Where did polyhedral dice come from?

Reading Stackpole's article linked to in another thread, he refutes the presence of any satanic significance in rolling 3d6 (which can result in 6-6-6). Obviously, one major reason for using 6 sided dice is that they were readily available. There probably isn't a home in the country that doesn't have a game with a couple of d6s in it.

But this got me to wondering, chicken-egg style, about the use of polyhedral dice in RPGs. Which came first, games that used d4s or d20s, or the dice themselves? How could you play a game that needed dice that didn't exist and why would you design it that way? OTOH, why would a company go to the trouble of making dice for games that didn't exist?

My first copy of D&D (~1980) came with little cut-out chits one could use in place of dice, but the game included a discount coupon for buying dice at your local hobby store, so clearly these dice were already established as standard equipment.

Discuss amongst yourselves. My head hurts now :confused:

guedo79

Explorer
Statistics.

I believe they were made for classes to simulate random numbers. I don't think they have all the shapes we have today but the major ones are there.

guedo79

Explorer
I found an article: http://www.jointhesaga.com/otherviews/gygax.htm

Xavin asks: What were some of the difficulties you had in creating the Greyhawk campaign and how did you get around them? What spurred the idea of using different types of multi-sided dice for gaming?

Gary Gygax answers: The difficulties I had in creating the GH campaign were mainly keeping up with demand. With over 20 eager players avidly awaiting another session, it was demanding to keep the material coming fast enough. As to the polyhedral dice, we used a 1-20 results spread in a set of WWII military miniatures game rules named TRACTICS. There we said number poker chips 1-20 and draw them from a bag. Then, around 1972, I discovered the polyhedral dice in a school supply catalog. They were perfect for the random number spreads I had in mind for a certain fantasy game I was writing...

s/LaSH

First Post
diaglo said:
a few months back you could bid on an Egyptian d20 from a long time ago. ;)

Hinting at the fact that all the traditional dice shapes (except the d10) are of a particular type used in ancient Greek elemental theory. The shapes have been around and mathematically known for a few thousand years. I bet they didn't take long to write numbers on the sides. Very fond of numbers, those classical philosophers.

martynq

Explorer
Yes, the only possible platonic solids are the tetrahedron, cube, octahedron, dodecahedron and icosahedron (a.k.a., d4, d6, d8, d12 & d20). That is why they are the dice used. (And one of the projects available for honour students who want to do a project with me at the Maths Dept where I work is precisely to examine the platonic solids! :cool: )

Martyn

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases