Hangman Trees and other Plantlife

Holy Bovine

First Post
Not sure if this is the right forum but....

Has anyone done a conversion of the Hangman Tree? I'm running an adventure set in a very old, very evil Druidis woods (yup the Druids are evil too) and I'm trying to populate it with something other than Shambling Mounds and Tendrilicous'. ANyone have a few suggestions or links to places with animated evil plant critters?

Thanks in advance...

(edit) D'oh!! Teach me not to use what's already staring me in the face! Found the Hangman Tree on the Creature Catalog site! Ok nevermind that one anyone have unique evil plant creatures that evil, cannabalistic Druids would hang with?

Last edited:

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Holy Bovine said:

(edit) D'oh!! Teach me not to use what's already staring me in the face! Found the Hangman Tree on the Creature Catalog site! Ok nevermind that one anyone have unique evil plant creatures that evil, cannabalistic Druids would hang with?

Go to our OGL section and download my Jack-O-Lantern. I think you might find it useful. The JoL is also in Asgard #4, and has an excellent picture to go with it!

If you do decide to use it, post the results in the Creature Scoreboard forum and critique my work! :)

Holy Bovine

First Post
Thanks DnDChick - that is what I was looking for. Something unique and spooky.

I already have a great scene brewing in my mind of the PCs walking through a Jack-o-Lantern pumpkin patch.

Thanks!

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Holy Bovine said:
Thanks DnDChick - that is what I was looking for. Something unique and spooky.

I already have a great scene brewing in my mind of the PCs walking through a Jack-o-Lantern pumpkin patch.

Thanks!

Kewl thing about the JoL is that it can be of any alignment, so long as the creating druid has access to the corpse of someone of the desired alignment.

So, after fighting an evil one, you can have them run into a good one several sessions down the road. That can run them into trouble since they will most likely assume that they are all evil. :) Sure would p-o the high-level druid that created the thing!

Krishnath

First Post
(Getting into the mood of the topic, colors are great.)

Holy Bovine: If you need more plant monsters and have access to the (3E) Manual of the Planes, I can recommend the Umbral Banyan and the Plant Elemental template found in the beastiary section.

DnDChick: I love the jack-o-lantern, although I haven't had a chance to use it yet, I will ;)

Holy Bovine

First Post
Don't have the Manual of the Planes (yet...) but the Plant Elemental Template sounds jlike just what I'm looking for. Damn!

Good thing Friday's payday! :D

I was considering buying MotP in the spring but maybe I'll just bump that up a bit. Thanks Krishnath!

DnDChick (BTW i love you name & Avatar - Sara Rules!:) ) I'll be using the Jack o' Lantern this Sunday so i'll post the results from the encounter then, is there any specific info you want about the encounter ie - combat effectivness, CR suggestions etc? Let me know and I'll make sure to keep notes of the specifics during the game.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Gish Makai

First Post
May I suggest her skull spider as well. These are just plain nasty and I have kinda worked with her to not make them AS deadly as originally posted.

I think players will think twice about just plain attacking ordinary looking spiders.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Holy Bovine said:
Don't have the Manual of the Planes (yet...) but the Plant Elemental Template sounds jlike just what I'm looking for. Damn!

Good thing Friday's payday! :D

I was considering buying MotP in the spring but maybe I'll just bump that up a bit. Thanks Krishnath!

DnDChick (BTW i love you name & Avatar - Sara Rules!:) ) I'll be using the Jack o' Lantern this Sunday so i'll post the results from the encounter then, is there any specific info you want about the encounter ie - combat effectivness, CR suggestions etc? Let me know and I'll make sure to keep notes of the specifics during the game.

Thanks all!

Heehee...thanks! The guys in my game group have often told me that my playing style is a lot like hers, as is my personality, so it was a natural for me! :)

Also...anything you can tell me about the JoL will be helpful. If you use it Sunday, to my knowledge that will be its very first playtest!

Holy Bovine

First Post
Nasty spiders are always good - thanks Gish! I'll post about that one too if I end up using it.

That's hard to believe noone else has tried the JoL DnDChick - it seems like a great monster to me! I can't wait to see my players faces :D

Krishnath

First Post
Holy Bovine: I'm going to put up a new plant creature in the Homebrews section soon, you might want to have a look.

It's called Rotwood Archer after a forest in my campaign-world. Feel free to use it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases