Do you use the Monster Manual book when running an adventure?

dreaded_beast

First Post
When running your adventure, do you have the Monster Manual open while using a particular monster.

I know for major NPCs that it probably is best to have them statted out before hand.

However, in regards to "cannon fodder" or semi-important NPCS, how easy/difficult do you think it would be to use the actual Monster Manual during a session instead of a stat block?

Setheus

Explorer
Well...

I use the MM almost exclusively. Prop it up, open to the monster in questions page, then just have a pad of paper for notes on any adjustment the monster needs to be a worthy challenge.

ie - for a horde of goblins, use base MM stats but throw on paper the details for the weapons they are using, which have been forged in hellfires and have magical damage reduction :]

James McMurray

First Post
I do it all the time. I'm trying to change that with my next campaign though, as I'll be using descriptions instead of monster names to refer to things the characters encounter. I've done this in the past but it doesn't wortk that well when the players catch a glimpse of the monster's picture in the MM, especially when every player at your table also DMs and knows the MM front to back.

And please change your avatar. I'm going to have nightmares for a month!

Crothian

First Post
I try to take notes on everything I need so I don't have to use the MM at the table, but for encounters that aren't planned I will

I try not having to look through the books while I'm playing. I'll usually copy/paste the SRD description of the monster (if it's available) into my adventure notes.

drunkmoogle

First Post
One of my favorite phrases to throw at the players is "let me look in the MM under 'D'..." (demon, dinosaur, devil; lots of nasty stuff).

I use it on occasion, but I have statblocks for SRD monsters printed out at my fingertips. I've not yet used a non-SRD creature that wasn't homebrew. If I do use it, I just open it, skim through for the important stuff I need, then close it.

Neo

Explorer
I tend to pick the book up just to make my players nervous, but 9 times out of 10 I already know what they will be facing and have produced specific monster sheet ahead of time as that way its always a surprise :)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Yeah, I also prefer to cut-n-paste stuff from the SRD, but it lacks such critters as Beholders and Illithids. :mad:

I also need nearby the Manual of the Planes, Book of Vile Darkness and Fiend Folio.

They're vital for when my players decide not to avoid a random encounter.

-- N

DragonShadow

First Post
I'll have the MM out for things that I haven't planned, or if I didn't copy something down that needed to be copied (such as the skills for a particular monster).

Generally speaking, I'll write down the attacks/damage, AC (+touch, +flat footed), and HP for a monster before hand. It depends on how organized I am for any particular encounter, really.

shilsen

Adventurer
Almost all of the time I'll just print the info out in stat block format beforehand, even if I'm using stuff which is absolutely unchanged from the MM. Saves time having to flip through the MM and I will often scribble notes and other things on the printed out sheets.

If it looks like it'll be a long combat I might roll a bunch of attack and/or damage rolls beforehand to save time, so I'll put that on the printed sheet. Same goes for little tactical reminders for myself, creature descriptions (since I often modify the MM description for my own purposes), etc.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases