Metahuman College-Issue one: College bound [IC]

Dark Nemesis

First Post
-Watching Cloud Rice
Madison Public Library
Madison, Wisconsin
August 2, 2003

Perhaps Cloud’s unease showed upon her face, or perhaps Mr. Bell had received questions concerning the requirements from other prospective students. Either way, he quickly added, “Of course, we ask nothing of you that would be considered illegal. The requirements include maintaining a certain grade point average, and being discrete in who you tell about our metahuman program.”

He smiled then, pleased by Cloud’s words. “I will give you the necessary paperwork now; if you decide to attend the school, we will need it completed before the term begins on August 18. The only thing remaining is the matter of a passport. Do you have one? You will no doubt need it in order to travel to Ireland.”

-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

When James mentions his lack of relatives, Mr. Bell pauses, giving him an odd look. After studying him for a long moment, he finally said. “I see. Well, I am very sorry to hear that.” He says nothing in response to James’ comment concerning death.

When James asks about the metahuman program, Mr. Bell smiled. “Yes, the scholarship covers tuition, meals and room and board. Some of your classes will be taken alongside students with metahuman capabilities. However, there will be separate classes for those with powers, and those will be held in areas that will be inaccessible to those who are not in the program.”

-Marcus Stevens and Jonn Birkey
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

Shannon bit her lower lip at Jonn’s request, uncertain. “I don’t know… what if it escaped? Then it would be all my fault. Maybe we should just keep the door locked, and get out of here. After all, Dr. Cline used to work for Oscorp, and he designed the security system. He always said nothing could get out once that door was closed.

“Hey man, I’m Rich,” the other fellow said with a grin. “Yeah, I’m heading up to 425 as well. Meeting some guy about a college scholarship. You too, huh?”

-Mai Hoshiko
Aug. 2, 2003
Tokyo, Japan

Mr. Bell smiled at Hoshiko’s enthusiasm. “Very well, I am looking forward to seeing you and your family at the open house.” He then paused, as if remembering something. “Oh yes, Mai-san? I forgot to ask, do you have a passport? If not, I have the necessary form, but I will need you to fill it out here.”

Last edited:

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
Jonn Birkey (Rumble)

University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

425!

Still facing Shannon, Jonn looked over her shoulder at the other two guys in the hall with him. If they are here for the same thing I am, does that mean they can do the same kinds of things I can?

Jonn leaned past Shannon, keeping his hand on her. "Hey uh, guys. I'm going to room 425, too. And I kind of have some experience with, well..." Jonn shifted his eyes quickly to Shannon and back. "Well with stuff like this. Any chance you guys have too?"

Synchronicity

First Post
James Dunbar, HP 5/5

Dark Nemesis said:
-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

When James mentions his lack of relatives, Mr. Bell pauses, giving him an odd look. After studying him for a long moment, he finally said. “I see. Well, I am very sorry to hear that.” He says nothing in response to James’ comment concerning death.

When James asks about the metahuman program, Mr. Bell smiled. “Yes, the scholarship covers tuition, meals and room and board. Some of your classes will be taken alongside students with metahuman capabilities. However, there will be separate classes for those with powers, and those will be held in areas that will be inaccessible to those who are not in the program.”

'Well, that all sounds very..neat. Which probably means that something's going to go wrong within the first week.'

James says nothing of his thoughts, instead quickly and precisely filling in the passport form.

'It's been so long since I've been in a school. Having information inserted directly into your brain while being shot full of memory enhancing drugs isn't quite the same thing.'

A small sympathy pain flickers behind James' eye, leftover memory of Maxwell's 'teaching technique.'

"I'm a little behind in some areas of my schooling at present." 'Like the areas of politics which don't deal with knowing about political situations and their ramifications on the mercenary market, the areas of chemistry that don't involve making bombs, and the areas of history which don't have to do with war.'
"I'm guessing I may be able to arrange to remedy that at the academy?

James digests Bell's answer for a moment, then hands back the form.

"Well, if that's...oh, one other thing. The..vacation period. We'll be able to leave the school during that? Go...elsewhere?

James tries to look unconcerned as he asks the question, pretending it's of no important; but behind his sunglasses, his eyes are focused sharply on Bell, awaiting his response.

Because I'm going to have to come back here to check on Amelia...and I'll do it, one way or another. Let's hope it's allowed, or else I'll have to be more careful about it.

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
Madison Public Library
Madison, Wisconsin
August 2, 2003

Dark Nemesis said:
Perhaps Cloud’s unease showed upon her face, or perhaps Mr. Bell had received questions concerning the requirements from other prospective students. Either way, he quickly added, “Of course, we ask nothing of you that would be considered illegal. The requirements include maintaining a certain grade point average, and being discrete in who you tell about our metahuman program.”

He smiled then, pleased by Cloud’s words. “I will give you the necessary paperwork now; if you decide to attend the school, we will need it completed before the term begins on August 18. The only thing remaining is the matter of a passport. Do you have one? You will no doubt need it in order to travel to Ireland.”

Watching Cloud inwardly gives a sigh of relief when he comes out and says that nothing illegal would be expected of her. She still suspects there may be ulterior motives behind the program for metahumans, but her sense of unease has diminished considerably.

"I already have a current passport," she says. "My old girlscout troop had a lot of money by the time we were seniors in high school, but only three girls left. We decided to take a trip to Paris during spring break to finish off the funds before the troop disbanded and we went off to college. It's amazing how many boxes of cookies we sold over the years."

She takes the paper work and neatly tucks it into the brochure. She stands and offers Mr. Bell her hand once more.

"It was a pleasure to meet you and I'm really looking forward to the open house. This sounds like a great opportunity. Let me know as soon as possible about the travel arrangements so my parents can try to get off work."

Cloud turns to leave, then hesitates and looks back at Mr. Bell. "Oh, one more quick question," she says. "Is the school's address in the brochure? I'd like to look it up on a map. Maybe scope out the internet to see what the area is like."

dmcfee

First Post
Maxwell Helmdig

"O.K., let's get back to the car and get you out of the open. First of all, a cell phone is a communications device that, if you don’t know what planet we are on, probably won’t be useful for you. Second, we are on the planet Earth and I don’t know what the Affinity is. Why don’t you tell me about it while we get out of here.”

Max leads the girl back to the car and then drives back to his hotel while listening to her story. When he gets to the hotel he gets her a separate room. That night he tries to think of any superhero contacts he might have that could help him with Alien Contacts.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Marcus Stevens (Proton) HPs: 5/5

University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

Rich said:
“Hey man, I’m Rich,” the other fellow said with a grin. “Yeah, I’m heading up to 425 as well. Meeting some guy about a college scholarship. You too, huh?”

"Good ta meet ya, Rich," Marcus said, "Yeah, I got a card . . . blah blah unique abilities and qualifications . . . blah blah . . . scholarship . . . blah . . . room 425."

Jonn said:
Jonn leaned past Shannon, keeping his hand on her. "Hey uh, guys. I'm going to room 425, too. And I kind of have some experience with, well..." Jonn shifted his eyes quickly to Shannon and back. "Well with stuff like this. Any chance you guys have too?"

Marcus looked at the other two men apprehensively for a moment or two. It hadn't dawned on him that others would be here, or that the scholarship would be about powers - of course it was powers, what else could unique abilities mean. Marcus nodded and said, "Yeah, I've got some abilities to deal with 'stuff' like this."

Marcus asked Ms Steele, "Are there any others trapped behind the metal wall?"

Last edited:

Dark Nemesis

First Post
-Jonn Birkey & Marcus Stevens
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
August 2, 2003

Rich moved closer to the door, and tapped it with one finger. “Yeah, I’ve deal with some stuff like this before. Nothing like this, but similar stuff. I could try to lift this door, see what’s behind it.”

Nervously, Shannon pulled away from Jonn slightly, testing his grip. She looked at each of them in turn, trying to figure out what they were talking about. At last she spoke up to answer Marcus’s question. “Y-yeah, there are a few other people in there…”

-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

“Of course, Mr. Dunbar. Included in that packet of information is a catalogue of classes and a sign in sheet. That particular catalogue also has listings for a few of the metahuman classes we are offering, though not all of them. Some will be offered at the Open House.” Mr. Bell accepts the form, and looks over it briefly, before placing it in a manila folder. “I’ll have your passport sent to your home. Now, about vacation period, you are welcome to leave the school grounds if you so choose, so long as you are back for the start of term.”

-Watching Cloud Rice
Madison, Wisconsin
August 2, 2003

Mr. Bell shakes her hand firmly. “The pleasure was all mine, Miss Rice, and I look forward to seeing you and your family at the Open House. We will be in touch in a few days to make travel arrangements.”

When Cloud turns to leave, Mr. Bell starts to pack papers into his briefcase. However, when she speaks up, he looks back at her. “Ah, yes. I believe the school’s address is on the last page of your brochure. There is also an expanded catalogue of classes, if you are interested.”

-Maxwell Helmdig
Aynor, South Carolina
August 2 2003

“Planet Earth…” she paused for a long moment, thinking. “I have never heard of Earth. That is good, it means we are far away from the Affinity.” When Max mentions that he has never heard of the Affinity, she looks shocked, and pleased at the same time. “The Affinity are invaders who came to my planet. We tried to fight, but they took over everything. I was able to escape with a few others…” she looked around. “Are they here?”

Upon seeing the car, the girl expresses her amazement at such a device. She walks around it a few times, before climbing up onto the roof and looking in through the windshield. “Amazing! You can see this beast’s insides through its eyes!”

As Max tries to think of superheroes, many come to mind. Superman, Batman, the Fantastic Four… all of them have dealt with aliens at some time or another. Unfortunately, Max could not think of any that he knew personally.

-Mai Hoshiko
Aug. 2, 2003
Tokyo, Japan

As Hoshiko once again resumes her seat, Mr. Bell hands her a form to fill out. “Once you fill this out, I will take it with me and have it processed. We should have a passport for you in a few days.”

Ken, however, already had a passport. He stood up, bowed to Mr. Bell and excused himself. However, as he reached the door, he paused and looked back at Hoshiko. The expression on his face made it clear that he was debating whether he should wait for her or not.

Synchronicity

First Post
James Dunbar, HP 5/5

Dark Nemesis said:
-James Dunbar
New York, New York
August 2, 2003

“Of course, Mr. Dunbar. Included in that packet of information is a catalogue of classes and a sign in sheet. That particular catalogue also has listings for a few of the metahuman classes we are offering, though not all of them. Some will be offered at the Open House.” Mr. Bell accepts the form, and looks over it briefly, before placing it in a manila folder. “I’ll have your passport sent to your home. Now, about vacation period, you are welcome to leave the school grounds if you so choose, so long as you are back for the start of term.”

James relaxed slightly at Bell's words. 'Well, that's good. I won't have to break any rules to visit Amelia during vacation.'

"Well, I don't have any other questions, save one. What are the arrangements for the Open House? For transportation, I mean."

Calinon

First Post
Hoshiko quickly fills out the forms, gives them to Mr. Bell and bounds out of the room with a "See you soon!" She heads towards the exit cheerfully, intent on heading to the train station and riding back home to tell her parents.

Remove ads