Can a person whistle with no tongue?

drunkmoogle

First Post
The most memorable NPC I've ever run was a stuck-up mute female half-elf wizard. Her raven did her talking for her, and she prepared all her spells Silenced. Only then is a 7th level wizard balanced for a group of 3rd level PCs :).

When it wasn't convenient for her to have her familiar, she just tapped her quarterstaff around. She would'nt bring herself to the level of playing charades, and it really pissed off the PCs.

auroragyps said:
although Rogue is up there as a choice...
If you want to use my idea, go Arcane Trickster. And see if your GM would allow you to make Silent Spell not adjust the SL of a spell because of your handicap (you're already taking a feat for it).

Elrik_DarkFury

First Post
You finally found a nice bunch of people to play with? :) (I had read the thread with your problem)-good for you!(That also happened to me last week).I would prefer the damaged throat story but thats up to u.Whatever u choose happy role-playing :)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Yes, it has more to do with the mouth than the tongue. You can also use object like a blade of grass held lenght wise between your thumbs, or your hands and fingers. It just takes time and effort to master.

JoeBlank

Explorer
I am currently playing a mute ex-slave myself. Being wise like AuroraGyps, I too asked ENW for advice. A link to the thread is here:

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73977

And here is the storyhour for the campaign:

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76667

Basically, I ended up relying on sign language (on which I spent skill points, and his "friend" in the game did too), simple gestures, and a signal whistle to take the place of shouting from a distance. Haven't had to use the whistle yet, as the group has stuck together for the most part.

I'm having a good time with it, hope you do too.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
That depends on where exactly IN the nose the nerve endings that recognize smell are...

When you have a clogged nose, you cant smell anything, which leads me to belive that the nerve endings which recognize smell are deeper in the nasal cavity. If they are far back enough that they are in your skull, and not in the cartilage that makes the nose, then yes, you could smell without a nose.

AuroraGyps

First Post
Elrik_DarkFury said:
You finally found a nice bunch of people to play with? :) (I had read the thread with your problem)-good for you!(That also happened to me last week).I would prefer the damaged throat story but thats up to u.Whatever u choose happy role-playing :)

I don't have a new group yet, but I'm working on it. There were a couple of people in that group who seemed more simpathetic and I'm planning to send them an e-mail to see if they still like to hang out. It wasn't a pleasant learning experience, but I'm taking the lesson to heart. Thanks for the words of encouragement... posting about what happened on ENWorld helped alot.

I still keep coming up with PC ideas though. Probably because of all the reading I do. I'll be very ready when I find a new group. ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases