What's the tone of your campaign?

eris404

Explorer
Feeling a bit depressed by some recent events, so I wanted something pleasant to talk about. :\

Like the subject line says, what's the tone of your campaign or rather, what kind of tone do you enjoy most? Some examples might be whimsical/humorous, bleak, realistic, high action, etc. - but don't be limited by these terms and don't be confined to one term. If you're feeling up to it, give examples of what you mean. What movie or book most resembles your campaign?

One of the games I really enjoy is run by Kid Charlemagne and I would describe it as "magical realism" or maybe "realistic fairy tale." It's still D&D, but the NPCs and monsters behave in realistic ways and have understandable motives. Though there are dark elements to the game, it is still light in tone - we're not out saving the world, just the next village over maybe. The world has lots of fey and fey folklore and an element of humor to it. Lots of magic, but not an overabundance of it. Our characters are heroes, but they are also young and still students at a magical college - there's a lot we don't know as characters and for the first time in a little while, there are things as a player I don't know. Most resembles Harry Potter. :)

Crothian

First Post
Legendary, mythical.....

I have two PCs, both's final goal is to be come a god. THey arefocused on doing things that help the world at as a whole and bring it into a new era.

Ibram

First Post
My games tend to be somewhat Gothic Horror / HPL weirdness, with a bit of swashbuckling / Wuxia goodness thrown in.

Belegbeth

First Post
I would describe the campaign I'm currently running as something like a mix between "Excalibur" and "Call of Cthulhu." The novels that have inspired me the most for it are Jack Vance's Lyonnesse books.

ForceUser

Explorer
My monthly campaign is a mixture of traditional romantic high fantasy and Moorcock-style epic wierdness on a cosmological scale.

My bi-weekly campaign is a High Middle Ages, city-based story of mystery and intrigue revolving around the Machiavellian schemes of the ruling noble families.

I love both my games. :)

Samothdm

First Post
The campaign I play in is a Tolkien-like fantasy (1,000 years after the War of the Ring) with a few elements from Wheel of Time and I some stuff that seaped in from my DM's exposure to Baldur's Gate. It's relatively lower-magic but with "legendary" battles and enemies and such.

The campaign that I DM is a lower-magic political intrigue campaign with lots of racial, religious, and cultural tensions.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The tone of my "Out of the Frying Pan" campaign is best captured by these two phrases. . .

"The worth of a hero is not if he dies, of course he is going to die, but rather how he acquits himself."

"When bad things happen to good people. . ."

the Jester

Legend
Epic game I run: The highest fantasy I've ever run or played. Wacky and weird, tinted darkly.

Low-level game I run: Light-hearted, halfling-oriented, a lil silly (for instance, they had a series of games revolving around jam recently).

Capellan

Explorer
Q-Ship: goofy, pulp SF adventure/humour
Copperheads: methodical, pragmatic pursuit of wealth and power
X-Path: gung-ho, WWE-with-guns, dungeon-crawlin' action
Saltmarsh: bombastic action/adventure :)

Right now I'm going back to basics. Two adventurers out for fame, fortune, and excitement. I usually like to tell a loosely tied together story from adventure to adventure, but this one is just like a bunch of one-shots with the same characters. I'm beginning to interweave some plot-lines that will come up later(next adventure will involve a small goblin tribe that the characters faced a few members of on their first adventure for example), but this is a beer and pretzels type game I think I've heard it called.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases