Problems with older edition adventures in 3.5E?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I was looking through some of my older (A)D&D stuff, and idly pondering how easy or hard it would be to convert and run some of these in 3.5E. As I did so, I noticed that several of the old adventures contained tactics by NPCs that wouldn't work in the new edition of the game; some of these being integral tactics to the adventure.

For example, in the beginning of Vecna Lives!, the character that kills the Circle uses a technique that wouldn't be at all effective in 3.5E, thanks to revisions to spells (I won't be more specific in case that'd spoil anyone's game). What instances have you noticed where updating an old product causes problems like this? How did you handle them?

OhRats

First Post
Alzrius said:
I was looking through some of my older (A)D&D stuff, and idly pondering how easy or hard it would be to convert and run some of these in 3.5E. As I did so, I noticed that several of the old adventures contained tactics by NPCs that wouldn't work in the new edition of the game; some of these being integral tactics to the adventure.

For example, in the beginning of Vecna Lives!, the character that kills the Circle uses a technique that wouldn't be at all effective in 3.5E, thanks to revisions to spells (I won't be more specific in case that'd spoil anyone's game). What instances have you noticed where updating an old product causes problems like this? How did you handle them?

I usually don't worry so much about having to make changes to make the adventure fit into 3.5. I the tactics listed won't work, or if I don't like them I will change them. Likewise character classes for npcs that no longer exist. The idea is to have an adventure you have fun running, and your players enjoy. Hope that helps.

Crothian

First Post
I don't worry about it at all. While that particuliar tactic might not work, there are plenty of others within the rules of 3.5 (or better yet that I make up) that actually work just as well if not better.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Alzrius said:
For example, in the beginning of Vecna Lives!, the character that kills the Circle uses a technique that wouldn't be at all effective in 3.5E, thanks to revisions to spells

It wasn't that effective in 2E, either. The beginning of Vecna Lives is DM Fiat, nothing else - it's blatant disregarding of the rules for dramatic effect.

You might want to find another example. :)

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
DonaldRumsfeldsTofu said:
I'm curious as to what the example is, I need a better idea of what you're talking about.

Here's the example. Spoiler-text ON!

"Vecna" casts Time Stop and proceeds to kill the Circle of Eight. He does this by breaking their necks... admittedly with the Hand of Vecna, but anyway.

Here's a quote from the text: "You must control the upcoming battle, since you want the player characters to lose. On the first round, Vecna/Haldamar wins the initiative. (If you must, you can justify this because of Vecna/Haldamar's foresight and his innate spellcasting ability, both of which give him the edge in this battle. If he loses the initiative for any reason, remember that his 70% magic resistance will shield him from the PCs' attacks. (It is strongly recommended that you secretly roll the dice and then announce the attack had no effect.)

Want railroading? The beginning of Vecna Lives! is the most railroaded encounter in the history of D&D.

Cheers!

Thotas

First Post
The end of the third Slave-Lords adventure is a railroader, too ... if it doesn't end a certain way, you don't go to the 4th one.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Crothian said:
And there's nothing wrong with that to promote the story.
I disagree. If I want a story where I have no influence over the outcome, I'll go read a book or watch a movie.

Part of the appeal of RPGs is that players have the ability to change the outcome of events. If the DM starts forcing PCs along certain paths without them being able to influence events at all, then the players become little more than glorified spectators.

Remove ads