Attack of Opportunity during an attack of opportunity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anubis

First Post
Okay, say character A tries to use Sunder on character B. A provokes an attack of opportunity. Now say character B uses his attack of opportunity to perform a disarm (to stop the sunder). Disarm normally provokes an attack of opportunity as well, but does it in this case? Nothing in the book says whether you can have an attack of opportunity during an attack of opportunity or not. I wish the books would cover this kind of important information.

:mad:

So what happens? Does the AoO provoke an AoO?

Sejs

First Post
Yep, an AoO can provoke another AoO. This usually isn't that big a deal given how folks only have 1 AoO per round unless they have combat reflexes.

Two characters, both with high dexterity and combat reflexes trying various maneuvers can get... interesting, however.

Stalker0

Legend
This is probably one of the most commonly recurring questions I see on the boards.

My advise, house rule it that an AOO provoking action doesn't provoke an AOO when used during an AOO.

So I sunder you, provoking an AOO, you use your AOO to sunder me... but by the house rule this won't provoke an AOO.

It is much simpler that way.

italianranma

First Post
My advise, house rule it that an AOO provoking action doesn't provoke an AOO when used during an AOO.

I wouldn't do this for just this kind of situation:
So I sunder you, provoking an AOO, you use your AOO to sunder me... but by the house rule this won't provoke an AOO

This will stop all but the untrained from doing any of these cool combat actions. Most players are downright fearful of provoking an AOO (as well they should be) but there are a few special situations where your PCs will take one because they think that juice is worth the squeeze.

Ok this is probably a stupid example but...
Let's say that evil Dinglefairy the Drow is single handedly wiping the floor with the PCs thanks to his mighty staff of Coolness. Dwarfy McDwarfster desides he'll bit the bullet and sunder the staff in twain to stop Dinglefairy's reign of terror. He goes to do it and provokes the AOO (staffs [or is it staves?] are quarterstaff-like weapons), the drow replies by disarming him (with a two-handed weapon no less thus gaining a +4 bonus vs. Mcdwarfster's one-handed dwarven waraxe) and through a lucky roll Mcdwarfster's Axe clatters on the stone floor, and next round his brain is incinerated.
Dwarfy's player: "Thats BS, the drow shoulda provoked an AOO
DM: we houseruled that remember, it was too confusing, my aspirine bills were climbing..., but yeah and he only had 8 hps left too:)
Dwarfy's player: "what?! 8 HPs! I would've done that easy...if only..."[sobs :(]

yeah, that was pretty lame. Just don't mess with the rules if you can help it.

crater

Explorer
Two characters, both with high dexterity and combat reflexes trying various maneuvers can get... interesting, however.

Even with combat reflexes you still only get one AoO against a given opponent each round, no matter how many times they perform an action that should incur one, so getting an AoO inresponse to another AoO shouldnt be too unwieldy.

With a high dex and combat reflexes you get to make AoO's against different opponents, but only one each.

James McMurray

First Post
Crater: that was true in 3.0, it is no longer true in 3.5. You can only get one AoO per provocation, but if someone provokes 15 and you have 15 available, you may take them all.

IceBear

Explorer
James McMurray said:
Crater: that was true in 3.0, it is no longer true in 3.5. You can only get one AoO per provocation, but if someone provokes 15 and you have 15 available, you may take them all.

Oh good, they officially changed that. Well, one of my few house rules is no longer a house rule :)

crater

Explorer

Doh! Thanks for that. Must remember to take combat reflexes more often!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases