I've Got Lone Wolf!

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Like it says. Got my copy this afternoon. Haven't really looked at it closely yet, but all seems fine. Nice binding (so far, anyway - did Mongoose change who does the binding as well?), and, since I know this'll come up, the editing does seem to be much better. I noticed no real glaring errors other than one or two really minor spelling errors on the map. Speaking of the map - it's really, really nice.

Any questions? Ask away.

Last edited:

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Andrew D. Gable said:
Any questions? Ask away.

OK, why's the sky blue?
Where do babies come from...

Oh, you meant about Lone Wolf. :p

Are the powers/disciplines similar to the old books? How's the book convey that "Lone Wolf flavor"? :)

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Andrew D. Gable said:
I've Got Lone Wolf!

They make a cream for that, clears it right up.
I haven't seen the book yet, but the map does look really nice. If I hadn't dropped all of my dough on a digital camera...

I still have my old Lone Wolf paperbacks. :)

Tharen the Damned

First Post
The classes

From the previews I know that there is the Kai Lord and the Magician of Dessi.
What other "Core" Classes are there?

What about the magic system?
Are there "normal" D20 Spells or are there only Spell like Abilites like the Dessi have?

What PC Races are in the Book?
And how are they different from normal D20 Races?

How many pages is the book? How many of those pages are devoted to the 'combat' chapter?

Roughly how many monsters are statted in the book? - don't need an exact count, but something like '20 or so' or 'hundreds' (wishful thinking)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
MrFilthyIke said:
Are the powers/disciplines similar to the old books? How's the book convey that "Lone Wolf flavor"? :)

Yes, very similar. Nearly every class gets abilities like that, either upgradable like the Kai's or optional. Either way, there's a lot of leeway in the character department.

Lone Wolf flavor - just about everything it can do. Hit points are renamed Endurance, base attack is Combat Skill, and mages have Willpower. Headers and things are in the same font as the gamebooks. It even has a Random Number Table numbered 1-20. ;)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Tharen the Damned said:
From the previews I know that there is the Kai Lord and the Magician of Dessi.
What other "Core" Classes are there?

Brother of the Crystal Star
Dwarven Gunner of Bor
Shadaki Buccaneer
Sommerlund Knight of the Realm
Telchos Warrior

Southern Magnamund gets two nods in the class section. None for Grey Star, but the Dessi's pretty close.

What about the magic system?
Are there "normal" D20 Spells or are there only Spell like Abilites like the Dessi have?

Like the Dessi mages, more or less.

What PC Races are in the Book?
And how are they different from normal D20 Races?

Five races: human, dwarf, Dessi, giak, and darkspawn. It notes, though, that giaks and darkspawn usually aren't PCs. Dessi have lifespans similar to half-elves. There's also a lot of creatures that can take class levels.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
How many pages is the book? How many of those pages are devoted to the 'combat' chapter?

Roughly how many monsters are statted in the book? - don't need an exact count, but something like '20 or so' or 'hundreds' (wishful thinking)

304 pages, 21 page combat.

Plenty of creatures. I'd say at least 40, not counting the mundane animals. Some surprises, like the Cabalah and the Plaghatar. And yes, the Najin (those flying monkeys in Grey Star)! ;)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
The short version:
Paladin/ranger/psychic warrior type, sole survivor of his order, embarks on a mission to avenge the deaths by killing the Darklord who ordered the attack. Later, he gets drawn into a massive war for the domination of the world and makes it his new mission to improve his own powers and meet the Darklords in a final showdown. Thereafter, he rebuilds the monastery of his order and becomes its new leader.

The RPG is set 50 years before the books, though. The books had a well-detailed world.

Remove ads