does Divine shield stack with a shield bonus?

italianranma

First Post
Divine Shield [divine]
prerequisites: ability to turn or rebuke undead, preficiency with a shield
Benefit: as a standard action, spend one of your turn or rebuke undead attempts to channel energy into your shield granting it a bonus equal to your charisma modifier . this bonus applies to the shield's bonus to armor class and lasts for a number of rounds equal to half your character level.

I'm making a Paladin who wants to weild a double bladed sword. (I know its not very usual, but whatever) anyway if I get two weapon defence I'll have a shield bonus (I know it's not a shield), can I still benefit from the feat?
Here's why I think it would, there are a few spells that add to your Armor's AC (like silverbeard) that don't require you to wear armor (they specificaly say clothing has an armor bonus of +0), so by extention if bracers at an shield bonus of +0 it would work.

If I wear a buckler instead how would that work? it's my understanding that the buckler would impose a -1 penelty to the off-hand attack, and not provide its shield bonus without the improved buckler defence.

Thanks for the help.

Trainz

Explorer
You must be weilding a shield if you want to benefit from Divine Shield.

Wearing a buckler would not help, because you lose the buckler's shield bonus if the arm wearing it is used for something else in that round (like attacking with a double weapon). However, acquiring the Improved Buckler Defense feat will indeed allow you to use your buckler shield (and divine shield) bonus to AC regardless.

Darklone

The Divine Shield bonus is a sacred bonus by the table and an unnamed bonus by the feat text. Take what you want. ;) Or your DM wants.

Considering the strange Imp buckler defense feat, I don't see a problem with allowing Divine Shield with TWD.

Twobladed sword does not have to be a bad choice. A TWF paladin is well adviced to take some fighter levels (perhaps 4) for WS and TWF feats (since you already used one expensive feat for the proficiency), Divine Might and Divine Favor as buff spell will help you a lot to turn this into a real effective combat machine.

Last edited:

Pyrex

First Post
Bracers of Armor provide an Armor bonus, not a Shield bonus.

Divine Shield adds an enhancement bonus to a shield. No shield, no bonus.

If you want to use a double-sword, you'd be better off with Divine Might or Divine Vigor instead.

rangerjohn

Explorer
italianranma said:
Divine Shield [divine]
prerequisites: ability to turn or rebuke undead, preficiency with a shield
Benefit: as a standard action, spend one of your turn or rebuke undead attempts to channel energy into your shield granting it a bonus equal to your charisma modifier . this bonus applies to the shield's bonus to armor class and lasts for a number of rounds equal to half your character level.

I'm making a Paladin who wants to weild a double bladed sword. (I know its not very usual, but whatever) anyway if I get two weapon defence I'll have a shield bonus (I know it's not a shield), can I still benefit from the feat?
Here's why I think it would, there are a few spells that add to your Armor's AC (like silverbeard) that don't require you to wear armor (they specificaly say clothing has an armor bonus of +0), so by extention if bracers at an shield bonus of +0 it would work.

If I wear a buckler instead how would that work? it's my understanding that the buckler would impose a -1 penelty to the off-hand attack, and not provide its shield bonus without the improved buckler defence.

Thanks for the help.

Is this from CW? It had more prerequsites in DotF.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases