Let's fix Armor of Speed without turning it into Boots of Speed...

Anubis

First Post
Okay, that's the challenge. How do we fic the Armor of Speed without turning it into Boots of Speed? Ideas?

Here are a couple of my thoughts:

1) Get rid of it altogether, it's too broken to fix.

2) Make it +5.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I've allowed it as a +7 equivilent. This stops players from taking heavy (or medium) fortification, which is a high enough price already (I think).

hong

WotC's bitch
How does simply granting an extra attack per round (like a weapon of speed, or bracers of blinding strike from MoF) strike people? That should probably still be at least a +5 or +6 enchantment. Actually, a fixed cost (since the benefit is independent of the armour's protection) might be more appropriate -- say, 50,000 gp?

Artoomis

First Post
This conversation has certainly happened before.

If I remember right, my opinion was that a +7 bonus for cost was about right - I recall some good analysis for that, but I don't remember what it was.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Artoomis said:
If I remember right, my opinion was that a +7 bonus for cost was about right

I know it was suggested by one or two of the designers, but I can't remember which one(s). (Sound familiar? I should write this stuff down.)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Artoomis said:
A far as it being +7, that's because:

+5 for AC bonus (it must be at least the value of the AC boost)
+1 more because it's not an armor bonus (a haste bonus), so it is stackable with bracers, etc.
+1 more for the extra partial action.

So, at least +7.

This is a bad breakdown.

+4 covers the AC bonus - sure it stacks with armor, but what are you going to do about that? Wear +1 padded armor of speed and +8 bracers of armor for a total 128,155 gp? An 82,100 gp +4 mithral shirt of speed would serve you better, and is more flexible (AC can increase further).

The +5 for AC bonus and +1 for stackable should be condensed into a +4, leaving +3 for a single partial action (you don't need to cast haste) and the other benefits (jumping, etc.).

Artoomis

First Post
Re-reading it, I see the AC bonus is +4. So that's the starting point.

I'd then add +1 for being a none-enhancement bonus that's extremely stackable (I still think that's valid)

Then another +1 or +2 for the extra partial action each round.

So if it's a +7 bonus, you START at +8 (it's got to be +1 to start with), leaving only a +2 bonus left to work with.

Seems reasonable.

Remove ads