Which is better, Enchanter or a Telepath?

Which is better/more fun to play?

• Enchanter (Wizard)

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • Telepath (Psion)

Votes: 34 52.3%

Psyduck

First Post
Roland Delacroix said:
You need to specify a few things. If just using the PsiHB, Enchanter. If using Monte Cooks If Thoughts Could Kill, either but I like telepaths.

When did this come out? I must have totally missed it..

Victim

First Post
Even if just using the PsiHB, the telepath is actually better at mindbending stuff, especially if you're not using T&B. He gets the good powers at lower levels, has better skills, has more subtle powers, and can get greater focus straight out his book - Greater Focus is big advantage and if you might not be using T&B, psions can have a better DC.

However, a straight PsiHB telepath will have little versatility. An enchanter can still do almost everything a straight wizard can. If you don't have a normal caster to handle the typical wizard stuff, an enchanter will probably be a better choice.

Tell me about it. In my experience Telepaths either break a game or suck. Get into the right NPCs head and the party will instantly solve any game. That or flood it with Undead, Constructs, Plants, etc and the Telepath will suck yarballs. Played a Telepath for a while, hated it.

Michael Tree

First Post
Many of the answers to this question depend on what you consider to be "better".

Telepaths are beter at mindbending, as victim pointed out, but enchanters have more spells/day and the same diversity of power as wizards.

I prefer telepaths though. There are many awesome telepathic powers that don't have magic equivalents, such as mind switch and mass domination, to say nothing of the other new cool powers from ITCK and the Wizards website.

Telepaths also have the advantage of being able to metamorphosis into anything (if they have that power), and still use all their powers, a tremendous advantage. The high level psicrystal ability "channel power" is also enormously useful to telepaths, allowing the telepath to stealthily charm and dominate others from up to a mile away.

Another consideration for your poll is the level of the character. Low level psions stink even more than low level wizards, and don't really come into their own until 6th level or higher. A high level telepath is a truly horrific being, able to dominate almost entire armies, and gather information (and even assassinate) almost effortlessly, through use of mind switch and probe.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Enchanters cause even if Take out Conjuration, I STILL cast the biggies, fireball, lighting bolt and so on. Telepaths can only control things. Not to mention I have access to MORE stuff since I generally allow T&B, Magic of Faerun, Relics and Rituals (LOVE Render Soverign Soul!) and of course upcoming release of Relics and Rituals 2! :)

Michael Tree

First Post
Roland Delacroix said:
Tell me about it. In my experience Telepaths either break a game or suck. Get into the right NPCs head and the party will instantly solve any game. That or flood it with Undead, Constructs, Plants, etc and the Telepath will suck yarballs. Played a Telepath for a while, hated it.
Telepaths, more than any other psion subtype or core class, need a secondary discipline to fall back on. Otherwise they become almost useless against undead, constructs, plants, oozes, and vermind.

I've played a higher level telepath (ITCK variant) who was far from useless against those creatures. Thanks to the the metabolic powers of Metamorphosis, Haste, Intertial Barrier, and Tenser's Transformation (which doesn't cost psions any XP or money), and the fact that psions can wear armor, my telepath just manifested Haste and Tenser's (renamed 'Unleash Aggression) and waded into battle in the form of a hag or stone giant.

Remove ads