Metahuman College-Issue one: College bound [IC]

Synchronicity

First Post
James Dunbar, HP 5/5

Dark Nemesis said:
-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

“Oh? I am very sorry to hear that, Mr. Dunbar,” Mr Bell said in reply, still looking a bit concerned about his ‘headaches’. But it appeared that James did not want to elaborate on the issue, so Bell did not pursue it.

“Mr. Pike is not himself a metahuman, but throughout his life, he has known many people who were. Many of them had difficulty in trying to learn more about their powers, and William sympathized with them. Now that he has the means, he is interested in helping other metahumans in ways that he could not help his former companions,” Mr. Bell smiled faintly as he told James this, caught up for a moment in a memory. After a moment’s pause, he continued. “What we primarily require from our students is that they maintain secrecy regarding our metahuman program. Several members of our faculty are of the opinion that we might attract unwanted attention, should it become public knowledge that the program exists.”

James sat and listened as Mr Bell spoke, paying careful attention to his words.
'Former companions? I wonder what happened to them?'

"Well, secrecy shouldn't be a problem. I'm not one for advertising my abilities at the best of times. I find I get less trouble that way."

'And less retrieval teams sent by my late uncle's associates. Assuming he had any. Well, a stately home in Ireland sounds like an unlikely place to anyone to look for me..'

James looked up, decided.

"Well, I'm willing to give it a shot; at least to take a look at the place. Anything I need to do; guarantees I need to make, forms I need to sign, whatever?"

Last edited:

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Marcus Stevens (Proton) HPs: 5/5

University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

Shannon Steele said:
“Err… yes. What’s going on.…” She turned and looked at the metal door behind her, as if checking to see if it was still there. Sure enough, it was. “Well… I did not hear the whole story, but from the way people were talking, it sounded like one of the experiments escaped. I wasn’t working on that project, but I heard about it, and it sounded scary!” The girl made a face. “So… uh… can I hang out with you guys for awhile? Just until its been caught?”

“Uh-huh, really,” Marcus said, his voice dripping with sarcasm and disbelief. “Look, Ms. Steele, I’m sure you weren’t back there by accident. So, I’m guessing you’ve got a better idea of what’s going on. Is someone in trouble? Is there a danger to them, or more importantly, us?”

Marcus’s initial thought was to just drop it, especially with the other two guys standing there. But if there was some kind of trouble or something went wrong, Marcus wouldn’t be able to forgive himself if he read about it in tomorrow’s paper – plus he had a few more minutes before his meeting.

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
Jonn Birkey (Rumble)

University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

The woman's answer somehow seemed to calm any fears Jonn had. That didn't seem to be the case for the other two guys, they almost seemed more tense! He was unsure what to do. If he had been in costume he would just barge in and offer to help, people seemed okay with that. However he was on a college campus with a handful of strangers and that was not going to work. "Ms. why don't you step over here away from that door and you can tell me more about what's going on."

Maybe if he could get her to move, the other guys could check on the situation. This woman worked up here, she had to know somethng more!

dmcfee

First Post
Maxwell Helmdig

"Stay calm. My name is Max. You are in North Carolina. Everything is O.K. Are you O.K.? If you need a doctor I have car we can use. I have a cell phone if you need to let anyone know you have ... well ... arrived. Where did you come from anyway?"

Max helps the girl to her feet and begins to lead her out of the field.

Dark Nemesis

First Post
-Watching Cloud Rice
Madison, Wisconsin
August 2, 2003

“Well, Miss Rice, the tuition varies with each set of classes, but the price usually averages at about $4,000 for each semester. There is the scholarship available for metahumans, which will cover tuition, meals, and room and board. Of course, there are some rather strict requirements involved in maintaining that scholarship. Pertaining to your second question, we have a number of ways that we used to locate metahumans, though I am not sure which method located you specifically. As for your third question, I am certain that we can make arrangements for transportation for you and your family to see the school.” He then smiled faintly. “The worst case scenario of course, is that I might have to borrow Mr. Pike’s plane to fly you and your family out there myself.”

-Mai Hoshiko
Aug. 2, 2003
Tokyo, Japan

“Perhaps you will, Mai-san. Perhaps you will,” Mr. Bell said with a knowing smile. “Are there any other questions? If not, I can give both of you some information to take back to your families, and we’ll be in touch concerning the open house.”

Having finished reading his pamphlet, Ken shakes his head no, indicating that he had no questions.

-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

“Very well,” Mr. Bell reached into one of the desk drawers, retrieving a packet of forms. He handed them across the table to James. “These are the general admission forms for the university. I will just need for you to fill them out, and bring them with you. There will be an open house that will take place on August 11th, and classes will begin on the 18th. Before then, we can make transportation arrangements to get you to the school.” He then retrieved one more form, and placed it atop the stack of forms. “This is the application for the passport. I would like for you to fill that form out while you are here, as we need to begin processing that as soon as possible.” With all of the necessary papers given to James, Mr. Bell leans back in his chair. “Are there any other questions you have for me, Mr. Dunbar?”

-Marcus Stevens & Jonn Birkey
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

It is clear by Shannon’s reaction that she was not expecting Marcus’s slightly-less-than-empathic reply. She opened her mouth to answer, and then closed it. She seemed responsive to Jonn’s words, though, and took a few steps away from the door. “I didn’t actually see the thing, but I was told one of the experiments had gotten out of its testing area. The scientists were trying to lock down the area, and they told me to leave because I technically am not supposed to have access to the labs.”

Apparently, Marcus and Jonn were handling the situation well enough, as the huge African-American boy was content to stand back, taking in what Shannon had said.

-Maxwell Helmdig
Aynor, South Carolina
August 2, 2003

“Max,” the girl repeated the name, as if it were in an alien language. She listens intently to Max’s words, and does little when Max approaches her and helps her to stand. “Doctor… no, I think I am uninjured. What is a cell phone? What planet is this? Are we outside of the Affinity?”

Rybaer

First Post
Madison Public Library
Madison, Wisconsin
August 2, 2003

Watching Cloud gets a twinge of unease when Mr. Bell mentions the "strict requirements" necessary for maintaining the metahuman scholarship. Still, until she knows all the details, she doesn't want to pass any judgements. The opportunity to attend a fascinating looking school on a full scholarship is just too tempting not to give it thorough consideration.

"If borrowing a private plane to fly us there is your worst case scenario, I can only imagine what the best case might be," Cloud says with a wry grin. "Mr. Bell, I would love to at least attend the open house. Hopefully that will answer all my questions so I can make the best decision as to whether or not to attend Greenwood Academy. Is there anything else I must do aside from making arrangements for traveling?"

Synchronicity

First Post
James Dunbar, HP 5/5

Dark Nemesis said:
-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

“Very well,” Mr. Bell reached into one of the desk drawers, retrieving a packet of forms. He handed them across the table to James. “These are the general admission forms for the university. I will just need for you to fill them out, and bring them with you. There will be an open house that will take place on August 11th, and classes will begin on the 18th. Before then, we can make transportation arrangements to get you to the school.” He then retrieved one more form, and placed it atop the stack of forms. “This is the application for the passport. I would like for you to fill that form out while you are here, as we need to begin processing that as soon as possible.” With all of the necessary papers given to James, Mr. Bell leans back in his chair. “Are there any other questions you have for me, Mr. Dunbar?”

James gives an ironic smile at the mention of the open house.
"Well, I'll come along on the 11th. It'll just be me, though; all the relatives I know about are dead."
James seemed remarkably unconcerned by the deceased nature of his immediate family.

(If Bell makes the usual kind of 'Oh, I'm sorry' noises, James'll do the following)
James' demeanour shifted again at Bell's sympathy, returning to hostility for a moment. He swatted away Bell's words with a wave of his hand.

"Save it. Everybody dies sometime."

'And your sympathy didn't save me from eight years of pain.'

(Of course, if he doesn't react, just ignore that bit.)

"About this set-up...this scholarship covers tuition, right? 'Cause while beating up on muggers is always fun, it hasn't exactly been paying the bills. Oh, and another thing; how're you planning on keeping us a secret if you're going to give us lessons regarding us being different and having powers? I mean, I'm thinking that the other students might get a bit suspicious if they see somebody bench-pressing trucks or whatever."

James raises a eyebrow at Mr Bell as he finishes, curious to hear his replies. Then he reaches over, takes the form from the desk, pulls a pen from his coat and starts filling it in. He glances up with a mocking smile on his face.

"I hope you don't need parental or guardian's consent for anything."

'Because I'm not going to Hell just to get my uncle's signature. Maybe I'd go there if I got to spit in his eye as well.'

Last edited:

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
Jonn Birkey (Rumble)

University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

Jonn guided Shannon away from the door while listening to her story. He really did not want some huge accident to happen because he was too caught up in his own life. If the people from the school couldn't understand that he felt a responsibility to help, then maybe that was not the place for him. "Miss, can you open the door to let me into those labs. I am not asking you to go with me, but I really think I can be of help to the people stuck in there. I wouldn't ask if I didn't think it was necessary."

Jonn has one hand on her shoulder, not in a firm grip, but in a comforting, 'you are not alone' way. He is making direct eye contact and trying his best to let her know just how important this is. I hope I'm not too late!

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Marcus Stevens (Proton) HPs: 5/5

While the stranger he had passed talked with Ms. Steele, Marcus moved across to the other man present.

"Hey, I'm Marcus," Marcus said by way of introduction. He looked at the man's body type and noticed similarities with his own. In fact, the stranger who was talking with Ms. Steele seemed to have the same build as well.

"I was heading up to a meeting in room 425, you?" Marcus offered loud enough that everyone could hear.

Calinon

First Post
"Nope, no questions from me!" says Hoshiko cheerfully. Taking the offered information pamphlets, she adds, "Mother and father will be so happy! I can't wait to tell them," she says, already heading for the door, hoping Ken doesn't buttonhole her into more uncomfortable questions.

Remove ads