temporary hit points question

Voadam

Legend
I can't find the 3.5 srd reference on how exactly temporary hit points work.

If you are wounded do they heal you or only give you hp for an hour that are used up first? Where can you find this defined in the srd?

Thanks.

The Souljourner

First Post
Temporary hitpoints are added to your normal hitpoints. if you take damage, the damage comes from your temporary hitpoints first, until you run out of temporary, then the damage is applies to your normal hitpoints.

So if you have 100 hitpoints and 20 temporary, and take 6 damage, you'll be at 100 regular and 14 temporary. If you then take 15 damage, you'll be down to 99 regular hitpoints, and no temporary hitpoints left.

Once temporary hitpoints are gone, you can't heal them back.

If you gained 20 temporary hitpoints while you were at 37 out of 100 hitpoints, you'd then be at 57 out of 120 hitpoints. So, no, they don't actually heal anything.

-The Souljourner

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Voadam said:

If you are wounded do they heal you or only give you hp for an hour that are used up first? Where can you find this defined in the srd?

Thanks.

If you get X temporary HP, both your current HP and your maximum HP increase by X.

If you get damage during this time, it decreases your current HP as normal, and the temporary points are lost "first".

If you are healed during this time, current HP increases as normal, but the temporary points are healed "last". [This part may be subject to interpretation, however I think this way is more favorable]

Once the duration of those temporary HP expires, your current HP decrease by the amount of temporary HP left if any, and your maximum HP decrease by X.

edit: also the part about max HP may be subject to interpretation

Last edited:

mikebr99

Explorer
Voadam said:

Thanks.
Try phb., P:146.

"When a character gains temp hps, note his current hp total. When temp hps go away, character's hps drop to his current hp total. If the character's hps are below his current total at the time, all temp hps are already gone & the character's hp total does not drop further."

Mike

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases