D&D 3E/3.5 Could someone provide a quick primer on how D&D 3.5 psionics work?

johnsemlak

First Post
I'm not familiar with psionics in any edition beyond the Mind Flayer's psionic blast from 1e. I'm considering 'crossing the line' and looking at psionics. However, when I hear people talk about the rules for psionics I get a little overwhelmed. At times it seems like arcane magic with a different name, but there's a lot different about it as well.

Could someone offer me a short psionics 'primer' for how psionics, as in the Expanded Psionics Handbook work? Particularly the stuff about power points and so fourth.

How does it differ from arcane and divine magic?

What are the most important ramifications when the DM allows psionics in their campaign?

Flyspeck23

First Post
johnsemlak said:
Could someone offer me a short psionics 'primer' for how psionics, as in the Expanded Psionics Handbook work? Particularly the stuff about power points and so fourth.
A psionic character receives power points like spellcaster receive spells per day (and they get bonus points for high ability scores).

Every psionic power costs a certain amount of power points, depending on the power's level. A 1st level power costs 1 point, a 2nd level power costs 3 points, and so on.

On top of that some powers can be augmented: when manifesting (read: casting) the power, you can spend more points then the power costs for some increased effect (depending on the power, this can be an increase in damage, a higher DC, greater range, and so on). A character can never spend more points on a particular power than she has manifester levels.

One effect of power points: you're not limited to a certain number of powers per level. You could "waste" all your power points on low-level powers if you want, for instance.

johnsemlak said:
How does it differ from arcane and divine magic
Psionics seems to be focused most on improving yourself. But that's by no means all they can do.

In effect, all psionic characters are "improved spontaneous casters". They know a certain number of powers - just like the sorcerer. But because some powers can be augmented, even low-level powers can be worthwile.
Example: Astral construct. It's a 1st level power, and creates a 1st level astral construct. But the power can be augmented to create 2nd to 9th level constructs too (Remember the rule about not spending more power points than you've got manifester levels? So a 1st level psion could still only create a 1st level construct).

They can heal, but only to a lesser degree.

johnsemlak said:
What are the most important ramifications when the DM allows psionics in their campaign?
Well, now there are psionics in the world. That's about it ;)

Did this answer your questions?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
In a nutshell, psions and their ilk gain powers, and they have a gradually increasing pool of power points (pp).

Powers are ranked by level, 1-9. Psychic warriors have their own separate tables, plus there is a much shorter table of "domain specialty" powers which are available for selection by telepaths/kineticists/shapers etc. (others can gain access to powers from these list for a feat).

powers typically don't automatically scale with caster level like spells do, but they can be "augmented" by pushing extra pps into them - akin to casting them as a higher level spell. Not all powers can be augmented, but those that can describe the benefit (e.g. a 3rd level energy power might do 5d6 damage for 5pp, and every pp added gives +1d6 and +1/2 DC).

Metapower feats can be applied spontaneously and also increase pp usage (plus expend psionic focus... more on that later).

You can't spend more pp in an action than your level. Thus a 9th level psion could augment his 3rd level energy power by +6pp so that it does 11d6 with a save DC of 16+INT bonus, or he might augment it by +4pp and empower it for +2pp so that it does 9d6*1.5 with a DC of 14+INT bonus. Either way he can't spend more than 9pp.

(there are feats that start making exceptions, this is just the basics)

psionic characters can make a DC20 concentration check to get psionic focus. This focus can be expended to enable a number of psionic feats... it helps provide a balancing factor for what would otherwise be too good as feats.

---------

For a PC, there are a lot more "run time" options that can be selected when manifesting a power - they are more flexible than any other caster type and some players might not be able to handle this well (the ditherer type).

For a DM it is worth noting that a fully buffed psion or psywar is pretty fearsome... and like wizards and clerics they will quickly dominate if there is only one big encounter each day. Lots of little encounters that force them to husband their pp's make for more balanced adventures.

----

Does that help any?

Votan

Explorer
Darklone said:
They are broooooken :D

I would be extremely hesitant to agree so long as you use magic-psionics transparency (so that psions and arcane casters can neutralize each other). I used to hate psionics but the 3.5 handbook is kinda turning me around somewhat towardsthis si balanced. They are a lot more flexible than an arcane caster but they also use a lot of psionic power to purchase this flexibility.

Looking at how they have been working so far, it is my supposition that they will create some more flexible casters. This is mostly to the good. There is little that a psion can do that other mages can't do as well.

I am a little more mixed about a couple of the races in the book (Elan). But not exceptionally so.

Remove ads