How do you make a super strong monster appear really strong when running an encounter

johnsemlak

First Post
A possible future encounter for the PCs in my 3e rendition of X4-X5 is a band of Ogre War Hulks, or perhaps a similarly classed Hill Giant. IMC I've make war hulks elite units of the Master's army.

I haven't worked out their strengths or other stats yet, with just afew War Hulk class levels they'll be pretty strong (the class, available on WotC's site and the Miniautres Handbook, grants +2 to str per level, but grants no BAB progression).'

What are some useful tips on roleplaying and running uber strong NPCs to really make their strength impress the players.

I'm thinking of having them trow some unuual large objects at the characters. I'll possibly have them performs some other feats of strength in front of the PCs.

Bottom line, I'm looking for a way for their STR to matter besides the bonus to attack and damage.

Are there any particularly good weapons to suggest for the encounter?

Henry

Autoexreginated
johnsemlak said:
A possible future encounter for the PCs in my 3e rendition of X4-X5 is a band of Ogre War Hulks, or perhaps a similarly classed Hill Giant. IMC I've make war hulks elite units of the Master's army.

I haven't worked out their strengths or other stats yet, with just afew War Hulk class levels they'll be pretty strong (the class, available on WotC's site and the Miniautres Handbook, grants +2 to str per level, but grants no BAB progression).'

What are some useful tips on roleplaying and running uber strong NPCs to really make their strength impress the players.

Remember that for Large and Huge creatures, a high strength means that it can pick up double or even QUADRUPLE what's listed on the charts. A large Ogre with a 22 STR can pick up over a half-TON over its head. A giant with a huge size and, say, a 29 STR could pick up over 2 and a half TONS and still throw it.

Describe the kinds of things he's throwing, the cracking and splintering sounds of whatever he's picking up and tossing, just the effortless POWER he exudes, and your players will be all over themselves NOT to get in his grasp. If he does get his hands on something to toss, use the rules either for giants in the Monster manual, or the Telekinesis rules in the PHB as a guideline to damage.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Have the players first encounter them at a distance; maybe the players cross a ridge or other vista to see a small settlement in the distance come under attack by the bad guys. They get to see some impressive damage done, and by the time they get there, the bad guys have left. Then they can decide whether to pursue or bug out.

Creeping Death

First Post
johnsemlak said:

I'm thinking of having them trow some unuual large objects at the characters. I'll possibly have them performs some other feats of strength in front of the PCs.

Bottom line, I'm looking for a way for their STR to matter besides the bonus to attack and damage.

Are there any particularly good weapons to suggest for the encounter?

You could make it look like a strength vs skill match. For example, when the PCs fight say a high level orc (read that as a 3-4th level orc), it moves around and seems to be able to get through the pc's defenses and cause damage. This is when it scores a hit of course.

These Ogres don't fight like that. These ogres hit so hard that, when you roll a hit, the shield is batted out of the way and any positioning to have the blow glance off of the armor is ineffective. These guys are strong. Tactics will differentiate them from the other monsters, bull rush, sunder, grapple.

You are not removing AC from the players nor are you giving the Ogres extra bonuses to hit, it's just a matter of description. If an Ogre misses a swing at a player, have it bust a tree in half, break a hole in the wall, spray a bunch of sand from where he hit the ground, or something like that.

One more thing, According to what Henry said, they could throw a half ton boulder... Half a ton, that is 1000 pounds. Take a human fighter, 200lbs, add on armor and gear bringing the total to about 300 to 350 pounds at most. If that ogre can throw about 3x the fighters weight, just imagine how far the pc would fly if the ogre bull rushed him.

Hope that helps some.

Torm

Explorer
Creeping Death said:
If that ogre can throw about 3x the fighters weight, just imagine how far the pc would fly if the ogre bull rushed him.

Or how much damage he would take if the ogre just threw him. OR, how much damage he AND another party member would take if he threw him at them.

Bowling for Ogres.... :D

Doppleganger

First Post
You'll need a variety of demonstrations to make their strength look intimidating. An Ogre rips a maple tree out of the ground and props it up on his shoulders, roots and all. A wagon full of boulders runs off the road into a ditch, then an ogre saunters over and simply kneels beside it to dead lift the entire wagon up, carrying it back to the road and setting it down straight. Another ogre finds a human-sized steel helm on the ground; he tries to put it on his head and it's too small, so he shrugs his shoulders and tightens his fist around the helmet, casually crushing it into a tiny heap of metal, tossing it over his shoulder with disregard. Etc.

shilsen

Adventurer
As previous posters have already said, just using the right descriptions will be enough. But besides that, give some of the monsters the Awesome Blow feat. PCs always pay attention when something hits them and they fly through the air to land with a 'clang' some distance away.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I usually take a clue from the one Sauron battle scene we see in LOTR; massed attackers fly back from them when hit. Another good 'wow, that Giant is strong' method; if you're fighting in a dungeon and the giant misses, describe how it's fist crushes stone and mortar over the characters head. Ripping up trees is a good one. Throwing large farm animals as area-effect weapons. Grabbing a character and simply tossing him over it's shoulder, off a cliff.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases