Opinions: What makes a good adventure?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
What is it that makes a good adventure? What makes it fun and interesting? What keeps you coming back to the game table again and again? I'd also like for people to preface their comments by suggesting whether they believe they speak primarily from a Player or DM point of view (or both equally), as that can certainly make a big difference...

Thanks in advance for any comments! :)

The Sunderer

First Post
Blimey this is a difficult one...

(thinks)

(thinks some more)

I think that a good DM can make even the worst scenario a good experience... Of course Players are important too and I have a player response to a scenario raise it above the bar as well...

Cloudgatherer

First Post
An interesting plot/story line, a dilemma, and "winning" in the end make an adventure worth while! I'll also add creativity, as it is possibly one of the hardest things to do as a DM/GM, create an original plot line that keeps the players interested and saying "what happens next?"

Lidda

First Post
Treasure!

More treasure!

A lot of sneaking around, and hiding is good too!

And some combat to heighten the drama. But only when it is something that has junk to kick. Undead, constructs and creatures with no discernable anatomy have no junk to kick and so do not make for good combat encounters.

And, of course, after the combat is done, there must be wallets to steal, with more treasure!!!

Maudlin

First Post
Interactivity, I think. You can have the bestest dungeons and the most eeevil villains all you want, if the adventure is just one thing strung onto the end of the previous thing, people will leave to go play BG2.

Oh, and comprehensiveness. If something is plausible for the players to do, at least the attempt should be allowed. If a DM sins against this I usually go kick against a wall and ask if the facade falls over :)

I guess this is from a player's perspective, although I don't think there is much difference. (I usually DM, but I enjoy DMing what the players enjoy playing)

Oh, wait, and lots of XP :D

Urbanmech

Explorer
Interesting encounters, either unique locations or making rare (as in little used) monsters the focus. Also an adventure should have a few different ways to reach the end goals. Players usually chafe when they feel railroaded.

Templates and advanced monsters can make for very interesting encounter opponents that we never really saw in previous versions of the game. They can make for tough and unpredictable foes.

Just my 2 copper.

Grim

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
Piles of dead bad guys. (TM)

I second that... and with some treasure too!!!

on a diffent note...

these boards are so quiet... only 130 or so people posting... wow... its kind of cool... like im part of some special fellowship or something... like a CULT!!!

The Sunderer

First Post
on a diffent note...

these boards are so quiet... only 130 or so people posting... wow... its kind of cool... like im part of some special fellowship or something... like a CULT!!!

I wouldn't worry, the hordes will descend on us soon :)

Old One

First Post
I will answer as a DM and as a Player...

DM's Perspective

First off, I very rarely use modules/adventures "off the rack". I have found, over the years, that it takes me just as much time to modify a module - because I like to tinker with everyting - as it does to make my own. That said, here are the things I would look for:
  • Detachable maps and handouts - I hate having to flip back and forth or photocopy a map for use in an adventure:mad:!
  • Stats in the body of the adventure
  • Timeline - I prefer a matrix-type adventure flow, as opposed to a linear approach. A timeline and a couple of "if-then" contingencies are always nice
  • Twists - a couple of good twists are always fun

Player's Perspective

When I play, which is all too infrequently, I look for the following:
  • Consistency
  • Variety of challenges - straight-up combat is fun, but I like adventures that combine intrigue, combat, puzzules and twists in equal doses
  • Matrix Structure - I really dislike one-dimensional, linear adventures. It should be about choices and consequences.

My two coppers!

Old One

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases