. If the wearer is not a dwarf, he gains 60-foot darkvision, dwarven stonecunning, a +2 enhancement bonus to Constitution, and a +2 resistance bonus on saves against poison, spells, or spell-like effects.

Moderate divination; CL 12th; Craft Wondrous Item, tongues, creator must be a dwarf; Price 14,900 gp;Weight 1 lb.

2.900gp more for +2 Constitution, stonecunning and +2 ST vs all the stuff! The Cha penalties quite offset the Cha bonuses IMHO*, but this belt is way better than the goggles :lol: And it gives me a very nice RP suggestion... how has my character come into possession of this dwarven belt?

*(edit) I mean, that the +4 with dwarves and +2 with halflings/gnomes will come into play more rarely than the -2 with everyone else

Last edited:

GakToid

Explorer
Magic of Faerun

I've noticed that several important spell selections have come from Magic of Faerun. Unfortunately, that book isn't available in our campaign.

Can someone suggestion core spells to help replace those from Magic of Faerun?

-Gak Toid

GakToid

Explorer
Pax said:
GakToid, you're playing IN the realms ... and Magic of Faerun isn't available ... ?!?
Well...

More accurately, no one in the group has bought it. So technically it could be available.

-Gak Toid

Pax

Banned
Banned
Ah.

You really SHOULD get it (and the Player's Guide to Faerun, and Races of Faerun, and Underdark (ESPECIALLY Underdark!), and ... etc, etc, etc. ^_^

The wealth of spells presented there (and kept balanced by the changes to spell lists, etc, in the Player's Guide) really helps spellcasters out, a lot.

Especially as there is NOTHING Core that can replace Firebrand; it's benefits are fairly unique (that AoE is SOOOOOO wonderful ...).

GakToid

Explorer
Fr

I've got the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and Player's Guide to Faerun. I've simply never found a need for yet another elf race or a billion new spells. Especially because magic users (arcane and divine) are something that I've only played in the last year or so.

Perhaps it's time I bought another book.

-Gak Toid

Pax

Banned
Banned
Races of Faerun has more than "yet another elf race" - it also has several feats (anything in PGFR tha's marked with a little "RAC"), a couple prestige classes, and a handful of spells.

Magic of Faerunhas a lot more than just "a billion new spells". It has spells, magic items (and not all of them are powergamey munchkin things; one ofmy favorite items is the 1200gp "Travellers Cloak" - one pocket produces one meal's worth of trail rations, 3 times per day; another pocket has a flask that produces up to 2 gallons of liquid per day (either cool water, or hot sugared tea); the cloak keeps it's wearer comfortable and dry even in inclement weather; and lastly, the cloak itself can transform into a one-person tent, onceper day, on command. It's the ULTIMATE low-level camping tool, heh. ^_^

It alsohas a slew of new weapon/armor materials, rules for extravagently-built spellbooks, and a discussion of the place of magic in the day to day life of Faerun.

The spellbook rules are also among my favorite parts of MaFR. Why have just "a spellbook", when you can instead have (for example) a grimoire made entirely of living metal, including the slipcase (living metal is one of those special materials - it "heals" 1hp per minute, as long as it hasn't been destroyed / reduced to 0hp), enchanted with energy resistance(5) against all five cardinal elements, completely magically waterproofed, and glamered to look like a lavishly illustrated book of ... *ahem* "naughty elven poetry" ... which has a net hardness of 9, and 14hp (and self-repairs, remember), and weighs 23 pounds. (hey, you can't have EVERYthing perfect ...! ^_^)

Okay, okay, that particular extravagance will set you back 9,000gp. And, if you have the ability to do so, you then spend another 5,000gp (and some XP), and turn it into the best-darned-protected Boccob's Blessed Book you ever done seen. ^_^

Yeah, sure; that's a lot of money down the tubes, as it were, on an item that will hardly ever come into play.

But when the GM looks at you with a malevolent twinkle in her eye, and asks if you're CARRYING your spellbook (after you plunge into the vat of acid), you can smile confidently back, and say "Why, yes ... yes I am" ... and never break a sweat. ^_^

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Here's a first draft of the Sorcerer.

Code:
Race:		Human
Alignment:	NG or CG
Class:		Sorcerer 8
Size:		medium
Base Speed:	30ft

Abilities are to be done as soon as the DM chooses the method.
Obviously primary is Cha, secondary Dex. Has +2 Con from the belt.

Feats: Silent Spell, Extend Spell + 2 among Heighten, SP, GSP, ES(Cold or Sonic) or Improved Toughness

Skills: max Spellcraft + a couple of flavor skills TBD

Spells:
0th - Acid Splash, Disrupt Undead, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Message, Read Magic, Prestidigitation + 1
1st - Magic Missile, Charm Person, Shield, Color Spray + Mage Armor or another (if using bracers of armor)
2nd - Web*, Invisibility, Glitterdust
3rd - Dispel Magic, Lightning Bolt*
4th - Polymorph

in the next 2 levels, plan is to take (1) Hideous Laughter or Detect Thoughts [lv 2], (2)  Shadow Conjuration [lv 4] (3) Teleport [lv 5], and a 3rd level spell yet to be defined

*A possibility is to take Scorching Ray & Slow instead of Web & Lightning Bolt

Equipment:
Cloak of Charisma +4 (16.000)
Bracers of Armor +4 (16.000) optional
Belt of Dwarvenkind (14.900)
Light Crossbow +1 Frost OR Shock (8.335)
Vest of Escape (5.200)
Gloves of Dexterity +2 (4.000)
Golembane Scarab (2.500) OR Amulet of Natural Armor +1 (2.000)
Ring of Feather Falling (2.200)
Hat of Disguise (1.800)

Remove ads