Charge and grapple/trip/disarm/sunder ?

Yig

First Post
Hi guys,

Would it be possible to grapple, trip, disarm or sunder as part of a charge action ?

If so, would the +2 bonus to hit be applicable to the appropriate opposed roll ?

Thanks !

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Yig said:
Would it be possible to grapple, trip, disarm or sunder as part of a charge action ?

If so, would the +2 bonus to hit be applicable to the appropriate opposed roll ?

On the Table of Action Types, Grapple, Trip, and Disarm all have a footnote mark that explicitly states they can be used as part of an attack action.

The +2 applies to attack rolls, so it will affect the touch attack roll (but not the opposed grapple or opposed Str check) for Grapple and Trip, and the opposed attack roll for Disarm.

-Hyp.

Yig

First Post
Thanks HS.

As for the opposed attack roll for Disarm, I assume it's a normal attack roll (By that I mean BAB + Str bonus + d20) ?

Legildur

First Post
A charge is listed as a special full-round action (or standard action in limited circumstances).

I thought that Sunder was a standard action and therefore couldn't be used with a charge action? But the v3.5 SRD doesn't indicate what sort of action Sunder is, only that it uses a melee attack.

Legildur

First Post
Yig said:
As for the opposed attack roll for Disarm, I assume it's a normal attack roll (By that I mean BAB + Str bonus + d20) ?

Plus relevant feats, magical abilities, weapon enhancement, spell effects, weapon size modifiers and special size modifiers. So, a little more than simply BAB and Str mods. And don't foget your +2 for charging :)

From the 3.5 SRD:

Step 2: Opposed Rolls. You and the defender make opposed attack rolls with your respective weapons. The wielder of a two-handed weapon on a disarm attempt gets a +4 bonus on this roll, and the wielder of a light weapon takes a –4 penalty. (An unarmed strike is considered a light weapon, so you always take a penalty when trying to disarm an opponent by using an unarmed strike.) If the combatants are of different sizes, the larger combatant gets a bonus on the attack roll of +4 per difference in size category. If the targeted item isn’t a melee weapon, the defender takes a –4 penalty on the roll.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Legildur said:
I thought that Sunder was a standard action and therefore couldn't be used with a charge action?

That's why I didn't list it when I replied :)

But the v3.5 SRD doesn't indicate what sort of action Sunder is, only that it uses a melee attack.

Sure it does.

Check the Table of Action Types. See how Sunder is in the Standard action section (with no footnote), and Trip, Grapple, and Disarm are all in the Action Type Varies section (with footnote 7)?

-Hyp.

AGGEMAM

First Post
shilsen said:
Bad Hyp. Tell the nice man about the FAQ on Sunder.

That's because it is an error in the FAQ. Sunder does not need a special entry at all. If it had worked like they described in the FAQ, Sunder would have been listed along with disarm, trip and grapple.

EDIT Note, that I think Sunder should be a melee attack as the FAQ suggests but the FAQ is wrong in it's reasoning and therefore should not be counted as errata to the rules.

Last edited:

Remove ads