A Writer Glowing With Pride

I am very pleased to be able to announce that Dragon #321 (which I got in the mail today) contains, not one, but *two* articles by little ol' me. I won't mention their titles - you'll be able to recognize them because they're matched to my screen name.

Of course, I'm extremely happy they accepted my work, and excited to see it in print. There are all sorts of obvious reasons to enjoy getting published, but some unobvious ones as well. One thing that's fun is when somebody - a professional, who you never met - illustrates your article, and you get to see somebody else's visual image of your stuff. It was also a strange thrill to see my name in the Coming Attractions section of #320 - there's something so official about it, like being in an index. (I was in the index of a book once, and it was almost more fun than being in the book itself.)

I have to admit that they did a certain amount of editing. Like most authors, I would of course prefer that not one letter or comma of my writing be altered in any way - but in truth, I have no real complaints. A lot of the editing was for simplicity - cutting down on the number of dice rolls needed, the variety of certain effects, and so on. There's also a tendency to make new things more like existing things, using exisiting mechanisms and formulae. But this is all perfectly understandable, and I liked the way the articles came out.

The glimmerfolk turned out a little more fey/elvish than they were in my draft. And they left out a monster called the spectrum leaper (and the disease it spreads, called "glowing pains"), and a highly flavorful spell called walk into radiance (analogous to shadow walk). Space constraints, no doubt. If people are interested, I'll post them here.

And if any of you fine people here on EN World have any comments about the articles, I'd be happy to hear them.

These are not the first articles I've had in Dragon Magazine. In #109, May 1986, I had an article describing two new character races, the half-satyr and the half-dryad. Look for me again in another 18 years! (Or hopefully sooner.)

The Spectrum Rider

GreyWanderer

First Post
Big Typo.

I too, was waiting to see my name in print in Dragon #322. For all the same reasons you listed.
Unfortunately, the Coming Attractions section of Dragon 321 listed my article (Erebus, Lord of Darkness) with a different auther - a Bennet Marks, who I am certainly not.

I'm hoping it's just a typo in the Coming Attractions, but I know there is a good chance it carries into the actual issue. I let a message on Mr. Serrnetts voicemail, but I'm sure he wont get it until Monday.

Hard to descibe how disappointed I am, or how long the wait is, not knowing. Like you, the excitment of people I've gamed with, those I've lost touch with, seeing my name in print! I was going to frame it, but there is no way I'm going to put it up on the wall with someone elses name on it, even if I did write it.

Very long weekend.

Grey.

The Spectrum Rider said:
I am very pleased to be able to announce that Dragon #321 (which I got in the mail today) contains, not one, but *two* articles by little ol' me. I won't mention their titles - you'll be able to recognize them because they're matched to my screen name.

Of course, I'm extremely happy they accepted my work, and excited to see it in print. There are all sorts of obvious reasons to enjoy getting published, but some unobvious ones as well. One thing that's fun is when somebody - a professional, who you never met - illustrates your article, and you get to see somebody else's visual image of your stuff. It was also a strange thrill to see my name in the Coming Attractions section of #320 - there's something so official about it, like being in an index. (I was in the index of a book once, and it was almost more fun than being in the book itself.)

I have to admit that they did a certain amount of editing. Like most authors, I would of course prefer that not one letter or comma of my writing be altered in any way - but in truth, I have no real complaints. A lot of the editing was for simplicity - cutting down on the number of dice rolls needed, the variety of certain effects, and so on. There's also a tendency to make new things more like existing things, using exisiting mechanisms and formulae. But this is all perfectly understandable, and I liked the way the articles came out.

The glimmerfolk turned out a little more fey/elvish than they were in my draft. And they left out a monster called the spectrum leaper (and the disease it spreads, called "glowing pains"), and a highly flavorful spell called walk into radiance (analogous to shadow walk). Space constraints, no doubt. If people are interested, I'll post them here.

And if any of you fine people here on EN World have any comments about the articles, I'd be happy to hear them.

These are not the first articles I've had in Dragon Magazine. In #109, May 1986, I had an article describing two new character races, the half-satyr and the half-dryad. Look for me again in another 18 years! (Or hopefully sooner.)

The Spectrum Rider

GreyWanderer said:
I too, was waiting to see my name in print in Dragon #322. For all the same reasons you listed.
Unfortunately, the Coming Attractions section of Dragon 321 listed my article (Erebus, Lord of Darkness) with a different auther - a Bennet Marks, who I am certainly not.

I'm hoping it's just a typo in the Coming Attractions, but I know there is a good chance it carries into the actual issue. I let a message on Mr. Serrnetts voicemail, but I'm sure he wont get it until Monday.

Hard to descibe how disappointed I am, or how long the wait is, not knowing. Like you, the excitment of people I've gamed with, those I've lost touch with, seeing my name in print! I was going to frame it, but there is no way I'm going to put it up on the wall with someone elses name on it, even if I did write it.

Very long weekend.

Grey.

Oh gee Grey. I'm very sorry. I'm the Bennet Marks whose name they mistakenly listed in the Coming Attractions with your article.

And I think I have a good understanding of just how disappointed you feel.

For what it's worth: I suspect that, to create the Coming Attractions in #321 (which should have had your name in it), they started by editing the Coming Attractions from #320 (which had my name in it). And they forgot to edit my name, so it got left on top of the description of your article.

If this is the case - and my experience in writing and publishing suggests it is - then it is highly unlikely that the mistake will carry over to your actual article in #322.

I look forward to reading your article, and I look forward to seeing it properly credited. Certainly I will never attempt to take any credit for it myself.

I'm rootin' for ya, here.

The Spectrum Rider

GreyWanderer

First Post
Spectrum:
That was a very cool reply, and a helpful one, too. Feeling a bit better; Sunday wont seem so long now. Thank you.

BTW, I enjoyed your work. I've always liked the Plane of Radiance, and I'm glad you were able to shed some light on it :)

Grey

The Spectrum Rider said:
Oh gee Grey. I'm very sorry. I'm the Bennet Marks whose name they mistakenly listed in the Coming Attractions with your article.

And I think I have a good understanding of just how disappointed you feel.

For what it's worth: I suspect that, to create the Coming Attractions in #321 (which should have had your name in it), they started by editing the Coming Attractions from #320 (which had my name in it). And they forgot to edit my name, so it got left on top of the description of your article.

If this is the case - and my experience in writing and publishing suggests it is - then it is highly unlikely that the mistake will carry over to your actual article in #322.

I look forward to reading your article, and I look forward to seeing it properly credited. Certainly I will never attempt to take any credit for it myself.

I'm rootin' for ya, here.

The Spectrum Rider

GreyWanderer said:
Very long weekend.
Grey.

:) I've been there. For whatever reason, half the books I've written get credited to the cover artist when they're solicited on Amazon, or to the editor on the ordering system at Waldenbooks.

I just sort of laugh at it now, but it used to bother me something fierce.

Is this your first work in print?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Congratulations Spectrum Rider! :)

I really enjoyed the matched Radiance articles; it was interesting to see the new Radiance compared to the old (Positive Quasielemental) version - yours is certainly more liveable!

A few things I thought of when I read the article on the plane itself:

I wish there had been more about how the plane itself connects with other planes - this is meant to be a transitive plane, but the way it talked about the temporary rainbow bridges makes it sound a lot less accessible than the omni-present Ethereal, Astral, or even Shadow. Likewise, being the opposite of Shadow, it would have been cool if you could cross cosmologies with Radiance also (Prisme notwithstanding).

I know if didn't fit the theme of the article, but I couldn't read about the Rainbow Bridge without visions of Norse mythology dancing in my head. ;)

I really wish there had been a few more pages about the planar sites in Radiance. Prisme was interesting, and I really wanted to know more about Conil-a-ald, as there aren't many planar metropolises, and more are always interesting.

Olive

Explorer
GreyWanderer said:

Hope you noticed the post from Sernett in the thread where you first posted about this, apologising, and promising that it wouldn't happen in the actual article.

RSKennan

Explorer
Heh. I was mistakenly attributed with writing a book I didn't have anything to do with on a number of websites. My guess is that the distributor's catalog was wrong.

For the record, R. Scott Kennan did not write the Underdark Adventure Guide. I notified as many people as I could when I first found out, but I don't think it was ever corrected.

Last edited:

Remove ads