PC Creation software, GM software

cats_claw

King of the Wild Frontier
Hello All --

I have been playing with some of the GM software and PC Generation software and I wanted to know what you all thought of the various "biggies" out there?

GM software:
  • Roleplayingmaster
  • DM Genie
  • Campaign Manager (Twin Rose)
  • DM Familiar
  • (are there any others?)

PC Generation software:
  • PC Gen
  • Roleplaying Master
  • Player Genie (DM Genie lite)
  • Metacreations

Has anyone done a competitive review of any of these? How well are they supported?

catsclaw

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
Campaign Suite (Twin Rose) is more PC Creation software than GM Software in my mind. It creates NPCs, it doesn't do combat management.

GMGen, part of PCGen or an add-on, is another GM software.

How well are they supported?
DM Genie, RPM, and DM's Familiar (mine) are all very well supported. We do it because we love it, not because there's much money in it. Ask a question on the message board (DM Genie) or yahoo group (DMF and RPM) and you'll get a quick answer.

A history of changes to DMF is here. You'll see it gets updated pretty frequently.

cats_claw

King of the Wild Frontier
Do you know if people use more than one in unison? For example where does DM familiar shine and where do you think that DM Genie or Roleplaying Master shines?

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
cats_claw said:
Do you know if people use more than one in unison?
DM's Familiar can import stat blocks. There is a specific stat block layout for PCGen and E:Tools. So yes, many people use one of those programs to create NPCs, advanced/templated monsters, etc. and then import them to DMF for use during the game.

DMF also includes Tablesmith as an add-on so that you can use that without having to switch programs.

cats_claw said:
For example where does DM familiar shine and where do you think that DM Genie or Roleplaying Master shines?
The programs have different philosophies. The one you agree with will probably be the one that shines for you.

RPM and DG try to do everything for you. DMF tries to do well the 80% of stuff you spend your time as DM doing and that's it.

For example: Flanking. In RPM and DG, you check a box if flanking is in effect and the program then adds 2 for you. DMF doesn't do flanking at all. It's up to the DM to add 2 in his head to the attack rolls. I think checking that flanking box, then remembering to uncheck it next round, is more trouble than it's worth. RPM and DG think it's a good thing to do.

All 3 programs have free demos. Check each of them out and see which one strikes your style the best.

Mercule

Adventurer
HeroForge is the PC generation software of choice in my group. It's built in Excel/VBA (lots of VBA), but it's better than anything else I've seen.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases