Should girls be allowed to play fighter characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot_lil_witch

First Post
My dm says that girls can only play wizards and clerics and classes like that. I want to play a paladin, but he says that only guys can be paladins. Help is that true?

Alejandro

First Post
As always, reference Appendix B, clause 4 of the DM-PC contract. Mine, for example, stipulates a sliding scale for gender-biased race/class combinations. There are some who can afford the Platinum contract, but even then you may be relegated to the role of an elf, regardless of your actual gender.

Trickstergod

First Post
No.

No, no, no, no, no.

At least not in normal D&D.

For that matter, it'd be a hard sell to try and make any claims that a woman couldn't be a fighting class no matter what the campaign setting. Even if there's a strong patriarchal mindset to the game setting, saying a woman couldn't be a fighter is still impossible - there's always going to be a few exceptions here and there, though people who meet them might show a great deal of bias if they show off their skills or possibly even try to kill them. But that's something that should be dealt with during the game.

And women not being able to be paladins?

My definition of Good doesn't include sexism in it.

So yes, women can be paladins. (Or men, too. I'm looking at you, Scarred Lands...) It's a warped point of view that a god embodying Good would allow sexism.

There might be more to this, but from the sound of it, your DM is just being a prig.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Not sure if this post is authentic, but in case it is...

As far as the rules, as written, you can play any class you want. Your DM is being ridiculous. Have him show you specifically in the rules where it says you cannot play any class based on gender.

Vahktang

First Post
No, that is not true.
Talk to the GM. Tell the GM that girls can do all sorts of things that guys can do.
That there should be no limits because of gender.
(A D & D notwithstanding.)

Oh, and if he tries the:
'guys are stronger, so they get a bonus to STR (or a female PC has to take a minus)

Then insist on both a DEX and CON bonus.
Because women can take more pain and do most DEX stuff better.

More later,

Vahktang

johnsemlak

First Post
Well, certainly the rules have ABSOLUTELY NO prohibitions against female paladins.

The iconic paladin illustrated in the PHB is female (what's her name?).

There are plenty of iconic female warriors (is warrioress a word?) in legend and literature. Conan had several female warrior partners in the movies and the books. Eowyn, from LotR. Joan of Arc was a real historical character.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Hj,

I'll assume it is. And like everyone here, no women can be what ever they want. Even half troll half celestial avoral female paladins with epic level holy avengers. :p :)

Trick,

I assume you're referring to all the Madrielite female paladin order eh? Well they aren't always the norm my friend. Just happen to have two very well known ones.

Janx

Hero
I would tend to agree with TricksterGod.

I'm guessing your new to D&D.

Typical D&D games allow a player to be any combination of gender, race and class from the Players Handbook. This can even mean male players playing female half-orc paladins.

Some DM's develop extra setting material that strictly defines what combinations can be made. Every DM's setting can be different on what they'll allow. You're DM could be trying to represent real medieval europe wear women were restricted from many roles in society.

Some DM's also put their real-world cultural biases into the game, such as disallowing girls from playing, or some other such thing (such as not letting you play a female paladin). These DM's are to be avoided.

If you can't tell the difference between the two types of "restrictive" DM, here's a few tests:

Ask your DM:
What classes are male characters not allowed to be?
What are all the classes female characters not allowed to be?
Can you play a male character?
Can a guy play a female character?
What reasons are there for such restrictions?

If the overall responses tend to come out favoring guys, then you may have a sexist DM. You can probably find a better one.

One a silly note, if he says girls can't be paladins because they're too weak, you could beat the stuffing out of him, while shouting "who's you're daddy?!"

Janx

takyris

First Post
In the event that this is actually real, then no. While the DM can create a campaign in which women are socially prohibited from certain classes, or even physically prohibited (although that's against the spirit of the rules), saying that a female player can't play a certain class is just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases