Cut-scenes?

dreaded_beast

First Post
As a DM, I've started using cut-scenes.

Cut-scenes are description of events that the PCs are not aware of, but the players are. For instance, while the PCs are exploring an ancient tomb, I cut to scene of an evil sorcerer scrying them through a large mirror.

What are your opinions of cut-scenes? Do your players like or dislike them?

One player in my group is still on the fence as to whether or not she likes them.

mac1504

Explorer
I believe the old West End Games' Star Wars RPG modules used to use cut-scenes. I always thought they added a nice cinema-like effect.

I guess it really depends on whether your players are adept at non-metagaming or not.

Last edited:

I occassionally use them, they really help since the players rarely get to know any villian beyond one encounter and that one will involve mostly fighting. One bit of advice is to make sure you detail the cut-scene before hand. When I've done a cut-scene without any detail(just winging it), it didn't have nearly the same affect and I'll always forget to have the person say something.

This is a great DM device, one that I'm hoping to use more.

random user

First Post
I don't like cut scenes that give the party information they wouldn't otherwise know.

Like in the example above, either the player has to expressly not meta-game and know they are being scryed on, or he has to feel guilty when he decides that his character would have figured out that he was being scryed upon.

In essence, giving them information they don't know, regardless of how well they don't metagame, makes them question themselves when they do decide that their characters figure it out on their own.

Other types of cut scenes, like something they will hear about in gossip the next day, or in the presence of the party, are fine though.

All just IMHO of course.

Sunglar

Explorer
Dreaded Beast… I personally LOVE Cut Scenes, we used to call them cutaways. I got the idea form the first edition SW game form West End Games. My players were of different opinion, the majority loved it, a couple did not care either way and I had one hard-core hater. He would step out of the room when I would start describing one of the cut scenes.

In my two long running 2nd Ed Campaigns, which lasted eight years, I used cut scenes heavily and it made it very cinematic and epic. The cut scenes would either be narrated during the game or written up in short pieces I would hand out before the game.

When I started my 3rd Ed game I decided to try my hand at something different, realizing the cut-scene had become sort of a crutch to move the plot so I decided to run a NO cut scene campaign. I managed to do so with great success it helped set the mood of the campaign apart.

These days, while running the second 3rd Ed campaign I’ve only used one cut scene for a major revelation of the Meta plot that DID not directly affect the PCs. Some of the info I would divulge in cut scenes I’ve integrated into rumors and short stories in the campaign newsletter.

If you ask me cut scenes can be great and fun if done correctly and planned. Don’t give in to the temptation of the cut scene merely replacing the villain’s speech before the final confrontation. Talk of another cliché to avoid…

Take care all,

Sunglar

Chroma

Explorer
I love the concept of cutscenes! Particularly when they detail events that are important, but far enough away that the PCs can't just rush off and change things. Lets the players know interesting stuff is going on... I mean, I have so many ideas, plots, and goings-on going on it's a shame not to share! *laugh*

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
They're graet, but it takes a party that can handle them. I know at least one of my group would tweak out and meta-game it while trying to rationalize the metagaming, and it would affect even those who are better about such things.

"I don't know he's scrying, but my character would *always* do that, just in case someone was scrying."

ltclnlbrain

First Post
I have used cut-scenes often on my play-by-post games, and my players love them. It lets them know there is more going on in the world than just them kicking down doors, fighting monsters, and getting treasure. It also lets me develop the personality and interactions of villains and other NPCs when they are "off-screen," so to speak, so that they are more fully realized individuals.

Since I use the cut-scenes on play-by-post games, I have plenty of time to plan them out and give away hints of information without spoiling things for the players. They are mature enough not to use the information in metagame situations, as well.

ergeheilalt

First Post
I DMed a game where I had to hand the reigns over to the other DM so that the characters would continue. Since they failed their quest (which I was fairly sure they would do about two sessions before the big finale), I used a big cut scene to describe what happened as this earth shattering cataclysm rocked the world to it's very foundation...

If your interested, here were the cut scenes all condensed - these happened within 24 hours of the "ending" and traced through the campaign, stopping every where the party went to and touched on people the party had met.

Erge

Ruavel

First Post
I've started to try to incorporate the occasional cut scene...

I try to limit them to situation which don't give vital information to the players, but rather something to help set the mood for events to come...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases