Building cost?

poilbrun

Explorer
Hi there!

In the campaign I'm playing, we'll soon have some downtime. As such, each and every one of us wants to settle and we are looking for building costs. We saw the costs for houses in the DMG (p. 151) from which we'll be able to extrapolate the cost for the houses we want. However, the fighter would like to also have a blacksmith shop, and we can't seem to find the cost for this sort of "special" buildings anywhere. Does such information exists? If so, where? I haven't seen anything the like in WotC's stuff, but I may well have overlooked it. Alternatively, how much do you think it would cost?

Thanks for any help...

PS : I don't know if such a post belongs here, but I don't think it really fits any other forums precisely... The mods may feel free to move this if they do not agree (as if they would ask me anyway:D )

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I haven't seen published rules that are that detailed. Maybe if this were moved to house rules you might get more of a response. *shrug*

Who's the DM (you)? Maybe if it isn't you, the DM might have some thoughts on it.

Sorry I'm not much help but I hate to see a thread die when you'd think there would be some sort of finite response to the question. I'm guessing that someone has put some thought into this somewhere, but I'm not that fellow... :(

LcKedovan

Explorer
Well, the way I would handle it in the meantime is fairly simple. You can extrapolate the cost of the house based on size. Then it just comes down to furnishing the place. Artisan's tools are all you need for Craft (5g), plus if you look at the cost for an Alchemist's lab (500gp) you could probably come up with a reasonable estimate for a forge. I'd say 1400-1500gp wouldn't be an unreasonable price for a outfitted forge, with living accomodations above and perhaps even a "storefront".

Just my 2cents.

-Will

LcKedovan

Explorer
Don't have the Q. Fighter, but the stronghold stuff in S&F is fairly vague. It does have some costs for specific Fortresses, but not much that would help in this case I don't think.

-Will

poilbrun

Explorer
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
The Quintessential Fighter and Sword & Fist both have stronghold building costs.
None of these two books really helps in this matter, and they are quite too generic to create a stronghold IMO (even if the QF goes in a bit more depth than S&F). We'll have to wait the release of the Stronghold Builder's Handbook.

Originally posted by LcKedovan
Well, the way I would handle it in the meantime is fairly simple. You can extrapolate the cost of the house based on size. Then it just comes down to furnishing the place. Artisan's tools are all you need for Craft (5g), plus if you look at the cost for an Alchemist's lab (500gp) you could probably come up with a reasonable estimate for a forge. I'd say 1400-1500gp wouldn't be an unreasonable price for a outfitted forge, with living accomodations above and perhaps even a "storefront".
That's more or less the conclusion to which I had arrived too...

Originally posted by Mark
Who's the DM (you)? Maybe if it isn't you, the DM might have some thoughts on it.
Unfortunately, I'm the DM, and the player asked me this, and quite sincerely, I had not idea of the cost myself without extrapolating from the building's costs...

Thanks guys!:D

While we're on this subject...

I also had a question about building costs while we're on the subject. For one, I didn't realize there was an actual part of the DMG that has house costs. LOL that could have helped me a lot last session. We're in a similar situation, downtime and the party has land to settle. Now, the gnome in the party wants to build a stone fortified house, not unlike the Border Keep in the S&F. The only difference was that it wasn't going to be 3 floors above ground and would be about half the dimensions. So, I figured it would be about half what it costs to build it normally. But then I had another thought: does building costs cover the expenses for the materials or does it also pay the wages of the workers? And how many workers does this entail? For instance, right now, that gnome character is having a 40 dwarf team build that house....so what i'm really asking is this: does the building costs cover wages and if not, where in the DMG can i get a list of wages for laborers?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases