Robin's Laws of Good Game Mastering

mmadsen

First Post
Wow, I would like to thank mmadsen for posting those DMing tips, and PirateCat for writing them up in the first place.

You're quite welcome, Dark Jezter. And we all thank PirateCat everyday. He's a "superjudge" after all. :)

Those are some of the best tips for DMs I've seen. I'll definately have to take that advice to heart. :)

You might also enjoy some of the campaign ideas in Little Changes with Big Flavor (if I may plug another thread of mine).

Last edited:

Nathal

Explorer
I own the book and think it's great. None of it is totally new, but it is good to refresh the ol' memory sometimes, or to see old tricks explained in fresh ways. Robin Laws is an entertaining author, imo.

Maldur

First Post
I like the book, Its not new stuff but Robin Laws writes in a nice style. ( he actually makes great games. I once met him and the guy is boring as hell, but his writing is great). There is some good advice in the book, but most DMs I know thought of these things themselves. but a fun read.

mmadsen

First Post
I like the book, Its not new stuff but Robin Laws writes in a nice style. ( he actually makes great games. I once met him and the guy is boring as hell, but his writing is great).

Hehehe. ;)

There is some good advice in the book, but most DMs I know thought of these things themselves. but a fun read. [/B]

That sounds like what I'd expect: good writing and good ideas, but nothing earthshaking. Thanks for the input.

Falcon

First Post
I like the book, because everything in it is accesible and useable--no ancient mysterious rites a DM Must practice before a session or when planning a campaign. I really wasn't looking for something eart-shattering; rather something that could help coalesce my thinking and give my some things to think about, and help me critically reflect on what I do as a DM and what has happened in my campaigns. The stuff on campaign/story/plot progression and/or development is really useful, I found.

mmadsen

First Post
The stuff on campaign/story/plot progression and/or development is really useful, I found.

That reminds me, what all are the articles in the book? It sounds like he's got a good article (or series of articles) on plotting out your campaign. What else?

(By the way, Robin Laws writes the "The Play's the Thing" column in Dragon. Maybe that's where everyone's seen his articles?)

Remove ads