Do you have auditions for your gaming group?

Gundark

Explorer
My group which consists of myself (DM) and 4 other players have decided that we would like to add a 5th player. We have selected a person that we think is going to work and are going to give him a trial run before giving him the go ahead. We were joking around as a group that we should have potential players come with a resume :D . I have been playing rpgs for some time and realize that just because someone plays doesn't mean he's going to Gel with the group (We've had some bad xp) . This is why we're selective about who we add. Anybody else like this? How do you add someone? Do you let them in easy? Or do you have a trial run/interview/resume?

Qualidar

First Post
I'm in the same situation as you: I DM + 4 players. I've been lucky enough to be playing with the same core group for the last 16 years, so I haven't had to deal with getting someone new, but based on all the feedback I see on the boards, I would definitely go through an interview with a prospective player. Not a "give me a resume" interview, more like a dinner and conversation interview. You just have to know if the person is compatable as a friend before you decide if they're going to work out as a player.

~Qualidar~

Crothian

First Post
unofficially, yes. I talk to anyone prior to gaming with them and that conversations is ussually about former gaming experiences and current trends they enjoy.

Baron Opal

First Post
I interviewed one couple at a pub with my wife and son to see how they would handle my son running around while we game. The others I settled for a phone interview. I ask ages, professions, and level of transportation. Holding a conversation about a non-gaming topic is a must.

Baron Opal

haiiro

First Post
Gundark said:
How do you add someone?

All of the players in my current campaign either were my friends before I started up the game, or were recommended by friends. In my experience, this is the way to go if possible.

If I needed to bring in someone completely new, I'd definitely let them know up front that it was a trial run -- if they don't like it, or the group's not a good fit, then we part ways (amicably, I'd hope).

I do know a gaming group that conducted interviews, and followed up with trial runs for those they selected. It's a pretty intense, RP-heavy group -- the players all write character journals for each session, there's massive web support, etc.

Zhnov

First Post
Talk to a player about the game for a few minutes, you will learn a lot : how they play (Min/Max, Monte Haul), and why they play.

~o.

Theron

Explorer
Unofficially, we do. Our group (until) recently had been pretty well entrenched with each other for a number of years. To get in, you had to know someone in the gang already. Being able to get along socially away from the game table is pretty much a must for our group.

Normally, any "auditioning" is handled with a one-shot session that didn't have anything to do with the ongoing game.

F'rinstance, our last addition to the group saw a post I made on the Godlike RPG mailing list that mentioned I was in the Houston area and looking to do a one-shot playtest session. He dropped me a line and asked if he could sit in. By the end of the session, we'd decided he was an OK and asked him if he would be interested in joining our regular campaign (Champions at the time).

Volaran

First Post
Auditioning of a sort makes sense to me. I met my regular DM, and now good friend, when I worked at the FLGS and he came buy a few times to discuss character concepts and sit down with me to design something appropriate to his world before I jumped in.

Also, when regular gaming was on hold for a while and I'd advertised on these boards asking to join a group for a while, I made it pretty clear that I'd be perfectly willing to bow out with no hard feelings if styles didn't jive.

When inviting someone who isn't already a friend into the game, I think auditions make great sense.

Remove ads