Trying to build an archive of responses from The Sage

jontherev

First Post
The Sage does not like it

In one of my emails, I told him that I would post his response to the boards. He told me not to, that when he was ready for everyone to see it, he would print it himself in Sage Advice. I would post it here, but...:D

I think it was a question about SKill Mastery, and which, if any, skills a rogue could NOT take 10 on. I got an interesting answer. One of my monk questions, he actually used in the latest Dragon in Sage Advice. Mine was the one about holding items, like torches, in one hand and attacking. He made a really weird ruling on that. Still, it's cool to be published!:D

Still, I doubt he'll call his lawyers over this service you are providing.;)

Faragdar

First Post
Re: The Sage does not like it

jontherev said:
Still, I doubt he'll call his lawyers over this service you are providing.
Actually, I went ahead and asked him for permission to do this. He is aware, despite his misgivings and that he hasn't given anyone permission, lots and lots of people repost answers from The Sage on the internet. For that reason he said about my archive project, 1) he doesn't 'officially' know about it, 2) questions and answers should be posted in their entirety, to preserve context, and 3) anything reposted should include a disclaimer that none of this stuff has appeared in print and is subject to change.

Having tacit approval, I decided to go ahead and run with it. Maybe he even realized that there's a chance this will decrease his load on his inbox.

Xahn'Tyr, thanks, I will transcribe it if someone hasn't already beaten me to it.

Last edited:

jontherev

First Post
Re: Re: The Sage does not like it

Faragdar said:

Actually, I went ahead and asked him for permission to do this. He is aware, despite his misgivings and that he hasn't given anyone permission, lots and lots of people repost answers from The Sage on the internet. For that reason he said about my archive project, 1) he doesn't 'officially' know about it, 2) questions and answers should be posted in their entirety, to preserve context, and 3) anything reposted should include a disclaimer that none of this stuff has appeared in print and is subject to change.

Having tacit approval, I decided to go ahead and run with it. Maybe he even realized that there's a chance this will decrease his load on his inbox.

Xahn'Tyr, thanks, I will transcribe it if someone hasn't already beaten me to it.

In that case, I'll post the 3 or 4 emails I've gotten from him.

gamecat

Explorer
Who again declared the "Sage" as a legitimate authority on YOUR game?

I hate people who tell others how to run things.

Crothian

First Post
gamecat said:

Well, some people like to know how the Rules are supposed to work. That's what the Sage does. Considering he is part of the original design team for D&D, he know the ame very well. He is also not telling you how to run your game, people go to him for advice. It'd be different if he posted her and said things like "That's wrong, this is how it is done." But to each his own, no one said you had to follow his advice.:D

kreynolds

First Post
gamecat said:

Oh yeah!? Well...I hate people...that say...like "I hate people who tell others how to run things."! Yeah! So there! :p

I'm just curious, if the Sage isn't a legitimate authority on DnD, then where the heck does that put you? Fodder, maybe? Geez. Chill out, dude. What, did Skip personally wrong you in a past life or something?

gamecat

Explorer
Alignment: Chaotic Good

I never said I was a legitimate authority. I just offer my 2cp quite often, without any provocation.

kreynolds

First Post
gamecat said:
I never said I was a legitimate authority.

Believe me, I didn't say you were at all, neither would I claim that I am. I was just wondering why you were so hostile towards the Sage.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases