Define some genres

Mallus

Legend
Dark Jezter said:
I'm fairly sure Wigpunk would have to involve transvestites in some fashion...

Anyhow...

How about Gnostic Pop? Like Morrison's Invisibles and Neon Genesis Evangelion and hmmm, well, like them.

You know; the secrets of creation revealed by gun-toting bald British anarchist mystics, teenage giant robot pilots, competing malevolent secret societies, explosions, impenetrable exposition, time-travel, sex magic and super-science.

Last edited:

How About

Q: Are We Not Gamers? A: We Are Devo!

Your gang of beautiful mutants must battle the downward spiral of the ninnies and the twits to bring The Truth of De-evolution to the Masses. Duty Now for the Future spudboy!

Maybe like X-Files but funnier, weirder, and featuring distinctly un-sexy heroes and heroines. It's a Beautiful World!

JPL said:
Heh.

Reminds me of the eighties videos like Quiet Riot's "The Wild and the Young", where Big Brother / The Man was trying to stop us from rockin' out in this Orwellian dystopia. Damn you, Tipper Gore!

Having just watched "The 40 Greatest Hair Bands" and "100 Greatest Metal Moments", I could totally imagine a campaign like this, maybe set in an alternate 2087 where the Man has been trying to stop us from rockin' and make us conform for 100 years. But the Metal Underground keeps hope alive, and sings the sacred songs of freedom and rebellion...

We're not gonna take it, no, we're not going to take it. We're not going to take it, anymore.

This also, come to think of it, reminds me of "Starchildren: Velvet Revolution," the glitter rock RPG that came out a few years ago. :eek:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Asmor said:
Actually, Vampires can make pretty good mobsters... Clan Novel: Giovanni was quite a good read (The Giovanni are essentially the mobster clan of V:tM Vampires, hailing from old world Italian blood and having their hand in all sorts of organized crime).

Back over at TROMAville there is a movie called Wiseguys vs Zombies

Freddy Six Times and August Mirabella are two of New York's most feared hitmen, delivering a package to Miami. But the package contains a deadly secret. After inadvertently releasing a plague in the form of the walking dead, the hitmen must rely on their wit and their new cache of firepower to defeat the nemesis, and complete the delivery before the Mob and the Cuban Mafia target them for death.

It's Al Capone to the bone!

Goodfellas fight the deadfellas!

d4

First Post
Fate Lawson said:
d4, that sounds just like the Dog House Gangs weekly fantasy game. A little something we call "The 5 Sultanates". Flying carpets (check), mad genies (check), creepy Assassins (check), power-mad eunuch warlocks (check), whirling dervishes (check), alluring harem girls (check), and lots of flashing scimitar action, PLUS animistic spirits galore, katana-wielding barbarian elvish totem warriors, cloud-walking wuixian rogues wielding twin-ancestral-swords, foo-lions, Rocs, crazy sultans, giants with mechanical familiars, power-mad rakshasas threating world domination, long dead lizard-man mummies, and one large raging, talking dog with a fervent wish to fly.
awesome. :) i knew there was a reason why i loved you guys. first Sidewinder: Recoiled and now this!

as if it needs to be said, i would love to see your Five Sultanates setting as a DHR product, whether print or PDF. *hint hint*

JPL

Adventurer
Oh, I got another one....PULPSPLOITATION.

Pulp meets blaxsploitation. Black heroes in the 1930s. How does Indiana Jones, or the Shadow, or Doc Savage, change if we make all the lead characters African-American? A blend of high adventure with the actual historical realities of being "colored" in the first half of the last century.

As with seventies blaxploitation, there would be some social commentary --- but also other cultural elements, like the music and fashion.

There's an obscure comic book character called Blackjack who fits the genre perfectly, and another indy press is developing a black John Carter-type character. "Harlem Nights" and Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal" would be interesting reference points, too.

JPL

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
Hell, anything combined with blaxsploitation is cool. After all, I like my women like I like my coffee -- hot and black.

Then I can dig it.

Test that hypothesis, JD. Gimmee a f'rinstance.

Oh, here's one --- COWSPLOITATION. Black Western. "Posse" with Mario Van Peebles is the best example --- cowboy action, but also some social and historical commentary, and with an "outlaw" feel that John Shaft would appreciate.

[Now that I mention it...Richard Roundtree has played a cowboy a time or two...]

Asmor

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Hell, anything combined with blaxsploitation is cool. After all, I like my women like I like my coffee -- hot and black.

Wuxiasploitation? A bunch of kung-fu-kickin' Shaft-Bruce Lee amalgamations? Hell yeah.

Gomez

First Post
Horror Noir

Have a hard nosed flatfoot from the 30's and 40's and throw in some supernatural elements. Think Sam Spade meets Lovecraft. There was a couple of movies made with this style: "Cast a Deadly Spell" and "Witch Hunt".

Last edited:

Remove ads