Playing Time vs Style

What Edition did you start with and what is your style now?

• 0D&D, currently Kick in the Door

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • 0D&D, currently Deep Immersion

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • 0D&D, currently in the middle...

Votes: 32 31.7%
  • 1E, currently Kick in the Door

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 1E, currently Deep Immersion

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • 1E, currently in the middle...

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • 2E, currently Kick in the Door

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 2E, currently Deep Immersion

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • 2E, currently in the middle...

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • 3E, currently Kick in the Door

• 3E, currently Deep Immersion

• 3E, currently in the middle...

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • I started with another RPG (please post)

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Inspired by this thread, I'm starting this poll to determine something about the current trends in the community. While I understand ENWorld is but a slice of the whole picture, I figure it's good enough for the purposes of this poll.

So the question is: How long have you been playing and what is your style preference?

Wombat

First Post
Started playing with the Three Little Books (pre-AD&D) in 1975/6.

Got into them to get away from tactical miniatures gaming.

Been playing ever since.

Now gleefully play heavy roleplay, character driven, minimal tactical gaming. Story and character are far more important that tactics, battleboards, and a wargame-like atmosphere.

Just 'cuz that's the way our group likes it! ;)

Eye Tyrant

First Post
Started with the Red Box...

I like a mix between the role-playing and roll-playing... too much drama can get boring, as can the hack-n-slash mentality.

Last edited:

iwatt

First Post
Started 0ed, last campaign was really deep inmersion d20 modern. Now I'm going through a hack and slash festival just to get away from all the plots and counterplots. :D

diaglo

Adventurer
started with the 3 little booklets playing Deep immersion. i switched from the wargaming side and found the roleplaying aspect to be what i was missing.

personally, i've never left that style.

however, in the last 4 years... it took me 8 groups and some haggling and whining and begging (i ain't to proud to beg) and WIT (whatever it takes) to get a group to roleplay closer to deep immersion. still have an element of hack'n'slash in the group (but i'm patient ;) with them and i'm not the referee) so i guess we are playing in the middle

Zappo

Explorer
Good idea, this poll.

I started with OD&D, and I was undecided between middle ground and deep immersion. I eventually voted middle ground.

Ibram

First Post
I started playing towards the end of 2ed (introduced to an ancient homebrewed world my freshman year at the University). When I started DMing in 3rd it was a hack 'n slash game (I even rolled on the random magic item table, which I have never since done again). Now I prefer games in the middle.

I just surrendered my DM hat for a few months to a guy that wants to run a "traditional" D&D game (not sure how long that will last, my group isnt the biggest fan of H&S).

The_Gneech

Explorer
I started with pretty hack'n'slash AD&D, changed to deep-immersion HERO System in college and stayed there until ~1997 or so, then pretty much wasn't gaming until 3.0 came out.

These days, I do pretty much exclusively d20 games, with a little more emphasis on the action than the RP, but still enough interaction to keep it from being more than just a skirmish game. As weird as it may sound, I got tired of nuanced NPCs and meaningful plots. Now I want to kill monsters and take their stuff. :p

-The Gneech :cool:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases