Robin's Laws of Good Game Mastering

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I could be mistaken, but I think you can find a lot of that material online for free. At least, that's what it seemed like to me when I leafed through it - it all seemed familiar.

If it is that material, then it would make for a good read.

Crothian

First Post
I haven't seen it by I doubt you'd see anything in there that hasn't been offered as good advice somewhere on these boards as some time. We have many good gamers here and they are always willing to offer an opinion.

However, if anyone has this does it offer anything particuliarly inspireing?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I think I should clarify my above post - I've seen online articles by Robin Laws, and I got the impression that at least some of the material in the book was originally that online material. SJG did a similar thing with its OGRE book, by collecting together some of the online material.

Falcon

First Post
I have bought it and found it useful for reflecting on how I run a campaign, my DMing style, and what factors to consider in an RPG game. If you can afford the $9.95 tag, buy it.

My cat's breath smell's like cat food.

The best DMing advice I get is from these boards right here, and unless Morrus decides to become chaotic evil and charge a $200 a month charge for using this heavenly realm, I won't pay money to get them in a book. In a thred somewhere recently P-Kitty posted a ton of great tips that make him the 'superjudge' that he is. I can't find it at the moment however.

RichGreen

Adventurer
I'm very glad I bought it. Although it's pretty expensive for such a thin booklet, it is full of interesting ideas.

Cheers

Richard

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
The World-Building articles in Dragon #293 were very good, particularly the one about formatting your D&D campaign like a hit TV series. Really good stuff for half the price of Robin's Laws. Also, AEG's Spycraft had a nice chapter on Game Mastering in it, with stuff applicable to any genre, not just Bond. James Bond. :)

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
ColonelHardisson said:
I think I should clarify my above post - I've seen online articles by Robin Laws, and I got the impression that at least some of the material in the book was originally that online material. SJG did a similar thing with its OGRE book, by collecting together some of the online material.
Any links, Colonel? Regardless of whether it's in the book or not, that is - just anything by Robin D. Laws will do... :)

mmadsen

First Post
Re: My cat's breath smell's like cat food.

The best DMing advice I get is from these boards right here, and unless Morrus decides to become chaotic evil and charge a $200 a month charge for using this heavenly realm, I won't pay money to get them in a book. In a thred somewhere recently P-Kitty posted a ton of great tips that make him the 'superjudge' that he is. I can't find it at the moment however.

It sounds like it might be worth your ten bucks to have a Best of EN World book. It sounds like Robin Laws' book would fit the same mold.

Remove ads