(Adventure) Pest removal at unusual height and depth




+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 268
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Kahuna Burger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    4,884

    ° Ignore Kahuna Burger

    (Adventure) Pest removal at unusual height and depth

    When you reach the site of the future temple, the activity level is quite strange. A large group of builders, supervisors and architects is pretty much hanging about, seemingly with nothing to do, in spite of the fact that the cornerstones stand waiting to go in. Some have formed small work groups who seem to be doing peicework to be added later - a doorway arch here, measurement and polishing of floor tiles there. But something has stopped construction even as it was supposed to begin, and it seems no one has quite decided what to do about it. The most active people are a group of clerics, who are busily pacing off a perimeter around the foundation hole and kneeling to place small objects and pray over them.

    As you enter the site a young man in ceromonial armor, flanked by two shaven headed youths in simple clothes, approaches you. "I'm sorry, this is a sacred site." He says politely. "If you have business here, please state it, and then I must ask your leave to seek Hyrag's approval of you."

    (if everyone checks in and agrees to this approval, we can get started)
    Last edited by Creamsteak; Wednesday, 16th June, 2004 at 04:35 AM.
    I understand, comprehend, get, grok, and see your point. I can take, handle, cope and deal with the way you run your game. The reasons I disagree with you and/or dislike your playstyle preference lie elsewhereů

 

  • #2
    Reilin walks up to the strange scene, noting the general lack of activity. He addresses the followers of Hyrag. "I came here from the Red Dragon Inn... I heard there was some problem with the construction. I'm also a cleric of Hyrag, and I'm here to help in whatever way I can. I believe there are more coming shortly. I was told to request the attention of His Grace Leonard?" Reilin fidgets nervously while he waits for the others to arrive.

  • #3
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Fangor the Fierce's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,230

    ° Ignore Fangor the Fierce
    Shadowlyn follows closely behind Reilin and hears his introduction to the 'guards'. "As stated, we are here from the Inn, and come to help in this situation. I am here with my companion Shilo, and are here to lend our scouting skills to this cause."

  • #4
    "I am Mintrik, a wizard. I am here to help as well. My friend Loskrad, a warrior, will be here shortly as well."

  • #5
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Other Guy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA, New York
    Posts
    261

    ° Ignore Other Guy
    "I've arrived," Loskrad says, entering the scene shortly after Mintrik. "My name is Loskrad Avalin and I am here to give my friend what help I can."
    -Other Guy-

    (Player) Swashbucklers of the Sword Coast: Velerel Part 1

    (Player) Of Sound Mind: Jason Master Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

    (Player) Living EN World: Loskrad Avalin

  • #6
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Pbartender's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    The Suburban Frontier of Chicago
    Posts
    6,364

    ° Ignore Pbartender
    An innocous halfling in the back rounds out the group. "Beggin' your pardon, sir," he tells the guard, "a feller at the Inn was inquirin' for exterminators. He said to come 'round here, if you please."
    The Pbartender

  • #7
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Kahuna Burger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    4,884

    ° Ignore Kahuna Burger
    The young man smiles and nods. "Yes, his grace said some people would be along. He hasn't returned from his other errands, but I can give you some refreshments. If you would wait just a moment for the approval of Hyrag." He closes his eyes and bows his head a moment as if in prayer, then looks again at the group with a strange intensity. After a moment, he nods and smiles. "Thank you, it is just that we must be especially wary during this time before the consecration."

    (will continue after nap and headache subsides)
    I understand, comprehend, get, grok, and see your point. I can take, handle, cope and deal with the way you run your game. The reasons I disagree with you and/or dislike your playstyle preference lie elsewhereů

  • #8
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Kahuna Burger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    4,884

    ° Ignore Kahuna Burger
    The three gaurds lead you to an area sheilded from the sun by a small canopy. There is a table with several bottles of what turn out to be fruit juice and some light bread and cheeses. "We aren't really equiped for guests with all the construction," the armored man says appologeticly "But this is where his grace and the senior architects meet, so its as comfortable as we can make you. Things are a little odd today, they were supposed to consecrate the site and lay the cornerstones, but there was some problem, and his grace has been... well, its not my place to tell tales." He bows akwardly and departs.

    One of the bald youths mimics his stiff tone "Not my place... my place is much better than that..." The other, a girl, tries to give him a stern look but ends up giggling.

    "It might be a while" she comments, "Leo had to go to the city council after the inn, and he'll probably end up getting in a fight with them. He gets in a foul temper when he has to clean up someone else's mess... We can nab you some wine if it would make you more comfortable."
    I understand, comprehend, get, grok, and see your point. I can take, handle, cope and deal with the way you run your game. The reasons I disagree with you and/or dislike your playstyle preference lie elsewhereů

  • #9
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Pbartender's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    The Suburban Frontier of Chicago
    Posts
    6,364

    ° Ignore Pbartender
    "Aye Miss," Jack replies, "That'd be most hospitable, to be sure."

    "Fixin' another's problem," he wheedles the girl, "that's a right rum go, says I, and I sympathize heartily, I do. For certain, there's nothing worse than havin' to clean up after some cully who hasn't the wits of a ninny goat.

    "Poor Mister Leo, eh? My heart goes out to him, it does. Fortunately, he's got the likes of us to give him an hand or two, with whatever's lurkin' down that there hole..."

  • #10
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Pbartender's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    The Suburban Frontier of Chicago
    Posts
    6,364

    ° Ignore Pbartender
    Jack sits down on a handy bit of nearby masonry and waits...

  • #11
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Other Guy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA, New York
    Posts
    261

    ° Ignore Other Guy
    Loskrad laughs with the youths, relieved to see people joking here. ôAh, free food!ö he exclaims, hurrying over to the table of fruit juices, cheese, and bread. ôThanks.ö
    -Other Guy-

    (Player) Swashbucklers of the Sword Coast: Velerel Part 1

    (Player) Of Sound Mind: Jason Master Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

    (Player) Living EN World: Loskrad Avalin

  • #12
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Fangor the Fierce's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,230

    ° Ignore Fangor the Fierce
    Shadowlyn lets the others talk for the time being, scanning the area for anything noticeable. She gets a piece of bread and breaks off a piece to feed to Shilo.

  • #13
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Pbartender's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    The Suburban Frontier of Chicago
    Posts
    6,364

    ° Ignore Pbartender
    Yawning, Jack lays back and streches out on the warm stone, half dozing in the morning sunshine. He idly considers his new companions.

    ~There's that great hulkin' fellow with the two-stride-long butcher knife. He certainly looks like he can be takin' care of himself,~ he thinks to himself. ~And that scrawny wizard with the elfish hair should be alright, so long as he's stayin' behind that cove with the pig-sticker.~

    ~Dunno what to make of that sun-priest. Sent by Mister Leo, I'd wager, and certain to be keepin' an eye on the rest of us, says I.~

    ~I wonder if that halfling bugger's a relation? He's a sneak-theif, by gum, and that's for sure. 'Shadowlyn Darkfoot'... Sounds like somethin' out of the fairy stories old Gammer used tell. Hrm... Maybe from of dear old Mum's side of the family, rest her soul. They always did have a hankerin' for fanciful monikers. Not a right proper halfling name amongst the lot of them.~

    ~A mighty handsome puppy dog, that is.~ Jack opens one eye, and looks toward the dog, until Shilo has his undivided attention. He surrepticiously slips a bit of buccaned meat out of his pocket, and drops it to the ground nearby. Giving the dog a sly wink, he recommences dozing.

  • #14
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Pbartender's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    The Suburban Frontier of Chicago
    Posts
    6,364

    ° Ignore Pbartender
    Jack, bored with sitting around watching a bunch of priests watch an empty hole in the ground, wonders just how long a city council meeting can take and where that girl with the wine ran off to.

    He considers heading back to the Red Dragon... maybe one of those other job offers is still hanging around. If nothing else, he can always get a drink there while he's waiting.

    He sits up, and hops off his stone. "Be right back, mates," he tells the others. He gives Shilo a quick scratch behind the ears and trots off back toward the Inn.
    The Pbartender

  • #15
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Kahuna Burger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    4,884

    ° Ignore Kahuna Burger
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbartender
    He sits up, and hops off his stone. "Be right back, mates," he tells the others. He gives Shilo a quick scratch behind the ears and trots off back toward the Inn.
    ooc: ah, cut me some slack shorty, life has a way of happening.

    The bald girl comes back with not only a decanter of wine, but some hot meat rolls, and looks about the group in mild confusion. "Sorry, I had to dodge Mr. Uptight. Leo's still not around, he's probably getting sidetracked on that old zoning issue before the council will help him with this mess-"

    "Yes, dear, thats fairly accurate." says a familiar man stepping under the pavillion. He looks less pompous than this morning, as if his burdens have taken him past self righteous, all the way out the other side to contemplative. "And it should be noted that some temple dedicates actuall refer to me as His Grace Leonard." The girl jumps a little but recovers quickly and gives him a flourishing and sarcastic obsequience before scurrying off.

    Sighing, his grace sits at the table and pours a small glass of the newfound wine before cutting it with fruit juice. "I will explain the situation as clearly and briefly as possible. Many of you are new or transient to our fine city, so there is some history you will be unaware of. In past generations, certain engineering minded folks in power decided that Orurrus needed a disposal system for waste and water, and the draining of the streets after the rain - a set of sewers, in other words. After a convinient city wide disaster made a great deal of rebuilding neccassary anyway, such a system was built, with access tunnels, canals to carry water, all the wonderful things the engineers could envision. Sadly, they did not envision the non sanitation related consequences of running miles of large walkways connecting every part of our sity under the cover of earth and darkness, and it took less than a generation for the sewers to become the home of criminal activities, vermin both large and small and some less pleasant squatters. After the incident with the ocre jelly and the new toilet system at the city council building, the system was sealed off completely from both the surface and its drains to the harbor, and has caused only a few problems since when foolish builders don't properly consider its integrety in their building plans. Or when new high priests from out of town don't listen to the local concerns when building a fantastic new temple."

    He sighs and takes another drink. Gesturing around at the bored workers he goes on. "This morning was meant to be the consecration of the site and laying of the cornerstones, followed by a tasteful celebration and a lot of backbreaking work. Unfortunately, a consecration of this significance can take place only on a site which is already devoid of evil. The workers and architects have been subjected to approval by the paladins every day, the preists have been working near constant minor consecrations, in any other area, it would be ready. But the priests involved have been from out of town, and the architects worry only for the structural integrety of the sewer system, not its moral impact. A few dozen feet or less below the area His Grace Randolf tried to consecrate this morning is a nest of minor undead, oozing abominations and who knows what else that has adapted itself to a mostly closed environment of darkness and damp for several decades!" He refills his glass only from the wine this time and takes a long drink. After regaining his composure, he places a bag on the table and removes several items - three magical wands, and a small round stone with a glowing mark on one edge, plus four torches which apear to already be on fire. "After some argument with the council, I have been allowed to open one of the locks to the system at the old docks. It was installed as a lock rather than a seal in case of emergency or if severe flooding swelled the system dangerously. I could not convince them to let you enter the system here, more's the pity. You will have to enter there and find your way underground to the area under this temple. The light on this stone always points to the hub of the world and should aid you. The sewers are entirely stonework, luckily, so any with the use of arcane magic amoung you will be able to use this," he pushes forward one of the wands, which has a pattern of stone shaped into it, "to seal off the system entirely around the consecrated area. You must then destroy every bit of natural or supernatural vermin which infests that specific area. You, young cleric, will likely have need of this," He hands another of the wands, apparently of curing, to Reilin, "To aid your companions and do some additional damage to any undead you encounter. I've also gathered a few torches that won't go out in the damp, and this final wand will, well, help you all fit." He grins a little. "The system was orriginally built and maintained by the gnomes who largely dominated the engineering guilds of the city at that time, and while some areas are up to six or seven feet high, most of the access trunnels are planned for those of a smaller stature."

    Getting up and stretching, he looks out from under the pavillion and smiles. "And it looks like the final bit of preparation is finally done." Following his gaze, you see that all around the construction site, where the preists had been kneeling and praying, a wall of light has sprung up, red in color. "The red means it encompases an unclean area. Seal the tunnels just over this curtain or outside of it. When the area is fully sealed and devoid of evil, the curtain will turn gold and it will be our signal and yours that your work is done. At that point we will be able to breach the sewers safely from here and you can exit from inside the purged area rather than treeking out again."

    "So, do you have any questions?"
    I understand, comprehend, get, grok, and see your point. I can take, handle, cope and deal with the way you run your game. The reasons I disagree with you and/or dislike your playstyle preference lie elsewhereů

  • #16
    Reilin nods graciously as he takes the wand, trying to determine its specific power from what he knows of magic and magical instruments. His new toy makes his eyes light up a little. "One of our companions has departed momentarily... I think he'll be back soon. I am curious about this stone... is it to guide our path directly, or merely to serve as a point of reference? In either case, I am ready to serve."

    (OOC: Basically, I want to know if the stone points north, or points to the place we're headed, or neither... that hub of the world comment confused me.)

  • #17
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Kahuna Burger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    4,884

    ° Ignore Kahuna Burger
    Quote Originally Posted by Torlax
    (OOC: Basically, I want to know if the stone points north, or points to the place we're headed, or neither... that hub of the world comment confused me.)
    ooc: officially Enworld is a disk on the back of an elephant/turtle, etc. while we've all been using the usual direction, I was inspired to a bit of disk flavor and the pratchet novel's directional terms (hubward, rimward, turnwise and windershins). consider it a compass that points north.
    I understand, comprehend, get, grok, and see your point. I can take, handle, cope and deal with the way you run your game. The reasons I disagree with you and/or dislike your playstyle preference lie elsewhereů

  • #18
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Fangor the Fierce's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,230

    ° Ignore Fangor the Fierce
    Shadowlyn listens to the man's story, looking over at the wands and the blue stone. "Well, Undead are a nasty bunch to deal with. But if we must, then so be it. How far is this entrance from this location? I would like to know about the canals and sewers a but more. Were there any 'safety' devices put in place, from its designers?" Shadowlyn is hinting at any traps that they should be on the look out for.

  • #19
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Pbartender's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    The Suburban Frontier of Chicago
    Posts
    6,364

    ° Ignore Pbartender
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Burger
    ooc: ah, cut me some slack shorty, life has a way of happening.

    The bald girl comes back with not only a decanter of wine, but some hot meat rolls, and looks about the group in mild confusion. "Sorry, I had to dodge Mr. Uptight. Leo's still not around, he's probably getting sidetracked on that old zoning issue before the council will help him with this mess-"
    OOC: No problem... I was working the night shift this week, and got a little bored.

    A hand gently accepts the decanter and the tray of meat rolls from the girl's hands. "Thank you kindly, miss. These'll do nicely, if of you please." Refreshments in hand, Jack resumes his position upon the masonry block, and settles in to listen to Leopold's story.

    Quote Originally Posted by Torlax
    "One of our companions has departed momentarily... I think he'll be back soon."
    He hadn't noticed until he spoke up, but Reilin suddenly realizes that his momentarily departed companion has already returned. Had the halfling really been there all the time? Had he ever actually left to begin with? For the life of him, Reilin can't seem to remember.

    OCC: If I'm going to be a little sneak, I might as well do it with style, eh?

  • #20
    Mintrik, guessing that he's the only arcanist present, takes the two arcane wands, the one with the pattern of stone on it, and the one to make us 'fit'.

    "I can guess what the wand that makes us fit do, but what does the first wand, the one that 'seals off the system', do?"
    Last edited by silentspace; Wednesday, 9th June, 2004 at 12:25 AM.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. 101 Unusual Adventure Hooks
      By Stormonu in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 102
      Last Post: Sunday, 5th May, 2013, 12:27 AM
    2. Dragonshard removal?
      By DarkLord Of DForce in forum Older D&D Editions and OSR Gaming
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: Tuesday, 8th December, 2009, 05:22 AM
    3. [Podcast] the Accidental Survivors need Pest Control!
      By FraserRonald in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: Monday, 11th August, 2008, 11:13 AM
    4. Height Men!?
      By Ferret in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
      Replies: 103
      Last Post: Wednesday, 13th June, 2007, 10:06 PM
    5. A Most Unusual Adventure
      By STARP_Social_Officer in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: Saturday, 10th February, 2007, 02:24 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •