Protection from Petrification

Trainz

Explorer
My player was wondering what ways beside Anti-Magic shell that can help against a medusa's Gaze. The are epic (~21st) and are fighting a lair of Paragon Medusas (N.A.S.T.Y.).

So they have acces to most spells/items in the PHB and DMG.

I know a item what grant to the wearer blindsight 30 ft but I don't remember where you can find this,try on this books sorry
A&EG
Races of faerun
Magic of faerun
DofF
MofW
Unaproachable East
when you put this item into your eyes you become blind, If you cannot see the medusa you are inmune to his gaze attack ;)
I hope that helps

Geoff Watson

First Post
Being blind/not looking makes you immune to the medusa's passive gaze attack, but not the active gaze (where the medusa uses a standard action).
It is definately worth doing though.

I suggest keeping your distance, as Gaze attacks have a fairly short range, or concentrate on boosting your saving throws (the save DC is only 28 - rather pathetic for a CR 25 monster). Actually, the paragon medusa is all-round weak for its CR.

Anyway, if you make yourself immune, it'll be no challenge at all. Where's the fun in that?

Geoff.

Steve Jung

Explorer
There are a couple wondrous items in Magic of Faerûn that would fit the bill. One is the Helm of Gazes that'll absorb up to 5 gaze attacks. The other is the Mirror Mask that provides a +5 resistance bonus on saves vs. gaze attacks.

Trainz

Explorer
Geoff Watson said:
Being blind/not looking makes you immune to the medusa's passive gaze attack, but not the active gaze (where the medusa uses a standard action).
It is definately worth doing though.

I suggest keeping your distance, as Gaze attacks have a fairly short range, or concentrate on boosting your saving throws (the save DC is only 28 - rather pathetic for a CR 25 monster). Actually, the paragon medusa is all-round weak for its CR.

Anyway, if you make yourself immune, it'll be no challenge at all. Where's the fun in that?

Geoff.
I put the save DC at 36, according to the Paragon template rules (+13 on the critter's main power or somesuch).

Their first fight: 4 PC's (Minotaur fighter, Cleric, Sorceror, Rogue), 2 medusas.

3 are sleeping, the priest is on watch. The medusas approach silently in the night, surprising the priest. Priest is petrified. The medusas CDG the sleeping rogue and sorceror. Fighter awakes and fights...

...barely manages to win the fight. It came THAT close to being a TPK.

The other fights were better (now that the PC's knew who the critters were, they were prepared).

But you're right, supressing the petrification would destroy the challenge and just give free XP to the PC's. I won't help them further.

Thanks for all the input !

I found the item was I talk before, you can see it in Arms & Equipment Guide
page 130
Blindfold of True Darkness
This black,silky blindfold grants the wielder blindsight ability 60 ft
because the eyes of the wearer are protected he is also inmune to gaze attacks, spells or effects that rely on sight. This item takes up the same space as goggles.you cannot use your vision while wearing this item.
caster lvl 3rd Prereq craft wondrous see invisibility9000gps
enjoy :p

hong

WotC's bitch
Geoff Watson said:

Er, no.

"A creature with a gaze attack can actively gaze as an attack action by choosing a target within range. That opponent must attempt a saving throw but can try to avoid this as described above [averting eyes, being blind]." -- MM, p.309

likuidice

First Post
synesthete from the psi handbook is a gaze protector, as long as you have a light source, it's also only 1st level, so it'd be easy to dip for a level of psion.

Remove ads