Centaur Paladin and Special Mount

Okay, first of all, I'm thinking . . . a Centaur paladin has no use for a mount, so would you let it count itself as its own mount?

So a 15th level Centaur paladin (ECL 20):

Hit Dice: 15d10+8d8+constitution

Natural Armor: +10

Str Adj: +4

Intelligence: 9 (as opposed to the 8 that is normal for centaurs)

Special: Improved Evasion, command creatures of its kind, spell resistance 20.

So assuming you used a 28-point buy typical array, you can have initial stats

Str 14, Dex 8, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 15

modified to be a centaur

Str 22, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 15

being 15th level and the paladin mount bonuses

Str 26, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 9, Wis 15, Cha 18

Unarmored, his AC is 10 + 10 (natural) -1 (size) +1 (Dex) = 20. Add in +5 Full Plate and +5 Large Animated Shield, and you get an AC of 40. Hmm. And if we add in a Ring of Protection +5, and two +5 Defender Weapons, that's AC 55. Not bad for a single-classed character. Normally you have to use things like multi-classed monk/duelist/etc.

How does it sound?

Privateer

First Post
I, too, have always wondered about how a centaur paladin works. I would just give it a spiffy new ability or some sort of animal companion/familiar thingy.

You can see what intense thought went into this post :D

The Traveler

First Post
A centaur could have a special mount if it was a creature capable of flying. The Centaur would simply ride in a harness beneath the creature, instead of above it.

DWARF

First Post
How about instead of a mount, he gets a size small celestial creature (the celestial equivalent of a goblin or kobold) that will ride him in battle? Sort of a Dragonlance style thing where a great creature benefits from having another ride them. (what use would dragons have of human riders if there were no great dragonlances for them to weild?)

Okay, so what if the Centaur has a 20 Dexterity, and a bunch of ranks in Escape artist. Can it mount itself that way? I will consciously try not to mentally picture that.

Hmm. I had a post on house rules a while back with alternatives to paladin mounts, because I had a paladin PC in the modern day, who didn't want a pony. :) She got fast movement instead.

hong

WotC's bitch
RangerWickett said:
Okay, so what if the Centaur has a 20 Dexterity, and a bunch of ranks in Escape artist. Can it mount itself that way? I will consciously try not to mentally picture that.

Oh dear, I think my head's just exploded.

Cor, what a mess.

shilsen

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:

Too late. Already did. Have to go lie down now!

I'd second Dwarf's suggestion of giving the Centaur a Special Rider instead of a Special Mount.

Zawoud

First Post
Heh, I had a paladin in my campaign who got a centaur (druid) as his special mount (you should have seen the player's face). I don't think he's ever actally ridden him.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases