Vin Desiel almost got Judi Dench to roll dice LOL!
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46
  1. #1

    Vin Desiel almost got Judi Dench to roll dice LOL!

    On Scifiwire, a story gets into how Vin used his producer status on the "Riddick" film to get Judi Dench cast in the movie, among mentioning that he was amazed at how fantasy-focused Dench was in real life, the article dredges up his DnD angle and how he would have loved to have Dench tossing dice at the table.

    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m.../26/14.30.film

    Though if you ask me, Vin only plays up his DnD angle to get more people to his films.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Ether
    Though if you ask me, Vin only plays up his DnD angle to get more people to his films.
    Because you can't make it in Hollywood these days without reaching out to the RPG crowd?

    It's a good way for him to present himself as complicated and multifaceted. You don't expect a guy like Vin to be a D&D player.

    Conan O'Brien, yes. Wil Wheaton, hell yes. But not Vin.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Ether
    Though if you ask me, Vin only plays up his DnD angle to get more people to his films.
    Yeah, I hate those throngs of Hollywood scenesters that are always showing up at RPG cons.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL
    Because you can't make it in Hollywood these days without reaching out to the RPG crowd?

    It's a good way for him to present himself as complicated and multifaceted. You don't expect a guy like Vin to be a D&D player.

    Conan O'Brien, yes. Wil Wheaton, hell yes. But not Vin.
    Whether its $15 million or $15.5 million, getting an extra half a million in ticket sales on opening weekend is never bad, especially when all you have to say is "uh, yeah, I still play DnD." Probably the easiest crowd he has to play to. "I am one of you and I am produing a SF movie" SOLD!

    Besides your thinking about only about the number of table top gamers, that's not what the entertainment industry thinks about when you say "DnD."

    These days when the guys in the board room think DnD, they think Balders Gate, not dice. Just like Marvel comics is tax break for Marvel Entertainment, which pitches the I.P. to movies, WotC is merely a I.P. place holder for Hasbro's (really now Infrogames) video game I.P.s

    Hell, the main reason WotC has a new setting coming out is because Hasbro owns the digital rights to Forgotten Realms, and WotC wants their big piece of that video game pie.

    Don't forget that while you chuck dice at the table, there are people now calling themselves "roleplayers" Everquest that have never touched a die (I used to date such a girl and we had fun teasing each other on the real definition of being a gamer.)

    And Hollywood sees big bucks in console/PC games. In fact, that they blame lower ticket sales on the video game market.

    Better yet, anyone been to both E3 AND GenCon? Could someone tell us which is bigger?

    Wake up call! we aren't the parent market, we are just a tax break and I.P protection for the real cash cow.
    Last edited by Von Ether; Wednesday, 26th May, 2004 at 07:30 PM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

    Hand of Evil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Cookie Jar
    Posts
    14,387
    Reviews
    Read 13 Reviews
    13th AgeZEITGEISTGen ConENniesO.G.R.E.I Defended The Walls!

    Block Hand of Evil


    Friend+
    I am just glad he has come out and says he is playing, not that they use to play...

  6. #6
    Potassium-Rich Moderator
    Hydra (Lvl 25)

    I'm A Banana's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    15,847
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

    Block I'm A Banana


    Friend+
    'Cept Vin's been saying it for a while; even has a tatoo of his character's name...

    I don't understand the doubt directed at him for this. The man's coming out to admit he plays D&D, he's 'coolifying' the game, he should be welcomed into the fold.
    [RIGHT]Jacob J. Driscoll
    [B][I]Astral Plane Campaign[/I][/B]: Take [URL="http://www.dmsguild.com/product/193314/Hereos-of-the-Eternal-Classes-of-the-Astral-Plane"]your heroes[/URL] and [URL="http://www.dmsguild.com/product/190331/People-of-the-Eternal-Races-of-the-Astral-Plane"]your people[/URL] and come to [URL="http://www.dmsguild.com/product/198238/The-Athar-Citadel"][B]The Athar Citadel[/B][/URL], where those who reject the gods learn to wield divine magic!
    [/RIGHT]

  7. #7
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

    Hand of Evil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Cookie Jar
    Posts
    14,387
    Reviews
    Read 13 Reviews
    13th AgeZEITGEISTGen ConENniesO.G.R.E.I Defended The Walls!

    Block Hand of Evil


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Ether
    Better yet, anyone been to both E3 AND GenCon? Could someone tell us which is bigger?
    In 2004, the E3Expo celebrated its 10th anniversary, and hosted more than 400 exhibitors in 540,000 net square feet of exhibit space -- a total sell-out for the show. Sixty-five thousand industry professionals from 87 countries around the globe gathered at the Los Angeles Convention Center (LACC) for the four-day interactive entertainment trade show.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Ether
    And Hollywood sees big bucks in console/PC games. In fact, that they blame lower ticket sales on the video game market.
    When we all know recycled crap is the real problem.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Darklone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    11,445
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Darklone


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSnowman
    When we all know recycled crap is the real problem.
    We know. Who else? Who asks customers these days ?

  10. #10
    Member
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Asmor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Revere, MA
    Posts
    4,590
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Block Asmor


    Friend+
    Wait, Vin Diesel plays D&D?!?

    I was gonna see the new movie anyways because I loved pitch black and I think Vin Diesel kicks ass. That he plays D&D is just icing on the cake!

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Vin Diesel, Dame Judi Dench, and D&D [MINOR riddick spoilers]
    By reddist in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Friday, 28th May, 2004, 06:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •