B.P.R.D. Issue #1 "City of Night"

Karl Green

First Post
Lo, thus, as prostrate, "In the dust I write
My heart's deep languor and my soul's sad tears."
Yet why evoke the spectres of black night
To blot the sunshine of exultant years?
Why disinter dead faith from mouldering hidden?
Why break the seals of mute despair unbidden,
And wail life's discords into careless ears?

Because a cold rage seizes one at whiles
To show the bitter old and wrinkled truth
Stripped naked of all vesture that beguiles,
False dreams, false hopes, false masks and modes of youth;
Because it gives some sense of power and passion
In helpless innocence to try to fashion
Our woe in living words howe'er uncouth.

The City is of Night; perchance of Death
But certainly of Night; for never there
Can come the lucid morning's fragrant breath
After the dewy dawning's cold grey air:
The moon and stars may shine with scorn or pity
The sun has never visited that city,
For it dissolveth in the daylight fair.

THE CITY OF DREADFUL NIGHT by JAMES THOMSON

B.P.R.D. Issue #1 “City of Night”

May 3rd, 2004, 11:00am EST
B.P.R.D. Headquarters, Fairfield, Connecticut, Sub-Level 13DF, Briefing Room 12

You have all received summons to this briefing room (via email, voicemail, someone stopping by your apartment, etc.) within the last 24 hours. Milling about with you is a strange collection of other “people” whom you have not yet meet. The room is set up something like a small auditorium, with four rows of heavy chairs facing forward, four chairs to a row. There is standing room in the back, a large LCD projector and podium at the front. Refreshments, bagels and coffee are also found at the back of the room.

Precisely at 11:00am, a middle age, balding man, in an expensive, finely pressed business suit walks in from a front door and goes immediately to the podium. While none of you have meet the man before, you all recognize him as the B.P.R.D. Bureau Director, Dr. Thomas Manning. Professor Kate Corrigan (whom you have all meet, and in fact were more then like recruited by for the B.P.R.D. Prof Corrigan is the Bureau Director of Field Operations, and all of your direct supervisors. She is an attractive 40 year old, with short, straight blond hair) enters with Manning and takes a seat at the front of room, smiling and nodding her head to each of you.

Dr. Manning clears his throat and says “Alright, please take a seat people. Lights please…” as the lights dim somewhat, a black and white picture of a man in a Nazi uniform at a rally appears on the protector screen. He is stern looking and might be around 40 years old at the time of the picture “This is the best photograph we have of Doctor Wilhelm Sterne, who achieved some small reputation in 1930’s Germany as a scholar of Arabic and North African history… also as a dedicated member of the Nazi Party. He appears to have convinced the hierarchy to finance his research by rewriting large portions of Near Eastern history, adding an anti-Semitic slant.”

“February, 1941. General Erwin Rommel arrived in Libya to take charge of the Axis operations in North Africa. I imagine that most of you know something about all of that. March 3, Doctor Sterne also arrived in Libya, on a military transport. Orders from Berlin were for Rommel and his staff to provide him with, quote ‘All necessary assistance in his scholarship’. Rommel seems to have given Sterne a bodyguard of second-rate troops and forgotten about him. Records suggest that Sterne made a thorough nuisance of himself in the mosque libraries in Libya and Tunis for a few weeks, then he disappeared from view. There’s one final letter from Rommel’s staff, essentially disclaiming responsibility for losing him. It says that he’d wandered off into the desert with his bodyguards and a couple of armed cars, and disappeared. Rommel was doing well just then, so Berlin was doubtless disinclined to blame him.”

“U.S. Military Intelligence had a file on Sterne, but the last thing in it was correspondence they found in Berlin in 1946.”

Another picture appears on the overhead projector. It shows a passport and picture of an African-American male of about 40 years of age. After a second the screen splits and a picture of Mila appears on the screen next to the man…

“Five days ago, a U.S. Citizen named Doctor Reginald Clay telephoned the embassy in Mali. Clay is working on a restoration project in the city of Timbuktu. Two days before his call, a westerner – a very old man – had walked into town out of the desert and collapsed. Clay was one of the first people the man met, and when he died after a few hours, Clay helped the local police try and identify the body.”

An old black and white photo (this time a Nazi Germany Military ID) appears on the screen

“The man was wearing the remains of Nazi military uniform and carrying military papers in German. Clay thought this was odd, and contacted the American embassy while the local police called the Germans. His instinct was correct. The papers identify the man as Private Rudolph Frankelle of the German Army, missing since 1941.

A modern, color, digital picture of a very old dead man appears next to the B&W photo (split screen)

“You’ll see from his picture, Frankelle looks his age. First reports suggest that the causes of death were dehydration and old age. The State Department found this odd enough to monitor the case, and discovered that Frankelle was last heard of as a member of Sterne’s bodyguards. He has only distant family in Germany, and we are assured by the German Police that they are as puzzled as anyone else.”

“The State Department dug up Sterne’s file, and realized that his known associates include members of Project Rogna Rok. Under the circumstances, they thought it best to hand the file over to us. They have been in contact with the government of Mali, and everyone is happy for use to pick up the problem. If there is one…”

“Your job is to determine as many of the facts as are accessible. Decisions about further action will be based on what you find. The folders located at all of your chairs contain CIA Intel reports of Mila, pictures of everything you have seen here. Please read them over. When we are finished here, head over to Supply to request any equipment, and desert survival gear that you think you might need. Remember that Mila is an independent nation, and we don’t want to go in arm like this is a military operation… it is still an investigation until you discover otherwise. Your flight leaves in two hours, so I suggest you use this time wisely…”

“You are all new here, so this all might seem a bit overwhelming to some of you, but considering the possibility of Rogna Rok involvement we have decided to form a slightly larger team then normal. We expect good things from you all. Mission leader can be worked out with Pro. Corrigan and all of you.”

“Now then, if there are any questions, please direct them to Professor Kate Corrigan. Good luck.” With that he closes his dossier and walks out the door that he came. Pro. Corrigan stands and looks to you all… “Any questions?”

[OCC – even if your character does not have any, PLEASE describe yourself to the rest of the party. Remember that posting rules if you would; but here they are again…]

Use “Quotes” for when your character speaks or is saying something.
*Asterisks* for actions, and put the roll result, plus your skill/attack, etc. bonus and total for your result (*Martin looks around, Spot 5 +10 =15*). If you want to spend a Hero Point in any case just put that in there also (*Martin shots the big Nazi by the door, rolls a 1, spending a Hero point to re-roll I roll…*). This goes for Saves also. Remember that you can spend a Hero Point after you roll BUT before you know the result if you succeed or not. Remember it all about the trust ;)
If you are attacking, please include the DC and type of attack that the target needs to make (*Martin shots the big Nazi by the door, rolls a 12 +8 ranged attack bonus =20 DEF, if it hits, the Nazi takes +5L {with 1 level of Penetration} damage*).
Thoughts should be Italics. If you want to use different colors that’s fine, just so long as I can see them.

At times I will use [ spoiler ] posts for certain characters about certain information. I will tell the person who can read them, and he or she can react to that information.

In combat situation, at the top or the bottom of the post put how many Hero Points you have left and how many hits you have taken (Lethal and Stun) and any other conditions that you are under (Dazed, Fatigued, Drained, etc).

Any OCC questions, etc. please put something like [OCC –question, can Martin get a clear shot at the Lizard looking guy?]

Also if you would like to look at any facts about Mila, here is the info that is in the dossiers next to each seat…

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ml.html

although it is updated for 2004 (good enough for us though :)) Mila is a land-locked country in northwestern part of Africa. The northern half of the country (especially north of Timbuktu) is part of the Sahara Desert.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Paul Decker is sitting in his chair, listening in silent the briefing. He seems pretty concentrated on the speech and doesn't seem to take any attention to some comments that are whispered during the reunion.

Paul is a man is of average eight and is slim, without beeing all skin and bone. His wear his hair shouldder-lenght, and they ar epresently black, and his eyes green. You've never seen them any other color, but it is told they change color when one of the spirit inhabiting his body take control of it.

Kate Corrigan said:
“Any questions?”

Paul take a sip of coffee before starting the question round.

"I have some. I want to know, will we have any diplomatic immunity or recognition? I know many Afican country are very corrupted, and without any diplmatic recognition, we will have hard time to deal with many military patrol or barricade.

Libra says it would be a good idea to deal with it, as she wouldn't like to have to play that corrupion game.

Capricorn suggests we could come as a humanitarian expedition that want to see the need of the country by there own eyes.

And sorry if I miss that, but what is Ragna Rok again?

Finally, Leo ask if you could put less water in the coffee, it kill the taste."

Last edited:

A young man, most likely in his early teens, lounges around the refreshments table as the others make their way in. Although he keeps his back towards the rest of the group, he gives the impression of being calm and composed, as if he was intimately familiar with his surroundings-as if he worked in this place (for whatever odd reason). When the director comes in, he turns around for the first time with half of a bagle still sticking out of his mouth, a look of silent recognition crossing his eyes.

Now that a better view is available of him, it appears that he is wearing a standard, white, button-up dress shirt that remains rebelliously untucked-constrasting with a neat, red and black-striped tie. His facial features are boyishly handsome, although it is bespeckled by several, faint freckles. His eyes are slightly harder to see, although the blue clarity of them shine out beneath bangs of his brown hair, which is pretty untidy in itself. He doesn't seem recognizable, though.

Finishing up the bagle, the teen takes a seat on the far left corner of the auditorium as the speech begins, crossing his legs and lazily reclining upon the seat. He seems to be having a hard time keeping his concentration on the presentation, as if it was just another high school lecture-yawning inbetween a change of pictures and fidgeting with a pen he retrieved from his shirt's pocket. He's definately out of place out of sheer age compared to the rest of the audience, although he doesn't seem to notice or care.

Paul's questions strike a spark of interest in him though, and the teen's attention is finally attained by his apparently schizophrenic, soon-to-be team member.

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
Velmont said:
Paul asks"I have some. I want to know, will we have any diplomatic immunity or recognition? I know many Afican country are very corrupted, and without any diplmatic recognition, we will have hard time to deal with many military patrol or barricade.

Libra says it would be a good idea to deal with it, as she wouldn't like to have to play that corrupion game.

Capricorn suggests we could come as a humanitarian expedition that want to see the need of the country by there own eyes.

And sorry if I miss that, but what is Ragna Rok again?

Finally, Leo ask if you could put less water in the coffee, it kill the taste."

Professor Corrigan smiles as she listens to these questions, when Paul is done she says "Well lots, that good stuff then... let me take them one at a time, and I will start with the Ragna Rok... I would not expect most of you to know who or what that group was… lets start by saying that these are the bad guys that made the Nazis look like good guys. The Nazis were very interested in everything having to do with the occult, most run out of Heinrich Himmler’s Special Project Groups. One of them was called the Ragna Rok, was formed in late 1944 for Hitler, as a “Doomsday Project”. Of course, unknown to Hitler or Himmler, the project’s head, Rasputin… yes that Rasputin, reportedly killed in Russia in 1916… had planned to destroy the world and remake it for his god; the Ogdru Jahad. Something went wrong and they failed. After World War II, the team was thought to have been destroyed… it was not and they surfaced again in 1992. And again in 94 and 96. We think that the team was finally destroyed at Hunte Castle, in Germany in 2001, but we have thought they were destroyed before. This team of scientist and mystics have created some of the most powerful, advanced technology that we have ever seen before. If they are involved, you can bet that you will all be in for a fight.”

“Now on to your other questions; first, while you will not have diplomatic immunity while operating in Mila, the government has agreed for us to handle this. They will provide you with any and all assistances that they can, short of troops. This means that we will probably want to not go in armed to the teeth, but they will allow for conceal weapons to been used by all of you. Military Patrols and Police have been instructed to assist you in any way they can, and we have assurances that you will not be bothered by them. If you are, and you can contact us here at Headquarters, we will contact the government and make sure it works out.”

“As for humanitarian cover or something similar, that is not required. The government of Mila knows that you are coming and are more then willing for us to deal with this.”

“Last, I will talk with the caterings to brew something special for you when you get back.”

She looks at the rest of the team and back at Paul "Good now, any others?"

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Paul listen to the answer and clean the donut's flour from his shirt.

"Now it is a bit more clear. At first, it was looking more like finding some diserter who have hidden in an oasis in the middle of the Sahara to be sure to be not found by the Allies. I was starting to wonder why you needed a big team for that.

Scorpio would be interested to know a little more about Ogdru Jahad.

And Leo would like some espresso, or at least some full-flavored coffee. It taste better and have the advantage to have less cafeine..."

After telling that, Paul seems a bit confuse.

"And sorry for Leo, I told him to limit the off-topic comments during the briefings."

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
Velmont said:
Paul listen to the answer and clean the donut's flour from his shirt.

"Now it is a bit more clear. At first, it was looking more like finding some diserter who have hidden in an oasis in the middle of the Sahara to be sure to be not found by the Allies. I was starting to wonder why you needed a big team for that.

Scorpio would be interested to know a little more about Ogdru Jahad.

And Leo would like some espresso, or at least some full-flavored coffee. It taste better and have the advantage to have less cafeine..."

After telling that, Paul seems a bit confuse.

"And sorry for Leo, I told him to limit the off-topic comments during the briefings."

Smiling and noding her head, Professor Corrigan says "That is quite all right Paul, don't worry about off-topic issues. We don't have to be all business all the time. Now then to get into a bit more of the Ogdru Jahad, well we are not 100% sure but from legends and interviews we have been able to piece together the basics; my understanding is that it some kind of dragon of... well un-measurable power, that exist somewhere outside time and space. I guess my best answer would be, have you ever read any books by one H.P. Lovecraft? Well imagine everything bad he wrote about rolled up into one big bad monster that is asleep somewhere out in space, just waiting to be awoke by some dumb fool, so that it could eat the whole world for breakfast... It is world-ending bad."

Drakknyte32

First Post
When everyone entered the room one odd thing they noticed was a very rusty suit of old plate armor standing by one of the walls. At first it looked like some wierd part of the decorations until it turned it's head with a horrible squeak at the end of the speech. Then it started to speak, It's voice through the rust sounding like nothing more than a cranky old man. And it's words reinforcing the image.

"Yeah I got a Question. How come you guys are sending me on this run. I'm a Knight of King Arthur, forged by Merlin himself. I shouldn't be sent around like some errand boy. You kids these days have no respect for your elders. Why back in my day..."

"Shut up."

The rusty suit of armor turns his head with another squeak to look at the man who had just spoken. A man that is wearing some strange red gauntlet on one hand. Remarkably the Armor does shut up, although those with good hearing can hear it keep muttering about 'the good old days'

Eventually it reaches out and grabs one of the folders. It holds it upside down and sideways, squinting at the writing, before the man with the gauntlet finally grabs it and reads it to him.

OOC: Well hear you go. I hope I pulled off the appearance of a cranky old geezer well enough.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
A Chinese-looking man lounges in his seat at the briefing table, running his fingers through a thin beard as he listens to the history lesson and nodding occasionally. After the initial briefing, he gets up and gets himself a cup of coffee, paging through the provided dossier on the nation.

"Is there any sort of indication as to which direction this Frankelle was coming from?" he says in a slight Russian accent. "And another thing, this correspondence of which you speak, who was it from?"

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Sgt. Michael Camden "Ace" HP's: 3

Michael is a darkly tanned lightly muscled man standing almost six foot tall who appeared around thirty years old. Green eyes and dark black hair started the initial almost average looking appearance. He was stronger than average but wicked quick. Michael frequently wore dark leathers, mostly black or grey, with several weapons and his own personal weapon almost always on him or within reach. Black boots and a black leather trench coat completed the look.

He sat quietly, as usual, and paged through the dossier. His leather trenchcoat hung open and his free hand thumbed the release snap on weapon, then closed it again. Open 'snap' . . . close 'snap' . . . Open 'snap' . . . Close 'snap' . . . And again, and again . . . adding nothing of relevence to the conversation.

Radiant

First Post
Lia

So Ragna Rok again. Isn't it nice that the first thing I come into contact with is the same that put me into prison for so long.
Sitting in this strange group the women is not too spectacular. Her grey and silver hair hangs wild around her thin but attractive face. She turned her chair sideways to stretch her legs and leans her head back to watch what's going on. That way she somehow manages to claim enough space for two people and somhow projects the impression of an animal that values its territory. Her clothes look brand new but are obviously bought without much sense for fashion. No-name running shoes, pale blue jeans and a thin gray shirt. Breaking the whole appearance are her black sunglasses that look like they cost more than the rest combined and she is even wearing them inside the room.

She slowly views the pages of the paper in front of her while the description goes on. On the mention of Ragna Rok her head snaps up and the speaker has her undivided attention for a moment. She can well remember that red skinned bastard that project created.
Even though she is pretty interested in the dossier, as even this thing contains a lot more information about the current world than she had in years, it is forgotten as she listens to the conversation.

Lia stays silent the whole time. She doesn't look very comfortable in the room and not the least bit happy to be here but then something happens.
When everyone entered the room one odd thing they noticed was a very rusty suit of old plate armor standing by one of the walls. At first it looked like some wierd part of the decorations until it turned it's head with a horrible squeak at the end of the speech. Then it started to speak, It's voice through the rust sounding like nothing more than a cranky old man. And it's words reinforcing the image.

"Yeah I got a Question. How come you guys are sending me on this run. I'm a Knight of King Arthur, forged by Merlin himself. I shouldn't be sent around like some errand boy. You kids these days have no respect for your elders. Why back in my day..."

"Shut up."

The rusty suit of armor turns his head with another squeak to look at the man who had just spoken. A man that is wearing some strange red gauntlet on one hand. Remarkably the Armor does shut up, although those with good hearing can hear it keep muttering about 'the good old days'

Eventually it reaches out and grabs one of the folders. It holds it upside down and sideways, squinting at the writing, before the man with the gauntlet finally grabs it and reads it to him.

She shows a very thin smile that consists of amusement and frustatration in equal parts. She lowers her shades and looks at the rusty suit of amour and the gauntlet with yellow animal eyes before speaking with a thick german accent.

"Another agent on a leash Frau Corrigan?
Maybe you have finally learned that ethics won't bring you forward."

Strange enough she makes it sound more like respect than mocking.

Last edited:

Remove ads